Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 23, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #766 of 18,900
Did you get to hear the Zenith Statement compared to the SE?

Yes I did. Innuos and Fanthorpes had a joint room and Innuos were repeating the SE and Statement comparison that they had done at Munich.

The SE and Statement were feeding into a Chord Dave. When swopped from the SE to the Statement I could hear a clear difference and which was immediately noticeable. Everything was clearer, more resolved and this applied all the way from deep bass through to the top end. It was a very impressive demonstration.

However, I was interested in how it might sound in my system and so I had taken my Blu2 complete with my WAVE High Fidelity BNC cables to be able to connect a Blu2 to the Dave in the demonstation at the show.

With the Blu2 and WAVE cables now in the system the difference between the SE and Statement was somewhat more subtle (at least to my ears) but it was still there. The Statement had cleaner and more defined bass, the mids and treble were more enjoyable. The whole presentation of the music was just more enjoyable.

On a purely personal basis I think that if I was to rank the combinations I would put them in this order.

Best.
Innuos Statement feeding Blu2 and Dave with WAVE bnc cables.

Second place.
Innuos SE feeding Blu2 and Dave with WAVE bnc cables.

Third place.
Innuos Statement feeding Dave.

For me this just reinforces that a well sorted Blu2/Dave combination is very difficult to beat no matter what the source. I was also left wondering whether the cables between the Blu2 and Dave were filtering out other stuff from getting into the Dave apart from the RF generated by the Blu2. This could explain the more subtle difference between SE and Statement when the WAVE bnc cables with their Rf filtering effect are in the system.

Overall though, which ever way you look at it, the Statement does improve on the SE. That is quite an achievement because the SE is a class act.

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #767 of 18,900
Looks like this uses a fairly standard wall wart power supply? So I could possibly replace it with something like a Sigma 22?

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #769 of 18,900
Hmm, there still seems to be no information from Chord regarding the actual weight of a TT2?
Maybe not the most important aspect to consider for most potential buyers.
But I would be interested to know how it would compare in weight to my current travel DAC Qutest which I am using with a Benchmark headphone amp.
I already know by now that Qutest clearly outperforms the internal DAC of my Benchmark amp. But would aTT2 outweigh the combination of Qutest and my Benchmark in my carry-on luggage or not?
Or will my peace of mind materialize in the form of a neat and cheap little M-scaler to be added to my current setup soon?
PS. In spite of its added weight over its predecessor,my current reference rca cables tilts Qutest off axis by the way.

Cheers Christer

On my kitchen scales it weighs 2.7 kg.
And it's more transportable than a Dave, so no problems in using it on travels - I have used one a lot recently.

Looks like this uses a fairly standard wall wart power supply? So I could possibly replace it with something like a Sigma 22?

No it's not a fairly standard unit - I went through a lot of units before approving this one. It measures extremely well - giving the same measurements connected and disconnected (measuring wideband). Also, SQ wise, disconnecting the unit makes no difference (TT will run for 10 seconds with no power). A linear PSU will almost certainly make it sound worse, as the audiophile ones have no RF filtering, unlike the supplied PSU. Moreover, linear supplies create much more magnetic noise, measurable audio BW noise, worse leakage currents (interwinding capacitance is much larger on a toroidal transformer) and are transparent to mains bourne RF noise. And they are horribly inefficient, and this can in itself degrade SQ. So absolutely not recommended.

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #770 of 18,900
On my kitchen scales it weighs 2.7 kg.
And it's more transportable than a Dave, so no problems in using it on travels - I have used one a lot recently.

No it's not a fairly standard unit - I went through a lot of units before approving this one. It measures extremely well - giving the same measurements connected and disconnected (measuring wideband). Also, SQ wise, disconnecting the unit makes no difference (TT will run for 10 seconds with no power). A linear PSU will almost certainly make it sound worse, as the audiophile ones have no RF filtering, unlike the supplied PSU. Moreover, linear supplies create much more magnetic noise, measurable audio BW noise, worse leakage currents (interwinding capacitance is much larger on a toroidal transformer) and are transparent to mains bourne RF noise. And they are horribly inefficient, and this can in itself degrade SQ. So absolutely not recommended.

But Rob......... some enthusiasts must just change a power supply, it's in their DNA :)

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #771 of 18,900

Thank you for the response Rob. One of my favorite things about Chord is that one can ask and get a proper response.

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #772 of 18,900
the nice part is that the designer makes statements about power supply(after many years of studies and projects) and the audiophile always beats on the same topics like the linear power supply LOL

Jun 24, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #778 of 18,900
Jun 24, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #779 of 18,900
Given what's been said what is the optimal solution for a mains power strip that would work in harmony with the supplied power supply.

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #780 of 18,900
Electricity is necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back