Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Oct 18, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #2,716 of 3,643
No problem, I read your previous post!

Onkyo's have to be imported from Japan to USA I guess and no amazon prime support, I won't risk it with no warranty support. Besides, it is also on-ear. I prefer around-ear!

I'm not really a fan of On Ear myself, but the Onkyo's sound that good that it almost hasn't bothered me, and they're actually pretty comfy for On Ear anyway. However I'm listening intently to Sonic Defenders impressions of the P7's as I know he's a massive fan of the Onkyo's like myself, and if the P7's sound anything like the Onkyo's with the advantage of being Over Ear they could end up being my next purchase! Like I said I've tried the P5's which I enjoyed but the Onkyo's sounded better in every respect, but from what I've read the P7's are a huge upgrade to the P5's addressing many of their shortcomings so I'm excited to hear whether they really deliver!

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #2,719 of 3,643
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MCRVPO6/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1476799971&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=plantronics+backbeat+pro+2&dpPl=1&dpID=5155QQbsUTL&ref=plSrch
Anyone heard abt these?

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #2,720 of 3,643
I'm not really a fan of On Ear myself, but the Onkyo's sound that good that it almost hasn't bothered me, and they're actually pretty comfy for On Ear anyway. However I'm listening intently to Sonic Defenders impressions of the P7's as I know he's a massive fan of the Onkyo's like myself, and if the P7's sound anything like the Onkyo's with the advantage of being Over Ear they could end up being my next purchase! Like I said I've tried the P5's which I enjoyed but the Onkyo's sounded better in every respect, but from what I've read the P7's are a huge upgrade to the P5's addressing many of their shortcomings so I'm excited to hear whether they really deliver!

Yes the P5 sounds bloated compared to the P7. So when I went into the store yesterday they had a P5 wireless demo, not a P7. They had only one left and it was sealed. They didn't want to open the P7 as I told them there isn't a guarantee I would buy it. One of the sales guys goes on to tell how really similar the P5 is and that would give me a pretty realistic impression of the P7. Skeptical I agreed to try the P5.

Right away the P5 just sounded congested to me with the mid bass hump feeling pretty loose and just too prominent. I told him well, lets move on to the P9, which I loved, but it could never be a portable for me as it was really big, and of course wired. So when they realized I was prepared to leave the store they decided at that point to open the P7. Right away it was quite evident to me that the P7 was quite a bit better. It still has a mid bass hump, but it felt far better integrated into the sound and certainly much better controlled. While you can hear some cabinet reflections in the P7, it is pretty minor where I think that in the P5 it was more pronounced.

The P7 is a very solid signature, really enjoying it. It is too early to tell if it will become my go to portable, but I would be lying if I didn't say the potential is there. Regardless, the H500BT is right up there which if you ask me for the price difference and being on ear is impressive. I'm going to try to get some time today to compare the two, but my daughter is very demanding of my time so I'll have to get on it now. More to come.

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2,721 of 3,643
@Techfixation, so I did some direct comparison and I would say that the overall voicing/signature of the headphones is pretty similar. I think the P7 will take the contest if you will based on a few things. So first off, the extra bass energy with the P7 is a factor. For some it will be too much, but I think many who take a short time to let the signature percolate will actually find the bass not distracting as it is of good quality and in general well controlled.

I think the P7 is a H500BT like voicing with an extra richness provided by the bass, it tends to give things more weight and impact. The other factor is that the P7 can get louder and remain poised sounding. That is likely not a big factor for most, but I am addicted to higher playback levels and have been for many years. The only reason my hearing is still good is that I typically listen for multiple shorter sessions and sometimes a few days can go by without me actually having time for music, although as of late that hasn't been the case.

The H500BT is still without a doubt the better value when looking at the price to performance ratio, no doubt there; however, for those willing to spend the money on the P7 I do think the gains are valid if you appreciate solid bass signatures. I still feel the P7 presents a good sound stage and is capable of nice separation and cohesion.

Another possible consideration is the feel. The ONKYO as you know while not in the slightest a cheap feel, it is understated in all ways. The P7 in contrast is a little bling like and feels very substantial so for some, that will be a consideration. The H500BT is the more true portable, as it is smaller and lighter, and I actually think more comfortable of the two.

So if you like a thicker more impactful sound, the P7 will be that, the ONKYO is no slouch, but it will never best the P7 in that respect. I can see people who find the P7 too bass heavy preferring the H500BT, but for me as I like bass centric designs, certainly in a portable, that extra weight and impact to the P7 is very engaging.

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #2,722 of 3,643
....Well I have the P7 wireless arriving tomorrow! H500BT signature with added richness and more bass....I couldn't resist! Plus B&W offer a free returns within 60 days!

I'll let you know my impressions when I've had chance to test them out side by side myself.

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #2,723 of 3,643
I wonder why nobody among the enthusiasts here is aware of the new Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 an Pro 2 SE

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/18/plantronics-backbeat-pro-2/

http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/backbeat-pro-2

http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/backbeat-pro-2-se

The difference between them according to engadget is NFC and a hardcase of the SE

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #2,724 of 3,643

Well I've had a few days of testing the Onkyo H500's and B&W P7's back to back and they're surprisingly similar sound wise making the Onkyo's even more impressive seeing as they're half the price!

As Sonic Defender says the P7's have marginally more mid bass and as such sound a tad richer but there's really not much in it at all. The P7's go louder so when the Onkyo's are maxed out on my iPhone the P7's can get louder still which gives them a more powerful sound, but when at equal volume I can't hear a huge amount of difference between them. The most noticeable difference I have found is staging, the P7's sound more open and engaging probably due to their over ear design. The Onkyo's still have great staging themselves especially for On Ear but this is where the P7's come out on top imo!

Comfort wise they are both comfortable but in different ways, the Onkyo's are lighter and are more cushiony but I love the Over Ear design of the P7's and although the cushioning is harder I prefer the sense of freedom your ears have with no pressure being exerted directly on them. The P7's also have better isolation and leak much less noise than the Onkyo's.

I'm really not too sure which I'm going to keep? They're both my favourite sounding bluetooth headphones to date but based on the better build, better staging and the preferred Over Ear design of the P7's I think I may be putting the Onkyo's up for sale!

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #2,725 of 3,643
Well I've had a few days of testing the Onkyo H500's and B&W P7's back to back and they're surprisingly similar sound wise making the Onkyo's even more impressive seeing as they're half the price!

As @Sonic Defender says the P7's have marginally more mid bass and as such sound a tad richer but there's really not much in it at all. The P7's go louder so when the Onkyo's are maxed out on my iPhone the P7's can get louder still which gives them a more powerful sound, but when at equal volume I can't hear a huge amount of difference between them. The most noticeable difference I have found is staging, the P7's sound more open and engaging probably due to their over ear design. The Onkyo's still have great staging themselves especially for On Ear but this is where the P7's come out on top imo!

Comfort wise they are both comfortable but in different ways, the Onkyo's are lighter and are more cushiony but I love the Over Ear design of the P7's and although the cushioning is harder I prefer the sense of freedom your ears have with no pressure being exerted directly on them. The P7's also have better isolation and leak much less noise than the Onkyo's.

I'm really not too sure which I'm going to keep? They're both my favourite sounding bluetooth headphones to date but based on the better build, better staging and the preferred Over Ear design of the P7's I think I may be putting the Onkyo's up for sale!

Yes, I would agree with pretty much everything you are saying. I also feel the H500BT is a fantastic value at so much less, and for somebody who favours the truest of portables, the size and weight of the H500BT gives it the edge. Overall, the sound quality is quite similar, but as you say the P7 is more expansive sounding with I think a little more depth of stage which combined with the slight extra bass is likely why it makes things sound more impactful and weighty. These differences are far from night and day so for those looking to keep cost down, but still have a great BT portable, the H500BT is no slouch at all.

Glad you also enjoy the P7, seems our tastes in sound signatures are pretty much the same. Cheers.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #2,726 of 3,643
  I wonder why nobody among the enthusiasts here is aware of the new Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 an Pro 2 SE

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/18/plantronics-backbeat-pro-2/

http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/backbeat-pro-2

http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/backbeat-pro-2-se

The difference between them according to engadget is NFC and a hardcase of the SE

I was close to buying the BBP before I settled on the M2W (and again when I considered the M2Ws faulty). Giogio seemed to like them and they received overall positive reviews, despite the weight. But a $100 price difference for NFC and a hard case?

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #2,727 of 3,643
Yes, I would agree with pretty much everything you are saying. I also feel the H500BT is a fantastic value at so much less, and for somebody who favours the truest of portables, the size and weight of the H500BT gives it the edge. Overall, the sound quality is quite similar, but as you say the P7 is more expansive sounding with I think a little more depth of stage which combined with the slight extra bass is likely why it makes things sound more impactful and weighty. These differences are far from night and day so for those looking to keep cost down, but still have a great BT portable, the H500BT is no slouch at all.

Glad you also enjoy the P7, seems our tastes in sound signatures are pretty much the same. Cheers.

Seems we do, thanks for putting me onto them both!

I also love the fact that B&W started life in the 60's just 30min down the road in Worthing England...and are still based there today!

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #2,728 of 3,643
Sonic Defender

How is the comfort of the p7 wireless after using it for a few days? Are your ears clear from leaning on the padding?

I'm probably close to excluding the following 2:
-Sony MDR-1000X (not as comfortable as other 3, only 1yr warranty while all 3 others have 2yr warranties for same $400 cost, and does not sound as good as the other 3 headphones on my short list - ANC unimportant to me)
-Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless (sounds awesome but comfort issues as it leans on my ears)

That leaves Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless and B&O BeoPlay H7. I could buy both and return 1, but extra hassle I want to try to avoid. :p

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #2,729 of 3,643
He could not have liked these back then since these are brand new! These are the successors of the first BBP., now BBP 2.

I mean, clicking on those links would have made it obvious ...

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #2,730 of 3,643
@Sonic Defender

How is the comfort of the p7 wireless after using it for a few days? Are your ears clear from leaning on the padding?

I'm probably close to excluding the following 2:
-Sony MDR-1000X (not as comfortable as other 3, only 1yr warranty while all 3 others have 2yr warranties for same $400 cost, and does not sound as good as the other 3 headphones on my short list - ANC unimportant to me)
-Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless (sounds awesome but comfort issues as it leans on my ears)

That leaves Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless and B&O BeoPlay H7. I could buy both and return 1, but extra hassle I want to try to avoid.
tongue.gif

The pads have just enough room for my ears, but not much to spare, but the comfort is actually pretty darn good. I actually have worn them for longer than I typically do and while you do get a little warm with them on, it seems a reasonable price to pay for the quality of the P7. I wish I still had my H7 to directly compare, for sure the h7 is a little more comfortable, and going by memory I think the bass was slightly cleaner, but not as impactful. It really depends on what you are looking for, the P7 is the more exciting signature and I think it has a slight edge in instrument separation which may explain how it can feel more exciting. The power difference is certainly significant, and that was my only complaint with the H7, with older material I always wanted more volume, and even sometimes with newer material I could have used just a little more gas. That said the H7 is simply a fantastic headphone and if comfort is a big concern you can't possibly go wrong with it.

I also think that the removable battery in the H7 is an under-appreciated feature. Even if you don't keep it long enough for the battery to be an issue, if you sell it, the prospective buyer knows they can simply get a new battery which is fantastic. I still really think the extra hassle is worth it mate, try both, I know it is easy for me to say, but these are different enough and good enough headphones that simply guessing without hearing will always leave you wondering. I'm also being selfish as I would love to hear from somebody who can compare them side by side like that, certainly would be a head-fi first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back