Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Apr 3, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #571 of 3,643
Active is wireless with ANC on. Passive was wired with ANC off. Completely different sound signature in both modes. I didn't listen to passive much other than for comparison as I wasn't looking for a wired pair.

Oh. What about wireless without ANC? I have mostly tested them so. I hate ANC so never use it unless for some reason I notice that it makes the sound better (which is unusual, because mostly it affects sound negatively).
I was very satisfied with the sound of the UE9000 wireless and no ANC.
Now I regret not having tried them longer with ANC, as what is too much bass for you could be just enough for me :D

So, I'm looking for that perfect bowl of porridge (which, admittedly, may not exist) - Bluetooth headphones that sound good (doesn't have to be phenomenal; the X2s are my "critical listening" cans), are *incredibly* comfortable for long-term listening, *and* have good sound for phone calls. I talk on the phone or on Skype for hours every day, so comfort and passable call quality are, in the end, probably more important than music quality, but I don't want them to sound like crap. Noise cancellation is a bonus but not if it ruins the sound. They need to be reliable enough not to cause problems in business calls.  
Current contenders are the Momentum 2.0 On-Ear Wireless, Fidelio M2BT, Bose SoundLink, Jabra Revo, and Plantronics Backbeat Pro.

I have a huge head, so excessive clamping force is a *big* problem for me, as are big, hot leather/vinyl earpads (it's hot here in Texas most of the year). I'm leaning toward on-ears since the X2s have me covered for big over-ear sound. Budget is not an issue.

@Kelleytoons may be of help here. If I remember well he investigated on the Fidelio X2 plus a BT receiver to make them bluetooth enabled, being unable to find a comfortable pair of Bt headphones to fit his huge head and huge sensitive ears (where are you old man, I miss you here).
He also was experimenting with IEM, and found the custom Comply Foam tips to be extremely comfortable. They do not fall out, and do not feel strange, even on his sensitive ears.
He is partecipating in the Crowding Found of the btunes BT receiver. Google for it. If you do not dislike the look, it may be the perfect solution for you to keep the X2 and bluetotthify them.

Of the Bt headphones you have mentioned, forget the M2BT, they do not have a good enough quality call for heavy callers. Ok for occasional calls, not for hours of call each day, with business stuff.
If you want, send me your skype in a PM, I have at home now:
Fidelio M2BT
Plantronics Backbeat Pro
Pendulumic Stance S1+ (these are nice, but no idea for a skype call)
BeoPlay H8
Akg Y45BT
We can chat in Skype and I can tell you if I hear you well and you can see if you ear me well.
For the BeoPlay it must be today, I have to send them back tomorrow.
I should also send the Plantronics back (apparently I have received a faulty pair) but I could wait till next week.

Now, I do not know those two headphones you have. So I cannot tell you which of my list can have a similar sound signature.
Can you describe them in what you like and not like of their sound?
Can you also explain what do you listen to?
And how big, long, larg, protruding and sensitive are your ears?
And which source do you use (Pc, Smartphone, iPhone, Mac? Aptx codec available?).

Cheers
  Finally got my Momentum Wireless in, and at first take the Plantronics Backbeat Pro still give them a good run for their money ... Considering the fact that SQ is not too far apart and the 200 euro price difference, I could very well be happy with sticking with the Backbeat Pro. Earsize however could ultimately become more decisive at this point though. My ears are big, I remember the Parrot Zik 1.0 being too small, and the Backbeat Pro definitely are at the edge of being uncomfortable. The Momentum Wireless however are a perfect fit.

I cannot do much.
But, try the Supertooth Freedom.
They get much less attention than what their sound deserve.
The Pendulumic are also great. warmer than the Plantronics.
But if you like the fresh signature of the Plantronics, the Supertooth are better. They have a touch more mids, which I like. Their bass is maybe a tough less boosted but till powerful, and they have nice highs. The comfort is excellent.

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #572 of 3,643
  Oh. What about wireless without ANC? I have mostly tested them so. I hate ANC so never use it unless for some reason I notice that it makes the sound better (which is unusual, because mostly it affects sound negatively).
I was very satisfied with the sound of the UE9000 wireless and no ANC.
Now I regret not having tried them longer with ANC, as what is too much bass for you could be just enough for me :D

I don't recall trying them wireless without ANC. I was told by my friend who owned the pair that they ANC is always activated on wireless mode and never bothered checking to see if he was wrong. I'm guessing they will sound similar to passive mode wired, just slightly less detailed? Haha yeh maybe the bass on active mode would have been ideal for you though they sounded quiote v shaped on that mode. Not sure if you prefer v shape or forward mids?

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #573 of 3,643

I don't recall trying them wireless without ANC. I was told by my friend who owned the pair that they ANC is always activated on wireless mode and never bothered checking to see if he was wrong. I'm guessing they will sound similar to passive mode wired, just slightly less detailed? Haha yeh maybe the bass on active mode would have been ideal for you though they sounded quiote v shaped on that mode. Not sure if you prefer v shape or forward mids?

You are right, now I remember, only in wired the ANC was activable or not. Or better say, you could use them wired amped or passive. Amped they always have ANC.
And as in Wireless they can only be amped, they always have anc.

I prefer a full range headphone. Which is what I call something which is more or less balanced but not boring and lifeless like I perceive the really neutral headphones like the AKG K240 Monitor (the most useles headphones in the history of humanity for listening to music. It in fact is not made for that, but for monitoring music production).
For full range i mean something which have a natural bass, which does not sound boosted all the time but which just respond softly on soft bass songs and heavily on heavy bass songs. Or at least something with just a very little boost out of the box but with a LOT of EQ potential so that I can boost it till real basshead levels when I want, and have two presets, a normal music one and a bassy music one.
Something you can NOT do with the AKG K845BT as we discussed. That's why I consider the ATH superior, being able to make more things than the AKG.
Said this, I do not like V-shaped, because they take away the presence and warmth I like in the mids/vocals.
I do not like a perfectly flat monitor headphone.
I like headphones with a right (to my ears) balance of fresh high range and warm middle range and rumbling/punchy low range.
I am a zen person, one which like to have "all in one", or "one with all" like a zen master said while buying an hotdog.

I can anyway very well tolerate slight variations toward more freshness or more warmth or more punch as long as the other frequencies are not compromised. For example I have appreciated the warmth of the House of Marley but if I could not EQ them to give them more highs I would never use them.
I am very satisfied with my AKG Y45BT as auxiliary pair of Headphones for the bus and other portability situations. But I need to decrease the low mids a bit and increase some high range or they are to warm and a bit dark/muddy.

Did I answer?

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #575 of 3,643
But, I did like them. A lot.
I am not sure why you mean they were so much v-shaped, if they are quite famous for their rolled off highs, while v-shape is supposed to have highs like the BBP.
But, I did like them, yes.
Almost as much as the Fidelio. They sounded quite similar to me.
That's why I kept the Fidelio. A bit less soundstage, a bit less warmth, but a bit more balance, and a bit more body in the rumble, cheaper, much more portable.
I wanted to keep the UE for home, as they have better range and my problem with the Fidelio were at the moment only the blind spots at home.
But the UE are way too heavy for me, because I do not have a big head so the clamping force was loose on me and the headband was applying too much pressure...
It hurt badly after one hour.

But the ATH are way way better than the UE. In everything.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #576 of 3,643
^ I think you'll fit right in. Everyone on this site has a big head.

Based on the products you own, SQ will be important. Forget the Jabra, imo.

I'd say the Zik 2, M2 Wireless, or Definitive Tech's Symphony. Try each, then go with the one that doesn't hurt to wear. Everyone's head is different so you just have to try them.

I am a real fan of the Parrot Zik 2.0, but one thing it does not do is accommodate large heads.  That is a common complaint, and mine is on its largest extent, even for my small, humility-sized head (and I'm bald, so no extra size for pompadour!).

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #577 of 3,643
  But, I did like them. A lot.
I am not sure why you mean they were so much v-shaped, if they are quite famous for their rolled off highs, while v-shape is supposed to have highs like the BBP.
But, I did like them, yes.
Almost as much as the Fidelio. They sounded quite similar to me.

Yes true they weren't that v shaped as compared to other headphones and the highs did roll off. Still I thought the mids could do with more presence. So you did like them and your biggest issue was weight and clamping? I'm getting a better idea of your preferences now. My biggest issues with them was their ear cup size and clamping. Decent sound and soundstage and it was kind of like having two separate headphones in the one. Wireless sound not really to my tastes but I might have bought a pair as a headset if the ear cups actually fit me.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #578 of 3,643
Wireless sound not really to my tastes but I might have bought a pair as a headset if the ear cups actually fit me.

But, at the end, which BT headphone do you have now? Or do you want to have...

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #579 of 3,643

@Kelleytoons may be of help here. If I remember well he investigated on the Fidelio X2 plus a BT receiver to make them bluetooth enabled, being unable to find a comfortable pair of Bt headphones to fit his huge head and huge sensitive ears (where are you old man, I miss you here).
He also was experimenting with IEM, and found the custom Comply Foam tips to be extremely comfortable. They do not fall out, and do not feel strange, even on his sensitive ears.
He is partecipating in the Crowding Found of the btunes BT receiver. Google for it. If you do not dislike the look, it may be the perfect solution for you to keep the X2 and bluetotthify them.

I'm still around, although not here <g>.

I'm so happy, more or less, with my music solution I haven't felt a pressing need to check anything further out (plus I need to let Amazon calm down about all my returns :>).  I also have not yet received my bTunes receiver yet, so when that comes I may report back here if anyone is interested.

The Fidelio X2 are really excellent cans, superb sounding and extremely comfortable even for my big ears.  Remember they are wired, but the attachment for them is right at the cans and thus allows you to put a BT receiver right in there without any issues or cord (and the bTunes one will look even better than my solution).  And I am using the Powerbeats in-ear, with the Comply tips, for my portable out and about music solution.  You may have to experiment some with the Comply -- I actually found I needed one medium and one large in different ears (not an uncommon solution but one some folks don't even think about -- not each ear is identical on most folks).  I also ended up liking their Isolation tips better than the Comfort ones -- oddly enough, they were more comfortable for me (so, again, don't assume you know.  You should audition them all and they make packs of each type, and of each size, so you can find out).  Just because you try one and don't like it doesn't mean another won't be perfect -- they really are very different from type to type and from size to size (the wrong size actually hurts my ears even though the right size feels so good I don't know they are in there).

Best of luck with all of your searches!

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #582 of 3,643
Ah, ok, when you said "I have not received the btunes yet" I thought you only had a provisory solution now.
Maybe you referred to the provvisory receiver, the horrible looking chinese pink thing.

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #583 of 3,643
I'm still around, although not here .

I'm so happy, more or less, with my music solution I haven't felt a pressing need to check anything further out (plus I need to let Amazon calm down about all my returns :>).  I also have not yet received my bTunes receiver yet, so when that comes I may report back here if anyone is interested.

The Fidelio X2 are really excellent cans, superb sounding and extremely comfortable even for my big ears.  Remember they are wired, but the attachment for them is right at the cans and thus allows you to put a BT receiver right in there without any issues or cord (and the bTunes one will look even better than my solution).  And I am using the Powerbeats in-ear, with the Comply tips, for my portable out and about music solution.  You may have to experiment some with the Comply -- I actually found I needed one medium and one large in different ears (not an uncommon solution but one some folks don't even think about -- not each ear is identical on most folks).  I also ended up liking their Isolation tips better than the Comfort ones -- oddly enough, they were more comfortable for me (so, again, don't assume you know.  You should audition them all and they make packs of each type, and of each size, so you can find out).  Just because you try one and don't like it doesn't mean another won't be perfect -- they really are very different from type to type and from size to size (the wrong size actually hurts my ears even though the right size feels so good I don't know they are in there).

Best of luck with all of your searches!

So this btunes is essentially a BT conversion kit for wired headphones? I'd be interested to hear how this works out.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #584 of 3,643

Yes true they weren't that v shaped as compared to other headphones and the highs did roll off. Still I thought the mids could do with more presence. So you did like them and your biggest issue was weight and clamping? I'm getting a better idea of your preferences now. My biggest issues with them was their ear cup size and clamping. Decent sound and soundstage and it was kind of like having two separate headphones in the one. Wireless sound not really to my tastes but I might have bought a pair as a headset if the ear cups actually fit me.

Yes, now I understand what you mean. I had also forgotten your love for neutral headphones.
But just to understand you better, what did you feel warmer, the UE or the AKG?

And, did you feel like something was missing or was boosted in the AKG?
Apart for the fact that as a basshead I was missing bass (because as you noticed I look for it), I also felt that the highs where too present. Did you have this impression too?

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #585 of 3,643
I've just found something which can enhance nicely the sound of your PC when you Stream Movies (so you do not have EQ):
http://www.fxsound.com/dfx/download.php

For music, hmmm, try it, but I find it a bit too cheap.
Maybe just a touch of it is nice, if you are a fan of tweaking sound and you suffer for not being able to do it on youtube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back