Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
May 3, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #2,356 of 3,643
Sonic, why do you see conflicts which do not exist?
I have told you, I am not in conflict with you.
But whatever I say you take it like if I am attacking your loved HP, your loved EDM, your way of enjoying music, etc...

You are free to consider EDM "any electronic music with a danceable beat" even if that is NOT what EDM is. But don't blame other people when this creates misunderstandings.
Anyway I do not even have any problem with you calling EDM music which is not EDM. Who cares? You seem to believe that there is a sort of fight for who is right about what EDM is.
I just say that if you decide to call EDM some soft electronica which you find highly enjoyable on the H7, you should explain this better to people who like HARD hitting bass, before suggesting them the H7.
Also because as you even clearly stated, EDM is music made specifically TO DANCE.
It is RAVE music, google it.
You do not stay on a sofa in a Rave unless you took the wrong mushroom.
Now, it's wonderful if you have the ability to enjoy (hard??? My two links too? Harder than that too?) EDM on a sofa. You took it like if I am saying you are not normal.
I am only saying that when suggesting things you should not consider minorities like majorities.
It is definitely NOT typical that people like to listen to hard EDM on smooth HPs on a sofa.

You know what is more ironical? That you talk to me of subjectivising one's opinion when expressing it to others, but you do not do it.
You belong to a (wonderful but still) minority group of people who at same time 1) call EDM even softer electronic music and 2) enjoy (any?) EDM on a sofa. But you want to be treated as a majority.

It's like saying that Italian people have no right to say that Pasta should be al dente, because English people like it when it's so overcooked that it stick to a wall when you throw it.

You wrote me a PM few days ago, worried about why I became more diplomatic with my opinions.
Now, as soon as I disagree with you, suddenly you wish me to be more diplomatic with my opinion?

May 3, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2,357 of 3,643
blink.gif
Wow.

May 3, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #2,358 of 3,643
  Audio-Technica SOLID BASS Bluetooth wireless stereo headphone ATH-WS99BT (The bass was so extreme that I could hear nothing else. I remember distinctly listening to Fiona Apple's latest record, with the ATH and the BBP both in hand, going back and forth between the two. The bass on the ATH was so overwhelming and unnatural that I literally couldn't even tell which instruments were producing the low notes. It was all just thumping, without the slightest bit of definition. I would go back to the BBP and say, oh, that was the kick drum. Or the acoustic bass. Back to the ATH, it was just a vibration.)

You either had a VERY defect WS99BT or you were EQing them, and very wrongly.
The WS99BT are a lot more balanced and neutral in the bass than the BBP. No possible doubt and not a matter of tastes, just pure and simple objectivity which could be measured with a Dummy Head.
So I need to know exactly how did you A/B BBP and WS99BT.
Out of the box or EQ? Which EQ, Which player, which settings, which music, which volume?
Did you use stock or HM5 pads on the WS?

I agree with all what you say about the other headphones.
But the iSport. They sound quite interesting to me. Not for what they cost. But they cost that for other reasons. Because they are Monster is one. And because they are completely washable.
Anyway I do not really like them, definitely not on the level of the BBP.
I did not find them so uncomfortable. But yes, I would not classify them as comfortable.

Having prejudices/concerns about the SQ of some HP just because they are On Ear???
You even said the Soundlink were good.
On Ear do NOT sound worse than Over Ear.
Some On Ear even have much better soundstage than some Over Ear.
It depends on tastes but from what you say I believe the XTZ are for you, IF you will use them with the App of even better with the PC software.
Which source will you use? Music on your device or stream?

I use Behind the valley of the three white horses as one of the 6 tracks I use to test soundstage/separation/detail/transparency.
John Zorn, I only know a CD about Coleman, impossible to listen to for me.

Please define resonant and thumping.
For me for example resonant is negative.
I call resonant a not controlled bass which invades the neighbour frequencies and/or which breaks thhe illusion of the soundstage by filling an unnatural portion of space, making you feel that the bass is being played by headphones, not by a real instrument.
Thumping is not clear to me.

The XTZ sound exctly how you describe what you want. WITH the App.
The Marshall are warmer, less highs, still good ones.
I loved the Marshall on Dire Straits Money for Nothing. Just amazing.

I find the XTZ a more universal headphone. The Marshall is more for Rock.

The Marshall are a bit more comfortable on the long term but the XTZ are ok, anyway it is also a subjective thing, Impossible to say.
But you have 60 days money back on the XTZ.

The other ones sound so deeply different from each other that I wonder how did you assemble he list.

May 3, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #2,360 of 3,643

1 which other?
2 the question is not formulated fairly. Kind of lawyer questions which either you lie or you lose. But as I said, I very definitely do not feel them heavy on my head not even a tiny little bit.  would have indeed never ever possible thought of them as heavy if you would have not said they are heavy for you. Are there lighter cans? Yes. Does that mean that the Zik are "heavy"? No. It only means those other cans are lighter. But, well, no problem for me if they are heavy for you. But it's not objective. They may be heavier than all your cans, but this does NOT mean they are objectively heavy and anybody would feel them as heavy and uncomfortable.
3 that is not really true. They do not require an app to sound well. They require an app to be set so to sound well. Once you set them, the settings are stored on the Headphone and they will sound that way WHEREVER you use them, even on a PC or a device without the App. And, yes, not everybody has got Android or iOS. But I wonder how many people who use BT Headphones do not have an Android or iOS device, and how exactly do they use a BT headphone then, with which source...
4 this was apparently corrected with Zik 3. But as we talk of pads, the Crossfade need the XL pads to sound better and to be more comfortable on long term. Although the cans are darn expensive, the XL pads are not included, you must buy them. And mounting them is a pain in the A.
5 well, all is relative to tastes, backgrounds, previous headphones, and a lot relative to the music. In my tests now I use 66 tracks of different kind of music. And it is simply astonishing how each headphone can sound well with something and bad with something else. For example, you can listen to classical or jazz with the Crossfade, but it is like eating spaghetti with a spoon. Good luck and have fun. I personally find the Zik 3 to be more balanced than the Crossfade and to sound good with more music than the Crossfade.
6 didn't know, I own no iOS. Interesting. Are you sure? the REAL value? This sounds not credible to me, it implies that there is a reliable communication between HP and phone, and that the HP says to the phone how much it is left. I find it hard to believe that all BT headphones have this ability.
7 which? I cannot think of anything but 2: AAC+ and multipoint. AAC+ which is impossible to test how really useful it is, unless you test the same headphone with same song on an iPhone 5 (AAC) and an iPhone 6 (AAC+). For example the LDAC of Sony does not give any advantage with normal (=non Hi-Res) music. I doubt the AAC+ would make any difference with normal music either. And the propaganda made by the V-Moda CEO on the CFW was a real disinformation campaign mostly trying to throw unfair and untrue mud on the Aptx. He said lot of things which are totally false.
Multipoint is relative to personal needs. I do not need it, and actually hate it during my tests because creates a lot of complication in my setup of 8 BT adapters. But yes, it is potentially useful for some people.
The Parrot have HD Voice Calls, which also needs a spacial phone and/or provider (I am not into that, so, no idea). They have ANC which many people need. So, it is probably a matter of what one wants.
8 the H7 do not support Multipoint. The H8 do.
9 not to me. I do not like their sound so they do not sound acceptable to me wired or wireless. If not with some precise music. But, it's very much a matter of tastes. Maybe the AD means that they sound consistent in the two different modes. Yes, the Zik are famous to sound horrible in Wired.
10 depending on the musical tastes. I would never suggest them for classical, folk, ethic/world, jazz.
11 again subjective. Not an hassle for me. ALl what you do not like in them is not bothering me (ie battery life or carrying an extra battery, which as said goes perfectly on the pouch) or I do not share that feeling (like them being heavy).

Anyway to be clear: they are far from being my favourite headphone and I do not own them. I have only tested them, 4 times. 3 Zik 2 and one Zik 3, and I have ABed 2 and 3. But I do not love them.

Anyway any of them would be imo a much better pick for hard EDM than the H7, I agree on that with you.

First, let me just say that I'm not trying to stop anyone from owning the Parrots. Just making them aware of what to expect. I kept my pairs, although I may end up selling the Zik 1. I'm looking at the Zik 3 too, because of the improvements.

Sorry but we'll have to agree to disagree on weight. The Zik 1 are extremely heavy, and the Zik 2 are lighter but still quite a substantial weight. This is good for durability, but I can indeed feel the weight when wearing them. And oh yes, they DO need that app. You cannot just charge them, turn them on and go. You need to fiddle with the app first, depending on what you're listening to. No other headphone has this feature. It's actually an interesting feature because they can indeed be adjusted for various types of music or vocals. But when I have other BT pairs that "just work", and I need to leave, no time to fiddle with settings. Windows Mobile still has users, however few. And some guy had to develop an independent app for that platform for the Zik 2 and 3. And some other guy had to make an app for Mac because Parrot refused to do so, saying "mobile use mainly". Kind of shortsighted IMO.

I use my BT sets with my laptops besides mobile, and multipoint would be great. I don't like having to disconnect from one device to use another. And am I sure about iOS displaying the BT battery level in iOS? Well yes, because I OWN AND USE several iOS devices and after I think iOS9.1 or something like that, this capability was added. It applies to any BT device connected, not just headphones. Except the Parrots because of the proprietary app.

I concede that HD voice calls and ANC are very good features. Especially the ANC. But I'm still not impressed with the battery life. After using the H7 for 2 whole days with no charge and no need for another battery, maybe I will be trying the H8 too if the Beoplay battery life is that good.

Concerning V-Moda. I wouldn't use them for classical or folk either. I'm just saying that if someone wants bass, these are a good option. They do sound acceptable to me. I test using my own music and videos that I listen to, so yes, it's subjective. If a headphone doesn't sound good with what I listen to, they go back. If the wireless version is based on the M-100 like the ad says, M-100 is a top rated headphone. Seriously, I think Beoplays are better. But V-Modas still sound great, a way better alternative than Beats if you're looking for that type of signature.

I don't know what the CEO said against APT-X and I don't know his motives. Just like Apple, whom I love, take what CEOs say with a grain of salt anyway. I remember when Apple wouldn't include many features people wanted and downplayed them until they themselves decided to include them. Then they were the greatest features since sliced bread. Seen that game before. I just know V-Modas are a viable alternative. Maybe not my first choice either, but I think they need to be considered.

May 3, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #2,361 of 3,643
  The headphones I've been looking at, my short list if you will, are:

XTZ Divine (worried about on-ear comfort, isolation, and SQ)
V-Moda Crossfade Wireless (I have concerns about the lack of apt-x, but boy, these sure do look like quality cans)
Marshall Major II (same concerns as XTZ)
Sony MDR1ABT (used, due to budget constraints)
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless (used, due to budget constraints)
Ausdom M05 Over Ear Wireless (I don't expect these to compare to the others, but for approximately $70 they might be worth a listen, based on some really good reviews I've read)
Pendulumic Stance S1+
Definitive Technology Symphony 1 Over-Ear (used, due to budget constraints)
Pendulumic Tach T1 (same concerns as XTZ)

Since you're using an Android device, DO NOT GET THE CFW. Your concern over the lack of aptX is valid. With my old iPhone, they sounded great over Bluetooth. When I got my Galaxy S7, yuck. Music wasn't clear anymore, everything got muddy.

I've posted about the Momentums here and in the dedicated Momentum 2 thread. I love the sound when I listen indoors, but am having BT reception issues outdoors. This seems like an issue only some people are having. I'm sending them to Sennheiser and we'll see what happens.

I did notice the AKG Y50BTs were on sale at Harman's website for $119. Tempting to get those just in case the Momentums end up not working out. But I do prefer an over-ear fit, I ride the train and sit next to people at work. I don't want to worry about annoying people with my music.

May 4, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #2,362 of 3,643
Hey All! Just reporting in here: got a pair of H7's and love them! I was holding out for the restock of the H6 2nd gen, but decided to pull the trigger when I received a 10% off coupon for the beoplay.com site. I did have to flash them to the latest firmware before being able to use them with the iOS B&O app. Battery life, fit and finish seem to be fantastic and I'll be primarily using them as travel headphones. Bought an extra battery and travel case from Amazon.

Oh, and I had been watching the Amazon US listing and last week for a few days, the Cenere Grey (if you can stand it) was on sale for like $360-370ish, just FYI. So it seems the price fluctuates.

May 4, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #2,363 of 3,643
DivaFonda yes I understand.
Zik 1 are anyway prehistory.
I personally think it's 3 or nothing.

As DDDYKI says, maybe the cfw needs aac.
Unfortunately I've got no aac device.

Dddyki, the y50 are quite far from the quality of the momentum.

goody not necessarily.
I like both a lot. They are just very very different.
It depends on your tastes.

May 4, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #2,364 of 3,643
Hey All! Just reporting in here: got a pair of H7's and love them! I was holding out for the restock of the H6 2nd gen, but decided to pull the trigger when I received a 10% off coupon for the beoplay.com site. I did have to flash them to the latest firmware before being able to use them with the iOS B&O app. Battery life, fit and finish seem to be fantastic and I'll be primarily using them as travel headphones. Bought an extra battery and travel case from Amazon.

Oh, wonderful, so we have other points of view.
Which music do you find to shine the most with them?
I mean, not just "enjoyable", but perfect for that music.
As I've unsuccessfully tried to communicate, I find them a bit too smooth and moderated (not a biting, direct, attacking, engaging sound, and not particularly loud) for some particularly hard hitting music.

But I didn't find any HP which is perfect with all music.

Do you find carrying the extra battery a problem?

May 4, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #2,365 of 3,643
  For sound quality and balance I consider the Zik (specially the 3) superior to the Crossfade Wireless. At least when ANC and Hall are used. Without ANC they sound a bit dull (which anyway can be compensated with their internal EQ), without Hall they sound a bit harsh (specially the 2).

I might be sped reding too fast and missed it, but what is "Hall"?

May 4, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #2,366 of 3,643
I might be sped reding too fast and missed it, but what is "Hall"?
good question. I tried to find the right name but I couldn't think at anything better than hall.
It's the spatial effect, small room, hall, concert hall, huge hall or whatever.
Without that the Zik sound to me to harsh. Specially the 2.

May 4, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #2,368 of 3,643
They indeed call it "Concert Hall" on the Zik 2.0 app.

May 4, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #2,369 of 3,643
The H7 seems to be a great BT headphone. The only other BT headphone device I have are my gym Powerbeats2 Wireless, so they obviously win in sound quality over those, but fail in water and sweat resistance :). I purchased these on a recommendation from the Massdrop Fostex thread as I was looking for something that sounded remotely similar and were more portable. I sold my Massdrop Fostex cans, not because I didn't like the sound, but because I simply wasn't using them as originally intended - and purchasing them was probably a judgment error on my side as they're not really that portable. What I found I really wanted was a "toss-around," cheaper, and more portable (folding) alternative to my Ultrasone ED-8's. As I mentioned earlier, I was almost going to buy the 2nd Gen H6, but they've been out of stock, so when I got the coupon for the store, I bought the H7 over the 2nd Gen H8 (see note below on 2nd Gen H8) because of the over the ear design.

Overall, I like the sound - it's crisp and detailed. I'm going to avoid describing or rating the sound since that kind of thing can get very subjective and lead to flame wars. If you're having a hard time choosing one model over another, I would suggest buying all models under serious consideration from Amazon or a retailer with good return/demo policy and return the ones you don't like. I can't really compare to other BT headphones mentioned in this thread, but I chose the B&O because of the look (I got black), app compatibility and design consistency with other B&O products I own, as well (the Form 2's I've had for years, the green A2 portable speaker - LOVE it!, and the grey A6 BT/AirPlay/WiFi speaker I have in my kitchen). I usually place sound quality above looks, but since I'll be using these outside the house, looks were important to me. I really only intend on using them for work and leisure travel (airplane, in hotel room, vacation, etc.). I've taken some work calls on them at home and the mic performance seems to be OK in a quiet environment.

Side note: I've seen a lot of talk on this thread about the H8 having bad Bluetooth performance. It seems they have released a 2nd Gen H8 with revised BT, per the BeoPlay Twitter account. Reference: https://twitter.com/beoplay/status/722678247666880513

May 4, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2,370 of 3,643
2nd gen. H8? Thanks for the info! I'll be looking at those too. I don't mind on-ear as long as I can wear them for at least 3-4 hours without comfort issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back