Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Dec 11, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,666 of 3,643
Hello there!

I found this forum by looking for reviews for the M2BT and after Giorgio's review I felt rather confused or uncertain if those headphones were the right pick for me.

I need some help to find some good BT headphones for both listening to music as well as using them for my computer, in other words an all round headphone.

My current setup are a pair of Sennheiser Momentum On Ear which are starting to break down, which I use with my iPhone 6 or my MacBook Pro.

The M2BT looks really attractive to me, I think they are estetically my taste and most people seem to really like the sound quality, however as Giorgio mentioned they have some problems with BT?

What would you do in my situation? Would you go for another pair (on ear is my preference) or go for the M2BT? My budget is approx. 200-220 euros.

Thankful for tips!
/Fred

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #1,667 of 3,643
Do you mean the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Over Ear Bluetooth when you say M2BT? 

If so,  their current version has the bluetooth problem fixed and is said to sound great.  The only challenge now is to be sure you get the new version, which must have been made in the last 3 or so months, rather than left-over old version, around since February or so.  I do not know whether the new version has a new version number, but likely does.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #1,669 of 3,643
Hello there!

I found this forum by looking for reviews for the M2BT and after Giorgio's review I felt rather confused or uncertain if those headphones were the right pick for me.

I need some help to find some good BT headphones for both listening to music as well as using them for my computer, in other words an all round headphone.

My current setup are a pair of Sennheiser Momentum On Ear which are starting to break down, which I use with my iPhone 6 or my MacBook Pro.

The M2BT looks really attractive to me, I think they are estetically my taste and most people seem to really like the sound quality, however as Giorgio mentioned they have some problems with BT?

What would you do in my situation? Would you go for another pair (on ear is my preference) or go for the M2BT? My budget is approx. 200-220 euros.

Thankful for tips!
/Fred

I bought M2BT couple of months back. Sound quality is good with Macbook+aptx but not good using my iphone though it supports AAC codec

I bought MDR-1ABT now and quiet happy with iphone (AAC). Sounds great with Macbook (aptx). Also comfort is way better than M2BT as I couldn't listen to M2BT more than 2 hours

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #1,670 of 3,643

I bought M2BT couple of months back. Sound quality is good with Macbook+aptx but not good using my iphone though it supports AAC codec

I bought MDR-1ABT now and quiet happy with iphone (AAC). Sounds great with Macbook (aptx). Also comfort is way better than M2BT as I couldn't listen to M2BT more than 2 hours

Yes I meant the Philips M2BT.
Too bad that they don't got good quality on the iPhone.

Is there some other kind of headphones that is on-ear, because MDR-1ABT is over-ear, right?

/Fred

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #1,672 of 3,643
Hello there!

Thankful for tips!
/Fred

Hi, welcome to the forum!

It really depends on what sort of sound signature your after and what kind of music your planning to listen to them with?

Do you like a decent amount of bass? Do you prefer a forward/attacking sound or a laid back smoother sound? How important is comfort because on ear will generally not be as comfy as over ear?

In my experience the m2bt have the best sound of any bluetooth headphones I've tested!....However they do have their flaws!

I prefer a fun sound signature with plenty of bass and these have some of the best bass in the business but not at the expense of the rest of the frequencies! They have a lovely rich, warmish signature with a great balance of mids and highs, the highs are slightly rolled off which prevents them from sounding sibilant or overly bright when playing them loud!

Comfort wise they're actually quite comfy for on ear but a wouldn't want to use them for too long as they will start to cause some discomfort after a while, especially with glasses!

My main issue with them is background hiss and a low volume high pitch buzz coming from the right ear piece! I had them replaced because of this issue but the 2nd pair also displayed the same problem! Thankfully when the music is playing especially played loud you shouldn't really notice it! I watch a lot of movies with headphones and it became a real issue during silent or spoken parts and was enough for me to rule the m2bt's out which was a real shame because I really loved the sound!

The bluetooth isn't as stable as some of the others I tried but unless your planning on using them all over the house with some distance between the transmitter and yourself you shouldn't have any problems!

visanj mentioned they didn't sound good via his iphone but did via his Macbook and aptx. I used them with my iPhone 5c and loved the sound just make sure the eq and volume limiter is disabled! I also used them for watching movies via an aptx transmitter which sounded great too other than the issues I mentioned!

If your after a more forward sound and don't care quite as much about strong bass I'd highly recommend the Sony 1abt's. They have a cleaner sound with much less hiss, they're much more comfy and can be worn for extended periods! They have a wonderful soundstage with great forward mids and crystal highs! The bass may not be as powerful as the m2bt's but it's still present and should easily be enough for the majority of people!

If you prefer a more laid back sound with a ton of bass and the cleanest bluetooth available I'd highly recommend my personal bluetooth headphones of choice the Sony xb950bt's! They have the least hiss of any bluetooth headphones I've tried are easily the most comfortable, have a lovely smooth signature and have an insane amount of bass! I personally find the highs are very nice but the mids can sound a little recessed under all that bass! Fortunately you can perform some easy mods to them which will tighten up the bass and improve the mids by quite a bit!

It might be beneficial to read my reviews on several others I tested as well as more info on the xb950 mods which you'll find on page 104!

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #1,673 of 3,643
Hi, welcome to the forum!

It really depends on what sort of sound signature your after and what kind of music your planning to listen to them with?

Do you like a decent amount of bass? Do you prefer a forward/attacking sound or a laid back smoother sound? How important is comfort because on ear will generally not be as comfy as over ear?

In my experience the m2bt have the best sound of any bluetooth headphones I've tested!....However they do have their flaws!

I prefer a fun sound signature with plenty of bass and these have some of the best bass in the business but not at the expense of the rest of the frequencies! They have a lovely rich, warmish signature with a great balance of mids and highs, the highs are slightly rolled off which prevents them from sounding sibilant or overly bright when playing them loud!

Comfort wise they're actually quite comfy for on ear but a wouldn't want to use them for too long as they will start to cause some discomfort after a while, especially with glasses!

My main issue with them is background hiss and a low volume high pitch buzz coming from the right ear piece! I had them replaced because of this issue but the 2nd pair also displayed the same problem! Thankfully when the music is playing especially played loud you shouldn't really notice it! I watch a lot of movies with headphones and it became a real issue during silent or spoken parts and was enough for me to rule the m2bt's out which was a real shame because I really loved the sound!

The bluetooth isn't as stable as some of the others I tried but unless your planning on using them all over the house with some distance between the transmitter and yourself you shouldn't have any problems!

visanj mentioned they didn't sound good via his iphone but did via his Macbook and aptx. I used them with my iPhone 5c and loved the sound just make sure the eq and volume limiter is disabled! I also used them for watching movies via an aptx transmitter which sounded great too other than the issues I mentioned!

If your after a more forward sound and don't care quite as much about strong bass I'd highly recommend the Sony 1abt's. They have a cleaner sound with much less hiss, they're much more comfy and can be worn for extended periods! They have a wonderful soundstage with great forward mids and crystal highs! The bass may not be as powerful as the m2bt's but it's still present and should easily be enough for the majority of people!

If you prefer a more laid back sound with a ton of bass and the cleanest bluetooth available I'd highly recommend my personal bluetooth headphones of choice the Sony xb950bt's! They have the least hiss of any bluetooth headphones I've tried are easily the most comfortable, have a lovely smooth signature and have an insane amount of bass! I personally find the highs are very nice but the mids can sound a little recessed under all that bass! Fortunately you can perform some easy mods to them which will tighten up the bass and improve the mids by quite a bit!

It might be beneficial to read my reviews on several others I tested as well as more info on the xb950 mods which you'll find on page 104!

Hey tech!

Thanks for the reply, a lot of good information.

I guess I'm not on the same level as you are as I never really analysed my headphones in the regards of high, mids, low, bass and all other factors that comes with it. I've always more gone for the "it sounds good to me" approach, which is probably why I am quite a novice about this.

I use my current headphones (Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear) as a daily driver but since they're starting to break down (right ear output is weaker) I'm looking for a replacement in the same price range. I listen to music to some degree, usually via Spotify Premium (I guess that's 320kb/s) on either my iPhone or my Mac, but otherwise it's mostly watching videos, YouTube and podcasts. Comfort is quite a big deal but at the same time I'm not looking for something bulky and that's usually why I've looked at on-ear instead of over-ear headphones (listening on the bus, or easier to carry with me).

Regarding sound signature I think my Sennheiser are a quite good example for me, even though I feel that they're a bit weak at some times. The best headphones I've used earlier are actually the Bose SoundTrue In-Ear which for me had a very rich sound, a bass that I liked and it was quite a warm(?) sound which I really liked. That's why I've also looked at Bose SoundLink On-Ear since I had good experience with Bose since before.

So to put it all in a more clear structure, these are kind of my preferences:

- On-Ear (preferably, although I can compromise)
- Bluetooth
- Used with my iPhone & Macbook Pro (mostly videos and podcasts, but also some music (1-1,5 hours/day))
- I use my headphones for around 4-6 hours/day
- 200-220 euros

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,674 of 3,643
Hey tech!

Thanks for the reply, a lot of good information.

I guess I'm not on the same level as you are as I never really analysed my headphones in the regards of high, mids, low, bass and all other factors that comes with it. I've always more gone for the "it sounds good to me" approach, which is probably why I am quite a novice about this.

I use my current headphones (Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear) as a daily driver but since they're starting to break down (right ear output is weaker) I'm looking for a replacement in the same price range. I listen to music to some degree, usually via Spotify Premium (I guess that's 320kb/s) on either my iPhone or my Mac, but otherwise it's mostly watching videos, YouTube and podcasts. Comfort is quite a big deal but at the same time I'm not looking for something bulky and that's usually why I've looked at on-ear instead of over-ear headphones (listening on the bus, or easier to carry with me).

Regarding sound signature I think my Sennheiser are a quite good example for me, even though I feel that they're a bit weak at some times. The best headphones I've used earlier are actually the Bose SoundTrue In-Ear which for me had a very rich sound, a bass that I liked and it was quite a warm(?) sound which I really liked. That's why I've also looked at Bose SoundLink On-Ear since I had good experience with Bose since before.

So to put it all in a more clear structure, these are kind of my preferences:

- On-Ear (preferably, although I can compromise)
- Bluetooth
- Used with my iPhone & Macbook Pro (mostly videos and podcasts, but also some music (1-1,5 hours/day))
- I use my headphones for around 4-6 hours/day
- 200-220 euros

I'm thinking you should probably stick with the m2bt's. They have a lovely rich full bodied sound with bags of bass....they're "fun" and my personal favourites in terms of sound!

Comfort hopefully won't be an issue for you? The main problem I had was when using them with glasses which started causing some discomfort after a couple of hours use.

I would recommend buying them from Amazon and perhaps some others for comparison, then send the ones you don't like back...that's what I did with the 14 I tried!

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,675 of 3,643
I have been trying to figure something out and having trouble finding a definitive answer online, but i'm sure someone on here can help.

Can someone tell me the difference between the Sony MDR1ABT and the MDR1RBT?

Have any of you tried both and recommend one over the other?

Thanks for your help, with this question and for all the great info found in this thread.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,676 of 3,643
I have been trying to figure something out and having trouble finding a definitive answer online, but i'm sure someone on here can help.

Can someone tell me the difference between the Sony MDR1ABT and the MDR1RBT?

Have any of you tried both and recommend one over the other?

Thanks for your help, with this question and for all the great info found in this thread.

The 1rbt's are much older and weren't too highly rated, they were replaced by the 1rbt MkII's which had improved sound quality and were very highly rated at the time! (If you were able to get hold of them outside of Japan!).

The 1abt's improved again on the 1rbt mkii's and added a much better bass response which the mkii's were lacking. They also support the new LDAC high resolution codec but you'll struggle to find too many sources that currently support it!

They have a fantastic forward sounding signature, a wonderful soundstage, a great balance of mids and crystal highs! They're incredibly comfortable and have some of the cleanest bluetooth sound available! I prefer a little more bass and a bit more of a laid back sound so there are others I'd personally choose before these but for the right person these are amazing!!

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #1,677 of 3,643
I'm thinking you should probably stick with the m2bt's. They have a lovely rich full bodied sound with bags of bass....they're "fun" and my personal favourites in terms of sound!

Comfort hopefully won't be an issue for you? The main problem I had was when using them with glasses which started causing some discomfort after a couple of hours use.

I would recommend buying them from Amazon and perhaps some others for comparison, then send the ones you don't like back...that's what I did with the 14 I tried!

Yeah, I think I'll give the m2bt's a try.
I don't wear glasses and I guess I have relatively small ears as well so I hope that the comfort won't be an issue for me (fingers crossed).

Thanks for tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back