Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 26, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #797 of 18,886
18V RMS into a HD800! Will bring the fire extinguishers...

Those adaptors seem OK to me, but bring your regular 1/4" cables too to use the SE connection. As others have posted, in the long term adaptors are not a good idea - they do degrade the SQ quite noticeably.

Edit - just read the posts about the XLR's yes TT2 OP is male, so you would need female XLR to 4 pin like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Female-Balan..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=7XMYCJP8XVY3B21M6QWJ

Thanks Rob!

I'm always annoyed when expensive cables sound better - somehow, I resent spending money on cables far more than on components. But my issues aside :confounded:, I have found the Cardas Clear cables to profoundly improve my HD800. I know ideally I would have separate cables for the SE 1/4" and the 2 x 3-pin XLR, but that gets expensive in a hurry.

I'll come prepped to London. Can't wait to hear the goodies!

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #798 of 18,886
Batteries are not noise free. I found that out when I made a battery supply for my SDtrans 384 (a minimalistic SD card digital transport/server). Of the batteries I tried the standard Li-Iion batteries had the most noise and the least LiFePo batteries. All electrochemical processes have some noise (obviously much lower the a bad designed linear power supply).
One issue is that batteries have a limited lifespan (and increasing noise at the end of it). At least if they would be user replaceable it would be cheaper and less interruptive than sending in e.g. a Mojo.
Vinnie Rossi made first battery powered amps etc. but now switched to ultra-caps for significant sound improvements and and Uptone Audio Ultracap LPS is considered the PS of choice by many at Computeraudiophile.
So I think the sound improvements of the TT2 are not only derived from computational improvements but also from replacing batteries with ultra-caps in the PS. It would interesting to see if supplying the TT2 with battery power instead of the supplied SMPS would be an improvement.

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #799 of 18,886
imho select a bit less than max volume on your amp and use Hugo 2 volume control. too much analog attenuation reduces depth perception and soundstage feels artificially wide. I have experienced this with mojo used with integrated amp.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #800 of 18,886
No one said removing the batteries improved SQ!

If that's the case, then I'm still not sure why the batteries were removed in the first place. I'm guessing it has to do with the amount of power Chord wanted in the TT2. It seems like Chord wanted a dac/amp that would power any headphones and possible efficient speakers. If so, then I guess it was necessary to remove the batteries.

Jun 26, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #802 of 18,886
If that's the case, then I'm still not sure why the batteries were removed in the first place. I'm guessing it has to do with the amount of power Chord wanted in the TT2. It seems like Chord wanted a dac/amp that would power any headphones and possible efficient speakers. If so, then I guess it was necessary to remove the batteries.
Capacitors are able to supply the voltage to music transients faster.
Apart from that, there will inevitably be hundreds of posts, both for and against, using third party power supplies.
I have not tried such power supplies, so you will have to make your own mind about them.

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #804 of 18,886
Absolutely love my Mr speakers Aeon open headphones, be a perfect match for my hugo TT 2,my end game headphones until next week
I’ve read good things about the Aeons. From your feedback on some high-end headphones, I sense that we have similar tastes in sound signature, so I’m very interested in your assessment of them! Thanks Paul.
By the way, what happens next week?

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #805 of 18,886
I’ve read good things about the Aeons. From your feedback on some high-end headphones, I sense that we have similar tastes in sound signature, so I’m very interested in your assessment of them! Thanks Paul.

He sells all his gear, then comes on here to talk about it again and ask again what headphones he should try.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #806 of 18,886
Next week Mr speakers Ether lol was joking mate, these headphones are really detailed but smooth as well, the bass is amazing for a open headphone,yes you hear more with the Utopia but it's way to bright for me, I could sit down for hours listening to these, can't believe I got mine for 540 pounds they only 3 months old and mint

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #809 of 18,886
lol, yep, just givin' ya ****. Of all the usernames I recognize on here, you seem to really enjoy changing things up lol.

Hey, if ya got the money and the means.
Well I appreciate you giving me **** and you have the money and the means with the hugo 2 and Utopia that bright piercing to the ear drum thingy lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back