Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 15, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,576 of 18,900
Chord DACs are bass monsters, I think the Hugo 2 probably outclasses any R2R DAC in bass let alone the Hugo TT 2. They are also the most transparent DACs by clear margins to my ears, and the most full bodied (the Stax SR-009 and KGSSHV Carbon make this so obvious with practically any acoustic instrument), but I doubt the Hugo TT 2 will be warm and dark, the Hugo 2 and above seem intended to be uncolored in that regard.

Curious if you have tried any Audio-gd dacs and your impressions? I'm considering getting either a Chord or Audio-gd currently.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,577 of 18,900
Stax SR-009 or SR-009S by far. I still can't get over how transparent they are. Many times more transparent than any non electrostat and they make DAC changes so evident. The SR-009 plus KGSSHV Carbon is what made me 100% certain that Chord DACs are the best to my ears.
I'm holding out for the day that Chord makes an amplifier to drive electrostatic headphones. That will be when I seriously consider getting a pair of electrostatic headphones...

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,578 of 18,900
Stax SR-009 or SR-009S by far. I still can't get over how transparent they are. Many times more transparent than any non electrostat and they make DAC changes so evident. The SR-009 plus KGSSHV Carbon is what made me 100% certain that Chord DACs are the best to my ears.

I don't want the Mojo's laid back sound signature though. I would prefer the Hugo 2 tonality. I predict the Hugo TT 2 will be closer to the DAVE which I think has similar tonality to the Hugo 2? Not sure.

The DAVE has more ‘oomph’ than the Hugo2 and more ‘space’. Deeper and more present bass while sounding more detailed and transparent at the same time with better texture. I really like the Hugo2 but the DAVE is clearly more transparent and analogue-like to my ears. If talking only about tonality I would say DAVE is a little closer to Mojo’s warmth, but that’s a gross injustice of the sound and capabilities of the DAVE. Compared directly to the DAVE the Mojo sounds congested so there’s much more than just tonality involved. IMO of course.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #1,579 of 18,900
Curious if you have tried any Audio-gd dacs and your impressions? I'm considering getting either a Chord or Audio-gd currently.

I sold my Audio-GD DAC-19 after I received my Mojo. I was on the fence about getting the Master 7 as an upgrade but opted for the DAVE instead (disclaimer: I never ended up listening to the Master 7).

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #1,580 of 18,900

None unfortunately. I happened to come across Chord first, and because of how much I prefer the Hugo 2 to any DAC I have used, I am Chord for life. I feel like any DAC other than the Hugo 2 and presumably DAVE, Hugo TT 2, and possibly Qutest ruins my system haha.

I'm holding out for the day that Chord makes an amplifier to drive electrostatic headphones. That will be when I seriously consider getting a pair of electrostatic headphones...

I don't foresee that ever happening, and I think it might hard to imagine an amp significantly better than the Gilmore designs. Especially the Circlotron if those ever see the light of day.

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,581 of 18,900

I don't want the Mojo's laid back sound signature though. I would prefer the Hugo 2 tonality. I predict the Hugo TT 2 will be closer to the DAVE which I think has similar tonality to the Hugo 2? Not sure.

What's the equivalent that aren't electrostatic?

Aug 15, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #1,582 of 18,900

The most similar I have come across is the Focal Utopia, but that's not close at all. There's really no substitute.

The HE1000s and thus presumably the Susvara are also more transparent than most other non electrostats, but still not nearly as transparent or revealing of the rest of the chain.

Aug 15, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,583 of 18,900

The best non-stats are the Susvara and Abyss Phi. I like the Phi more than the 009 and Susvara is pretty darn good with proper gear. But i have a problem with Susvara build quilty. So better wait for Susvara Version 2. If dont care about build quality than Susvara is...

Other than those 2 modern headphones. Sony MDR-R10 is king I say. 30 years later still the king.

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,584 of 18,900
Wow, those Klipsch MySphere headphones are pretty funky looking. Great for people whose ears get hot and sweaty.

Just finished re-rip of Wally Badarou Echoes album and took a listen after probably not listening for over a decade, sounds so much better than I remember so investing in good gear is worth it!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #1,585 of 18,900
Wow, those Klipsch MySphere headphones are pretty funky looking. Great for people whose ears get hot and sweaty.

Just finished re-rip of Wally Badarou Echoes album and took a listen after probably not listening for over a decade, sounds so much better than I remember so investing in good gear is worth it!

Made by Klipsch? i dont think thats right...

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #1,586 of 18,900
Aug 22, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #1,588 of 18,900
So when are they gonna lower the price to reasonable price so people actually purchase the thing? Why $1000 price increase over the original TT is? I doubt many would buy this price being so high
Just think from a different view point. TT2 is an advanced TT plus a 18w Dx amp! 1000 dollar increase is a bargain price for a very good DAC and the most transparent amp combination.

At least, that is how I convince myself buying TT2!!

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,589 of 18,900
I'm currently not an owner but going to get TT 2. How long ago you bought your TT also plays a role. Everything goes up...

Aug 22, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,590 of 18,900
Yeah the amp section ought to significantly add to the cost. Beastly amp that I'm not even going to make use of. I sure would like a model without the hardcore amplification, if indeed it'd reduce the price a lot.

I figure those who were ok with ~$4500 on the TT would be willing to go up to $5400 for the TT 2. Otherwise there is always the Hugo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back