Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Jun 8, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #3,541 of 3,643
In the end, I decided to upgrade to the Q35

Hi, the Soundcore Q35 looks interesting. I'm not sure about the ear pads size, can you please measure the height of the opening where the ear goes? Preferably in mm.
Can you also describe the sound signature out of the box?
Thanks!

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #3,542 of 3,643
Tried the newest momentum wireless 3. V-shaped. Probably images and has the best staging of all wireless ANC phones. Bass is tighter than the Sony XM series. The treble emphasis doesn't seem to be ear damaging quality.

The bads. Too v-shaped. Too much bass, even more so than Sony and it gets bothersome. Boomy side, but acceptable. Bass overpowers other sound. Treble is terrible quality and too much emphasis. grainy treble, and one of the worst I've head. Bose QC is as bad.

Some additional good. I can travel with this. I like how it stops music when you take off and turns off when folded. I would take this over APM because it folds and turns off. lol. And nkt priced $550 with impractical baggages (don't need additional baggages when traveling).

Oh yes, and don't get this for ANC.

can I has some mids? And I always thought Sennheiser wants to give mids until I ran into their iems and momentums.

I suppose Sennheiser didn't think mainstream audiences cares for the mids. Well, I've been in the hobby long enough to start caring.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #3,543 of 3,643
Tried the newest momentum wireless 3. V-shaped. Probably images and has the best staging of all wireless phones. Bass is tighter than the Sony XM series. The treble emphasis doesn't seem to be ear damaging quality.

The bads. Too v-shaped. Too much bass, even more so than Sony and it gets bothersome. Boomy side, but acceptable. Bass overpowers other sound. Treble is terrible quality and too much emphasis. grainy treble, and one of the worst I've head. Bose QC is as bad.

Some additional good. I can travel with this. I like how it stops music when you take off and turns off when folded. I would take this over APM because it folds and turns off. lol. And nkt priced $550 with impractical baggages (don't need additional baggages when traveling).

Oh yes, and don't get this for ANC.

can I has some mids? And I always thought Sennheiser wants to give mids until I ran into their iems and momentums.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. Tested the M3 for a week. Too V-shaped. Don't know about their IEMs, but a clear departure from their headphone house sound, for the worse... They turned to mass-appeal sound with the M3. Too bad! Mids are very recessed and lost, the M2 (wired), sounds much more balanced, if maybe a bit too mid-forward.
The M3 has too much deep bass but too little mid bass and lower mids. I don't like this tuning, I want a bit of warmth in the vocals.
Just give me the HD650 tuning with a bit more bass for on-the-go fun and I'd be happy. Basically my HD6XX with the FiiO Q5s bass boost would be my ideal sound for a portable bluetooth headphone... Where to find it?

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #3,544 of 3,643
Actually I think that’s the Bluetooth headphone that I’m after too!
What is the most balanced sounding Bluetooth headphone?

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #3,545 of 3,643
I'm not an expert with bluetooth headphones by any means. My experience with bluetooth headsets is with Bose Soundsports that I use for working out and phone calls when driving. Having said that I recently bought a set of Hifiman Devas for my better half for her birthday as she prefers bluetooth headsets. She also has a set of 1More Triple Driver wireless that were her go-to set.

I got to listen to the Deva a good bit this past weekend. I have to say I was very impressed with them especially running wireless with the Bluemini. I also ran them wired out of a Sansui Au-719 while paired with either a Topping D50s dac streaming Tidal or a Sonographe SG-3 turntable with Ortofon 2M Black cart spinning vinyl.

The Deva with the Bluemini compared very favorably to running them wired out of the Sansui. Granted the headphone section of the Sansui does tend to sound better running higher impedance dynamic driver phones than lower impedance planars and I didn't run the Devas on my setups that are more optimized for planars. Still though I was surprised how well the Deva sounded running bluetooth vs running wired especially in terms of imaging and soundstage. I could listen to them a good bit of time and still be happy with them when compared to a lot of the wired phones I have.

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #3,546 of 3,643
I actually meant M3 images and has best sound stage of all ANC headphones. I'm sure Deva beats it easily for sound, except bass quantity and dynamics.

If you need ANC headphone forget the M3, just get a Sony XM series and just deal with the sound (EQ it). Because when you are inside the airplane cabin at 80dB of noise, You'd wish you had the best ANC, in which Sony delivers.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #3,547 of 3,643
I actually meant M3 images and has best sound stage of all ANC headphones. I'm sure Deva beats it easily for sound, except bass quantity and dynamics.

If you need ANC headphone forget the M3, just get a Sony XM series and just deal with the sound (EQ it). Because when you are inside the airplane cabin at 80dB of noise, You'd wish you had the best ANC, in which Sony delivers.
Thanks! My post wasn't a direct reply to your post regarding the M3s per se but I just wanted to share my impressions of the Deva. To date I haven't been a fan of bluetooth headsets in terms of sound quality until I heard the Deva. I know they have their limitations though since they are open backs and are not suitable for use in public. She likes to wear phones while working around the house so they are perfect for her (and that would be my primary use for them also if I owned a pair).

I'm glad you mentioned that about ANC phones though as I'm thinking of picking up a pair. I never realized how noisy my neighbors are (they love working and improving on their lawn so they are constantly running power equipment-nothing wrong with that just saying) until I started working from home much more often the last year or so. Sometimes it's hard for me to think when working from home with all of the outside noise. I've been thinking of picking up some ANC phones lately so thank you for the advice.

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #3,548 of 3,643
Thanks! My post wasn't a direct reply to your post regarding the M3s per se but I just wanted to share my impressions of the Deva. To date I haven't been a fan of bluetooth headsets in terms of sound quality until I heard the Deva. I know they have their limitations though since they are open backs and are not suitable for use in public. She likes to wear phones while working around the house so they are perfect for her (and that would be my primary use for them also if I owned a pair).

I'm glad you mentioned that about ANC phones though as I'm thinking of picking up a pair. I never realized how noisy my neighbors are (they love working and improving on their lawn so they are constantly running power equipment-nothing wrong with that just saying) until I started working from home much more often the last year or so. Sometimes it's hard for me to think when working from home with all of the outside noise. I've been thinking of picking up some ANC phones lately so thank you for the advice.
Yeah, you got noisy AC, construction, neighbor, a frequent flyer, tend noisy coffee shops alone, mow lawns, work on loud machinery, or car noise nearby, ANC is the one for you. Get one that had the best ANC like Sony XM series.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #3,549 of 3,643
Apple Ear Pod Max give great ANC and sound, though a bit rolled off in the treble.

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #3,550 of 3,643
Jun 9, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #3,551 of 3,643
Apple Ear Pod Max give great ANC and sound, though a bit rolled off in the treble.
There is hardly any upper-mid presence. There is mid treble that sticks out way too much due to such a response.

I wouldn't call it great. It's sound is in the typical BT wireless class. It's not the heasphone I'd reach for critical listening. It's expensive for what it is and poor decisions on usage.

It's getting way more credit than it really deserves.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #3,552 of 3,643
What about the Huawei FreeBuds Studio?
Don't like the proprietary hi-res codec but otherwise looks interesting, and large earpads! Anyone listened to it?

Edit: How could they name a headphone "FreeBuds"?... 🤔

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #3,553 of 3,643
What about the Huawei FreeBuds Studio?
Don't like the proprietary hi-res codec but otherwise looks interesting, and large earpads! Anyone listened to it?

Edit: How could they name a headphone "FreeBuds"?... 🤔

Briefly tested the Huawei FreeBuds Studio in an electronics store yesterday and compared to the XM4 and Bose 700.

I could not compare with the same songs because I could pair the Studio with my phone, but the XM4 and Bose were on a stand with their own three songs rotating.
If the Studio had just a bit more punch in the bass they would sound ideal to me. Compared to the XM4 the bass is more linear (more at Bose levels), the vocals sound more natural, they don't have that artificial zingy energy that the Sony and Bose has. The high-mids to highs region is clean and sparkly (maybe a bit too sparkly for my liking - but that's just my sensitivity and preference and I'm nitpicking here), with no sibilance or harshness. What I'm describing though is the sound with the ANC off. When the ANC is on, the sound is destroyed. The bass is even less, the vocals tonality and timber changes for the worse and they sound dry.

The comfort is better than the XM4. The cups are deeper, angled at the back and they sit very good around the ear. Less heat build-up too.
The cons are that the L2HC hi-res codec is only available with Huawei phones, if not you're limited to AAC (but it sounded very good with my S10e), and to use the app you'll have to install it from Huawei store or Google Play. From what I see the app has no EQ... The headphones have no aux jack and no sound via usb either so you're limited to Bluetooth.
In conclusion, considering they cost $245 where I buy, and $170 less than the Sonys and IF you won't use their ANC very much, they might be worth your consideration for the subjectively better sound and comfort.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #3,554 of 3,643
SoundMAGIC P23BT
New base model (bt 5.0, aptx-hd, 40mm, 60h, type-c).
To my ears, the tonal balance is moderately V-shaped. In general - a fairly classic setting, without claims to reinvent the bicycle.
The impressions are pleasant.
Comparing them and status bt one, I give a preference to status, simply because here is their presentation of the middle closer to me.
In price segment, if you are loyal to the V-shaped (lite) sound presentation - SoundMAGIC P23BT sound images play very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back