Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Jan 11, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #3,466 of 3,643
I'd appreciate recommendations for over-the-ear BT phones under $300 that are relatively lightweight, comfortable, neutral sonic signature without EQ, decent bass extension, low hiss, aptX support, and usb-c charging. Thanks!

(any comments on B&O H4 gen2 vs. B&W PX also appreciated)

It sounds like your describing the H4 gen2 exactly! I recently posted on this thread with my impressions.

I can't comment on a direct comparison with the PX but from what I've read the PX have pretty poor comfort and very mixed reviews regarding sound! I could never get on with the comfort of the P7 Wireless despite their amazing sound, and supposedly the PX have firmer ear cups and more clapping force than the P7.

It might also be worth considering the original H4's? I was hesitant when purchasing a headphone without Aptx but in my experience some headphones still get surprising results from SBC, to the point where it's very hard to tell the difference between the two codecs! For reference here's an interesting article on the subject; https://www.rtings.com/headphones/learn/sbc-aptx-which-bluetooth-codec-is-the-best.

I only got to try the gen2 in store but to me they sounded identical. I've also tested the originals back to back with AAC and sbc on my android phone and again I couldn't tell the difference. It would be interesting to know if the gen2 sound any better with a proper test at home but considering they're more than double the price (£119 against £250) I can't justify the cost when the only real upgrade is usb type c! I also much prefer the look of the originals. Please ask if you have any more questions?

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #3,468 of 3,643
Thanks, I just ordered a pair of H4 (orig).

Good to hear! Will be very interested to hear your impressions once you've had chance to try them?

Out of interest how much did you end up paying? For the £119 I paid here in the UK you'd struggle to get anything anywhere near the same quality in this price range! Sure you miss out on Aptx, usb type c, and ANC but for pure sound quality, build, comfort and reliability they're up there with the very best!

You mentioned in another thread about whether the EQ setting within the B&O app is stored to the headphones and remains even after powering off or connecting to another source. You'll be pleased to know that the EQ does indeed remain and you can save multiple profiles for different sources, genres of music etc.

I found that by putting the EQ somewhere in the middle of 'warm' as shown in the screen shot below, it helped tame some of the brightness out of the box and gave a bit more depth to the bass.

If your interested in fine tuning the sound even further and your an Android user then you should consider using 'RE Equalizer'. It's vastly superior to anything else on the Play Store and can only be matched by something like Viper4android which would require the phone to be rooted. It's also system wide so the EQ will work with Spotify etc or any other media you use.

Screenshot_20200111_170520_com.bang_olufsen.OneApp.jpg

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #3,469 of 3,643
I actually purchased it used, with a 30-day return privilege. I can't find it anywhere new for near the price you paid.

One question - when you use the apps like you describe to change the EQ, are the changes retained through power cycling and connect/disconnect of the headphones?

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #3,470 of 3,643
I actually purchased it used, with a 30-day return privilege. I can't find it anywhere new for near the price you paid.

One question - when you use the apps like you describe to change the EQ, are the changes retained through power cycling and connect/disconnect of the headphones?

The B&O app saves the profile to the headphones themselves and will keep it stored until you go back into the app and change it. It doesn't matter what source you connect to the stored EQ profile remains in the headphones.

RE Equalizer can be set to override the phones "core" sound profile or set to automatically open with certain music players/streaming services, and even allows you to automatically link stored profiles to a Bluetooth connection/wired connection etc. Obviously it will only work while using the phone the app is installed on.

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #3,471 of 3,643
I also want to plug the KEF Spaceone Wireless, it has AptX, NC isn't great, but the build, looks and sound quality are great and the price is greatly discounted as the headphone just didn't take off. I think it is actually an extremely well done signature so I hope somebody else in this thread has heard it, or tries it so I can see what others think of it. I just wish that it played a little louder, like the B&O H7 was for me, it is almost loud enough, really close. I am taking that as a sign that the universe is telling me that I need to listen more quietly.

Jan 12, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #3,472 of 3,643
I also want to plug the KEF Spaceone Wireless, it has AptX, NC isn't great, but the build, looks and sound quality are great and the price is greatly discounted as the headphone just didn't take off. I think it is actually an extremely well done signature so I hope somebody else in this thread has heard it, or tries it so I can see what others think of it. I just wish that it played a little louder, like the B&O H7 was for me, it is almost loud enough, really close. I am taking that as a sign that the universe is telling me that I need to listen more quietly.

Yeah I'm big fan of kef, they're a renowned British loudspeaker manufacturer that have been producing beautifully constructed speakers for over 60 years now! I used to own the iQ5 floorstanders which I sorely miss.

I'd love to try the space ones some time but the volume limit does put me off a little. That's another great plus with the H4's, as they're up there with the loudest Bluetooth headphones I've tested.

Jan 17, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #3,473 of 3,643
Good to hear! Will be very interested to hear your impressions once you've had chance to try them?
Quick first sonic impression of the H4 (gen 1) is quite favorable. They're very comfy, very listenable, balanced response, good bass, and sweet treble. They sound good with a wide variety of music. And the hiss level is virtually inaudible (yay).

They also sound good when wired, which I need to do with my laptop (just won't put out much volume over its BT).

Ergonomically, the control buttons/LED aren't great and the PDF manual is a joke in its incompleteness.

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #3,474 of 3,643
Quick first sonic impression of the H4 (gen 1) is quite favorable. They're very comfy, very listenable, balanced response, good bass, and sweet treble. They sound good with a wide variety of music. And the hiss level is virtually inaudible (yay).

They also sound good when wired, which I need to do with my laptop (just won't put out much volume over its BT).

Ergonomically, the control buttons/LED aren't great and the PDF manual is a joke in its incompleteness.

Really pleased to hear that so far they've made a good impression!

Yeah the button layout is a bit frustrating but you do get used to it, and I'm more than happy to overlook it if that's one of the only downsides! They do fix it on the gen2.

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #3,475 of 3,643
I'm looking for Bluetooth closed over-ear headphones.
I'm a basshead, so the more bass, the better.
It'd be nice if the headphones accept Brainwavz earpads.
Also, I have an extra large head.
And I'd like to keep it under $65, though I know that may not be possible
I will not be using an equalizer.

I ordered a pair of TaoTronics TT-BH060
https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Cancelling-Headphones-Bluetooth-SoundSurge/dp/B07TWK4V1H

If I don't like those, I plan to order a pair of Avantree AS9S
https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Audition-Headphones-Comfortable-Lightweight/dp/B07VYK5L87
unless someone has a better idea.

Basically I'm looking for specific headphone recommendations.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #3,476 of 3,643
As someone with a large head but (more importantly) large ears, I still can't recommend anything better than the Sony WH-1000XM3. Now, if your ears aren't large perhaps you'll find much better, but these are the only ones I've ever found to be comfortable over my own head and ears (everything else is WAY too tight). They have great bass, great overall sound but are way out of your price range (so perhaps others here will have other suggestions).

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #3,477 of 3,643
I have an extra large head and extra large ear holes.
I don't know how big my ears are, though.
They fit fine in my over-ear headphones that are in my signature.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #3,478 of 3,643
I received these items today.
I think I'm going to return both.

The headphones have many problems.
The maximum volume is not high enough.
The overall sound quality isn't that great.
When the media volume is low, it sounds downright awful.
There isn't enough bass.
And I'm not sure if I can remove the ear pads.

I just ordered these headphones...
Avantree Audition Pro:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A0EAYDI

And this Bluetooth transmitter...
Avantree Priva III:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5KKUR0

The Avantree Priva III Bluetooth transmitter is really good for one or two pairs of Avantree Audition Pro headphones, in case I want to get another pair.
Eventually, we'll see if I'm happy with these upgrades.

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #3,479 of 3,643
What would you recommend as the best, cost-no-object, closed Bluetooth headphone? I would prefer one that can receive redbook CD losslessly (what Bluetooth profile is that... Aptx HD?) I prefer exciting signatures (e.g. Grado, HiFiMAN HE1000) over flat accurate signatures (e.g. Sennheiser HD800), but not artificial deep or muddy bass. I prefer those that excel with small jazz ensembles with female vocalist. I don't need noise cancellation (but will take it if it does not jeopardize sound), I prefer over-ear to on-ear, and it would be nice, but not necessary, to have iPhone controls built in (play, skip, repeat, pause, volume).

I have the Sennheiser Momentum 2 AE (Around Ear), the Parrot Zik (the original, not the -2 or -3), the Grado GW100 (open, not closed), and the V-MODA Crossfade M100 Wireless (the original, not the newest one that folds up).

What more recent is better? Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #3,480 of 3,643
I just ordered these headphones...
Avantree Audition Pro:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A0EAYDI

And this Bluetooth transmitter...
Avantree Priva III:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5KKUR0

The Avantree Priva III Bluetooth transmitter is really good for one or two pairs of Avantree Audition Pro headphones, in case I want to get another pair.
Eventually, we'll see if I'm happy with these upgrades.
I received these items yesterday, and opened them today.
The Avantree headphones have none of the problems that the TaoTronics headphones have.
I absolutely love them.
The Avantree has plenty of bass with "bass boost" off.
With "bass boost" on, it probably has too much bass for many people, but it doesn't bother me so far.
It sounds just fine.
The stock ear pads seem to be very comfortable, though they are a little bit on my ears.
I have some Brainwavz sheepskin ovals that I'll put on if I feel the need, but so far the stock ear pads are good enough for me.
If I wouldn't have liked these headphones, I was going to give up on Bluetooth.
I would also have to return four items to Amazon instead of just two.
I was not looking forward to that.
I really am surprised at how much I like the Avantree headphones.
I thought they would have some of the same problems as the TaoTronics pair.
The Avantree headphones aren't for everyone (no headphones are), but they check all the boxes for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back