Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 22, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #751 of 18,907
@Rob Watts

I want to bring my reference headphones - HD800 with SD mod, Cardas Clear balanced cable terminated with male 4-pin XLR - to London to try with the TT 2 and whatever other goodies are coming out.

What is the best type of adapter for the TT 2 for this use case? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Female-Hi-end-Silver-Adapter/dp/B010NCR8GI, with the 2 x 3-pin XLRs attached to the XLR outputs in the back?

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't something like this adapter cheapen the audio quality? Wouldn't it be better to have someone make you a custom adapter using higher quality wire instead?

Yeah that's something that concerns me.

If anyone finds any quality adapters like from eg QED etc, then please let us know. Even then it's a bit hit and miss.

I think the shorter the length of the adapter the better, if it's cheap quality.

Shielding is also key. Plus quality of copper, and connecters.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #752 of 18,907
North West Audio Show 2018

Venue: De Vere Cranage Estate, Byley Lane, Holmes Chapel, Cheshire CW4 8EW

Date(s): Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th June 2018

Chord Electronics and KEF Speakers will be exhibiting the following hi-fi equipment:-

Show-System 1: KEF Ref.1 speakers with the Chord Choral hi-fi system (featuring the Blu, Dave and the new Etude power-amplifier)

Show-System 2: the new Hugo TT-2 with TToby power-amp featuring the much heralded KEF LS50 loudspeakers

Come see and hear these wonderful hi-fi systems... free-entry, free-parking, 'live' music and plenty more.

35882675_1390198727746811_6670023557159845888_o.jpg

Chord Hugo TT2 - TToby - KEF LS50 Loudspeakers

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #753 of 18,907
@Rob Watts

I want to bring my reference headphones - HD800 with SD mod, Cardas Clear balanced cable terminated with male 4-pin XLR - to London to try with the TT 2 and whatever other goodies are coming out.

What is the best type of adapter for the TT 2 for this use case? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Female-Hi-end-Silver-Adapter/dp/B010NCR8GI, with the 2 x 3-pin XLRs attached to the XLR outputs in the back?

https://nordost.com/downloads/Combined Headphone Cable termination chart_outlines.pdf

You could try the above.

I have the headphone cable and a 2HEHP2XLRF for LCD4 and a SE connection to compare..... and quality not compromised.

I could bring to the show ….?

The range is very extensive and if you change any hardware you can always purchase an adaptor to match.

Hope that helps

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #754 of 18,907
Jun 22, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #755 of 18,907
Jun 22, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #756 of 18,907
Clive, just realised you’ve already highlighted the need for 2 x female XLRS!

When I am reunited with Dave I will check the connections...
Personaly I would go down the SE route although have not tried the XLR connections. Dave powers the LCD4 well without an amp, I did try with two gold Questyle mono amps but could not hear any advantage.
Many do say more power helps could any one explain how extra power helps with SQ....?

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #757 of 18,907
@Rob Watts

18V RMS into a HD800! Will bring the fire extinguishers...

Those adaptors seem OK to me, but bring your regular 1/4" cables too to use the SE connection. As others have posted, in the long term adaptors are not a good idea - they do degrade the SQ quite noticeably.

Edit - just read the posts about the XLR's yes TT2 OP is male, so you would need female XLR to 4 pin like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Female-Balan..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=7XMYCJP8XVY3B21M6QWJ

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #759 of 18,907
I’m just at the North West HiFi Show in the UK. I’ve not been before but for anyone thinking of going it is a great show and I’m glad I came. It is free entry.

And of course Chord have the Hugo TT2 here.

681BC3E4-72A3-4863-BC14-81A775C8EFB1.jpeg

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #761 of 18,907
how does the TT-2&TToby sound with the LS50 speakers?... I'm genuinely interested.

Sorry but I listened to the Blu2/Dave/Etude. It was a flying visit and I’m on the way back now having done my target rooms including the Innuos Zenith Statement on the other side of the corridor to Chord.

Jun 23, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #762 of 18,907
Hmm, there still seems to be no information from Chord regarding the actual weight of a TT2?
Maybe not the most important aspect to consider for most potential buyers.
But I would be interested to know how it would compare in weight to my current travel DAC Qutest which I am using with a Benchmark headphone amp.
I already know by now that Qutest clearly outperforms the internal DAC of my Benchmark amp. But would aTT2 outweigh the combination of Qutest and my Benchmark in my carry-on luggage or not?
Or will my peace of mind materialize in the form of a neat and cheap little M-scaler to be added to my current setup soon?
PS. In spite of its added weight over its predecessor,my current reference rca cables tilts Qutest off axis by the way.

Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #763 of 18,907
Hmm, there still seems to be no information from Chord regarding the actual weight of a TT2?... Maybe not the most important aspect to consider for most potential buyers... But I would be interested to know how it would compare in weight to my current travel DAC Qutest which I am using with a Benchmark headphone amp... But would aTT2 outweigh the combination of Qutest and my Benchmark in my carry-on luggage or not?... Cheers Christer

Christer, I'll ask Chord and get the approximate weight for you.... it'll probably be Mon/Tues before I get back to you, the office is closed for the weekend, hth.

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #764 of 18,907
I’m just at the North West HiFi Show in the UK. I’ve not been before but for anyone thinking of going it is a great show and I’m glad I came. It is free entry.

And of course Chord have the Hugo TT2 here.

Did you write the serial number down of the chord hugo TT 2,don't want nintronics palming me off with a ex demo unit lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back