Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Dec 9, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #3,557 of 3,643
Hoping to revive this thread as it seems like there's been a lot of offerings since.

A few weeks ago I tried out a lot of the more commercial models (Sony WH-1000XM3 and 4, Bose QC35II, 45 and 700) and found them to be quite lacking in the SQ department (although in ANC they're pretty much the best). I didn't realise how many more models there were until reading this thread.

Before yesterday, I had given up on the idea of replacing my M40x with some wireless headphones (I was planning to stick a BTR3K on it to make it wireless), but then after trying a load of wired cans yesterday the shop assistant made me try the Shure Aonic 50. They were about as closed so far I've come to the SQ of my M40x or the AKG K361 I listened to, but still not quite there despite 2.5x the price.

Feeling hopeful about wireless, today I went to an AT store and tried out the M50xBT2 and WS990BT. When I bought my M40x I actually had a friend help me A/B test them in store against the M50x. I consistently picked the M40x as my favourite. Knowing this, I was a bit hesitant about trying the M50xBT2, and indeed I didn't think it sounded as good as my M40x, although it sounded leagues ahead of the Sonys and Boses that I had tried before. Next up were the WS990BT. I actually just discovered this thread now so when I tried that pair I didn't know that OP had them ranked at no.1 (Well, OP had the WS99 ranked as no.1 which I think is the same as the WS990BT save for ANC?). My thoughts were that the bass was very impactful and it sounded wide and spacious, but, very hollow. That, and the fact the headset was quite creaky put me off.

I am looking at cheaper options, and will soon be going to try out the Anker Soundcore Life Q35. I'm not expecting anything other than the commercial sound signature (dark, bassy, muddy) but it's cheap, and had very very good battery life and a lot of the features I want like auto pause when you take the headphones off.

On my list to try are:

Sennheiser PXC 550-II
Sennheiser Momentum 2 and 3
JBL Club One
Jabra Elite 85h

If after than I still prefer my M40x, I'll probably just get a BTR3K and stick it on the side of one of the cans. And SQ should improve as I just use the M40x straight from my laptop and phone's jack. Although battery life will be terrible compared to dedicated wireless headhpones.

Anyway, would love to hear everyone else's thoughts, and everyone else's experiences.

Thanks.

Dec 9, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #3,558 of 3,643
I would encourage you to try the Aonic 50s again. Those are really good headphones. They are bass light and so need EQ to shine (what headphones don't?), but they definitely are better the ws99, and will beat everything on the list except maybe the Momentum, and I only say maybe as I have not done an A/B with those. I have compared them to the apple max, V moda (all including the brand new ones), xm3 and 4, lagoon, AKG, Yamaha, PX7, and anything else you can throw at it. Anoic 50 always wins. They do sound better without ANC on. Not a ton better, but a little better.

Dec 9, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #3,559 of 3,643
I will definitely try them again, at the moment they're one of the top contenders. The only issue I have with them was the pads didn't feel very comfortable. I know they can be replaced but I can only see OEM replacement pads. There don't seem to be aftermarket pads like with more popular headphones. Or perhaps there are other models that share the same fitting and I just need to use that term to search?

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #3,560 of 3,643
Not sure. I haven't had an issue with them, but hybrid pads would be nice

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #3,561 of 3,643
I prefer the Avantree Audition Pro.
They have a good amount of bass, and accept Brainwavz earpads.

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #3,562 of 3,643
I prefer the Avantree Audition Pro.
They have a good amount of bass, and accept Brainwavz earpads.

Thanks, not come across them. What do you prefer them over, the Aonic 50's? To be honest, I don't like too much bass. That's why I chose the M40x over the M50x when I AB'd them.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #3,563 of 3,643
I don't have the Aonic 50.
The Avantree Audition Pro are my only Bluetooth headphones.
They sound almost as good as my Marantz MPH-2 or JVC HA-S680, but with less bass.

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #3,564 of 3,643
If you didn't equalize the muddy bass down with the XM3 you did not get to hear what that headphone is capable of. It is quite a big difference believe me. How Sony could begin to imagine that the stock tuning of the XM3 was anything but a mess is beyond me; however, once corrected properly using a decent EQ such as the FIR one built into Onkyo HF Player it is a much better sounding headphone, much better. Saying that, I still have, and enjoy the XM3, but I prefer the KEF Space One Wireless. Not the ANC, compared to the XM3's ANC it isn't even close, but as I defeat ANC anyway (even on public transit I have no need of it as I tend to listen loud enough) I prefer the KEF and with it I actually plumb up the low/sub bass a little. Quite comfortable as well, but not as comfortable as the Sony if I remember correctly. It has been a while since I have used either one.

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #3,565 of 3,643
If you didn't equalize the muddy bass down with the XM3 you did not get to hear what that headphone is capable of. It is quite a big difference believe me. How Sony could begin to imagine that the stock tuning of the XM3 was anything but a mess is beyond me; however, once corrected properly using a decent EQ such as the FIR one built into Onkyo HF Player it is a much better sounding headphone, much better. Saying that, I still have, and enjoy the XM3, but I prefer the KEF Space One Wireless. Not the ANC, compared to the XM3's ANC it isn't even close, but as I defeat ANC anyway (even on public transit I have no need of it as I tend to listen loud enough) I prefer the KEF and with it I actually plumb up the low/sub bass a little. Quite comfortable as well, but not as comfortable as the Sony if I remember correctly. It has been a while since I have used either one.

Yes I've now read a few comments saying the XM3/4 are actually pretty good when EQ'd in the app. I admit when I tried them I never bothered downloading the app. I will have to try them again then.

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #3,566 of 3,643
On a separate note, did Bose ever resolve the complaints that they nuked the ANC on the QC35ii in an update a couple of years ago?

Dec 10, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #3,567 of 3,643
A few days ago I returned the XM4, because I was on the second pair and they both started to creak after two weeks or so, not only when extending the headband but also when wearing them, walking or turning the head. Very annoying for a headphone that is dubbed "The King of ANC" when they actually induce noise in the cups because of the poor engineering and build quality, and they do this for years, and never bother to change their build, despite users criticism. Reddit is full of such reports and DiY "fixes" that are unacceptable at that level of price. I hated to return them because the sound was pretty good with some EQ, but I just could not live with the creaking.

Anyways, I got the Bowers & Wilkins PX7 and there is no contest, different league, superb build quality with that carbon fiber arms, no creaks.
The sound is somewhat sculpted - maybe not to your liking if you like neutral - with deep bass / mid-bass presence / warm lower mids / a bit recessed high-mids / mild spike at 10K / but I like this warm signature, and they are much more organic and natural sounding, with great headstage / separation / imaging. Completely different level, Sony sounds artificial and heavily DSP-ed in comparison.

Dec 10, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #3,568 of 3,643
Yes I've now read a few comments saying the XM3/4 are actually pretty good when EQ'd in the app. I admit when I tried them I never bothered downloading the app. I will have to try them again then.
I never used the Sony app for equalizing. I used the eq built into Onkyo HF Player. I imagine that the Sony app would have had a basic, functional equalizer, but the FIR equalizer in HF Player is quite good. It wouldn't provide universal equalization, but I don't care as I only use my headphones for music playback so having the equalization limited to the music player was not an issue for me.

Dec 10, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #3,569 of 3,643
Are the PX7 as tight as the PX were? I bought the PX twice and returned them twice as the clamp was quite painful, too painful to bare actually and I have read about many other people also finding the PX clamp terrible. If the PX7 are tight like that sadly that would be a major problem. My XM3 never creaks, fortunately and in terms of comfort, pretty hard to beat the Sony.

Dec 10, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #3,570 of 3,643
I'm telling you guys, it's aonic 50 all day. It kills Sony and px7 and panda drop etc. I bought virtually everything to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back