Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
May 2, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2,341 of 3,643
@Giogio, as a slightly related query, do you make sure to do your listening at close to the same time of the day for the various headphones?
no, but it happens naturally due to my daily life and work hours. For instance on the weekend anyway I test full time.
Why?

Not to mention the H7 works well across all genres as it has that slight warmth to it. For sure it won't be for everybody
your critiques of the H7 are correct for those who share the same preferences as you.
I do not consider them good enough for edm techno dubstep etc, but yes, they seem to me very good overall, pleasantly slightly warm, overall well balanced, and good for most music, yes.
And no headphone is for everybody. That's why I'll never more do ratings, they give the impression that the n1 is objectively the best for everybody. That's delusional.
No headphone, not a single one, is for everybody. At least that's what I believe.
So, I was not necessarily critiquing the h7. I was just stating they're not what he needs if he listen lot of edm and metal and hip hop.

Question. Can u turn the noise cancelling off {sony 100abn in particular)

Ps...just got the puro bt5200 10 min ago, initial impressions very positive?i will probably still get 100abn in next week or so as i much prefer the over ear to on ear

I'm more curious now. I've requested a unit.
They look like an OEM of many other headphones, like the Pioneer MJ561.
But I suppose the internal is different.
Like Samson RTE2 which look identical and sound similar (but not the same as) the xtz.

Your question must be headphone specific. Each is different.
On the 100abn you can turn anc on and off. On all Sony you can.

The 100 are amazing.
Not for everything, they sound a bit intellectual, you know, somehow less emotional, like people were saying of CD vs vinyl. Or like a digital amp vs an analogue tube amp.
But the transparency and detail are maybe the best on the market now.
Only the WS99BT and the XTZ and the AKG can get close to this level of transparency.
For the AKG I mean the k845bt.
I feel they may be slightly less transparent than the 100, but nicely warmer (not really warm, just warmer than the 100, which are not cold because bright but because intellectual.

I'll a/b with xtz and WS in the next days. But, at this level it's pointless to say which is more transparent, the determining factor at this level of quality and similar transparency should be the signature, form, comfort, functions, loudness and all the rest.
IMO...

May 2, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #2,342 of 3,643
I'm a bigger fan of dynamic hard hitting bass I think, since I already have devices for softer bass.
then no Samsung.
If you can wait I'm making tests all the time and I'll try to keep your needs in mind.

But I need more clarity from your side. Can you describe better the sound signature you wish, as clearly as possible?
And explain your priorities.
If multi and LL are less important than fast hitting bass (dry punch? Fat rumble?) and power, all is different.

Anyway normal aptx is mostly OK for movies. With the ATH I had never problems.

May 2, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,343 of 3,643
I was just stating they're not what he needs if he listen lot of edm and metal and hip hop.

With all due respect mate, that implies he has the same preferences as you do, which is impossible to know. I for instance love the H7 with EDM and the little hip-hop I listen to. Metal, I don't listen to much anymore, but when I listen to Tool, Sevendust, Disturbed, that kind of music, I find the H7 nails it. I don't at all care that we don't agree on the H7, I'm only objecting to using prescriptive language.

I think you saying for my preference, the H7 would not be my choice for EDM, metal or hip hop would be better. For all you know, he may prefer a slightly warmer signature with those genres. For all I know, he may completely share your preferences. That is all I am saying.

May 2, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #2,344 of 3,643
Sonic, you should read the end if his last message again.
It's very clear to me that fast hard hitting bass definitely exclude the h7.
I've also no problem with disagreeing, but if you want me to tell that the sun moves around the earth, I'll not.

May 2, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #2,345 of 3,643
And, what I or you enjoy has nothing to do here.
When suggesting headphones and receiving a list of preferred musical genres without an exact explanation of the required signature and qualities of sound (smooth, aggressive, loud), we must consider the most typical/probable/average kind of association between listed genres and kind of headphone.
And no matter how you like your metal, or I like my dubstep, "typically" hip hop is associated with something very different from the sound which h7 or momentum offer.
You talk of sound quality, I talk of engagement.
And I've explained it well.
Hip hop, metal, techno, dubstep, are "typically" NOT things one listens to while immobile sitting drinking tea enjoying the hi-fi qualities of the recording.
They "typically" require a certain power, a certain quantity and quantity of bass, a certain quality of hard hitting impactful sound.
Classical typically requires very good soundstage and separation and detail.
Pop/folk may require smoothness etc.

And the h7 are without any possible lesser doubt NOT the typical headphones for hip hop, metal, hard hitting bass, hard core edm, dubstep etc.

So, unless he gives more details about what kind of sound he wants (and he kind of gave some detail, which you seem to have missed), I'll suggest him the typical, but what you or I may like.

Now I'm curious about which kind of edm exactly you enjoy on the h7.

May 2, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #2,346 of 3,643
Now I'm curious about which kind of edm exactly you enjoy on the h7.

I like everything I have heard on the H7, the sound signature for my taste is pretty darn good. So anything from Deadmau5 to the one hit wonder, here today, gone tomorrow type of artist that dominates the genre as found on Tidal, or Bandcamp is what I use. I also lump in electronica in general into EDM because as long as it has a danceable beat, it is EDM. I'm not the type who feels it has to fit within a narrow definition of what EDM should be (BPM, predefined structure etc). As I said, if you can dance to it, and realistically it may work in a club setting at some point in the night, I consider it EDM.

I don't know, I listen to EDM or any music sitting around my house or on the bus. I can't imagine that many people dance around with headphones on their own. I think when people are really wanting to dance, they aren't reaching for their headphones, they are hitting the club or a house party sans headphone. I don't think there is a correct way to consume any musical genre, just whatever way you consume it at that moment in time.

Listen, I suspect for a great number of people you may be perfectly correct about what it is they are looking for, I would be foolish to think otherwise. It would also be silly of me to think I'm the only person who would love the H7 with those styles of music. I have gone from preferring that edge to the sound to liking a little softer approach. I just find it less fatiguing, that is me, and I'm totally cool with that not describing most people. That said, the target curves that quite a bit of research has identified as being more globally preferred does seem to support a slightly soft approach. And again, there is no one style that I prefer all of the time, sometimes I do want some extra kick and impact, a little extra sizzle in the highs to get myself excited. I'm glad there are so many choices available to us. Just the other day I wanted a little more kick so I took my WS99BT with me and left the H7 at home.

My only point was to point out we can't say who else will like one sound signature over another, we can only discuss our preferences with any certainty.

Anyway, before this just goes on in a circular loop of each of us applying our infallible logic to support our position, you have worked very hard to build this excellent thread that benefits the community greatly so I'll just say thanks for exchanging perspectives and be done as I don't want to stay OT any longer.

May 3, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #2,347 of 3,643
Interesting discussion. I have to say that I LOVE the H7 with music that requires bass. I listen to R&B, hip-hop, classic House, and EDM. I can listen for hours with the H7 because they have clear bass that isn't "thumping" but is non-fatiguing while still being very present. I thought I was a basshead until I heard headphones with better sound signatures. I still love my bass, but now it has to be clean bass, not overwhelming.

That said, if someone really wants harder bass without killing their ears, maybe try the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless. I only have the wired M-100 version, but they are good for heavier bass and don't kill your ears with muddiness. I'd think the wireless version would have similar sound. Parrot Ziks also have heavier bass, but they are also heavy in weight and have short battery life.

May 3, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,348 of 3,643
Sonic...
When you say "you have worked very hard to build this excellent thread that benefits the community greatly so I'll just say thanks" you are not talking of my thread and definitely not of me. You are talking of yourself.
You seem to perceive a sort of conflict between your opinion and my opinion.
I do not see any conflict. And for me our conversation is not OT at all.
The idea of this thread is that different people will say different things about the same headphone, and SO the readers will have more chances to find somebody with his same/similar tastes, needs, way of thinking etc.
So if you think that to be thankful for my work you have to shut up, you are not honouring my work.
And with me you do not need to say "with all respect". I do not feel "not respected" when people contradict my opinion.

We actually do NOT disagree on the H7. I too consider them enjoyable for when I want to listen to EDM while sitting on the sofa.
We agree on how the H7 sound, but disagree on if that sound is the one he wants.
And please notice, when you say that advising against the H7 implies he has the same preferences as I do, you forget that suggesting the H7 implies he has the same preferences as you do.

Now, you clearly stated that the H7 are smooth and when you want a harder hitting one you pick the WS99BT.
Well, he clearly said "I'm a bigger fan of dynamic hard hitting bass I think, since I already have devices for softer bass."
His request is clearly excluding the H7.

So, first part of the "disagreement" solved.

Then there is the other part, where you think I am saying that your way of listening to EDM is "not correct".
I have never said that. I have said your way is not "typical".
And to use your words "it would be foolish" to think that there is not a tendency in the people who like a specific genre.
And in the collective imaginary Hip Hop is associated with Beats, not with H7.
Same goes for Heavy Metal. If you can be immobile while listen to Heavy Metal, and drink your tea without shaking head and hands pouring it on the sofa, and stay concentrated on your newspaper while having somebody shouting "die mother ****** die" on your ears, it's ok. But definitely not typical.

EDM actually MEANS "Electronic DANCE Music", not "Enjoyable Dream Music".
So when you write "I can't imagine that many people dance around with headphones on their own. I think when people are really wanting to dance, they aren't reaching for their headphones, they are hitting the club or a house party sans headphone." you are kind of failing to your own requirement of talking of one's own preferences.
Of course one could calmly drink Earl Grey while listening to Dubstep like THIS (from 1:35) and Electroswing like Lazlo (from 2:25), or could want to use a smooth headphone for Nirvana's "Smell like Teen Spirit" or Skunk Anansie's "Charlie Big Potato", but that is NOT typical.

Btw I really DO dance, alone at home, or move from room to room jumping, while I listen to that kind of music.
I also go to Clubs, and indeed if I listen to that music in that way on those headphones it's exactly BECAUSE I go to Clubs and for me that music is inseparably associated with the feeling it gives me on a Club with those huge and powerful speakers producing enormous waves of body-shaking bass which you feel in the BONES.

I spoke.
Now I must test.

May 3, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,349 of 3,643
Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I've visited this thread, but I'm now looking for a second (hopefully better) pair of BT headphones.

I own and use daily the Plantronics BBP, paired with a Samsung Galaxy S3. I have intermittent BT stability issues such as the playback pausing on its own and then the headphones no longer responding to its controls. If I select play again on the phone, the music will begin for a moment then pause once again and the headphones are unresponsive once more. At this point, if I simply touch the metal extender on the right side (I have no idea why this works), the music will start up again, but it can remain iffy until I unpair the headphones, shut them down, shut down the phone, re-pair, etc. Such a hassle. This is my third pair of BBPs, all of which have had similar issues. I've just enjoyed the sound so much that until now I was willing to put up with their quirks. And having had three BBPs over a period of about 1 year, I've spent enough time with them to discover what I DON'T like about their sound:

The bass is great, no real complaints there. The mids are recessed and sometimes leave me dissatisfied with vocals. The highs are maybe too sparkly. The sound stage is a bit cramped. I use Poweramp exclusively and am quite happy with the app. But no matter the adjustments I make with the EQ and pre-amp, I will get distortion in certain passages of songs. It doesn't seem related to the bass, but rather some other frequency range (if that makes sense. I'm no expert). Sparkly, crackly, static-y, are the words I would use to describe what I hear. What I don't know is if I'm simply hearing the limitations of Bluetooth technology (the phone and headphones support apt-x), or if the phone's audio processor, or the headphones are the culprit. Too many variables for me to wrap my head around.

(I may also be getting a new smartphone, with the hopes that I can find one with better audio (over Bluetooth) than the S3.)

I prefer over-ear, but am open to on-ear if they are comfortable enough for long periods of time and can provide enough sound isolation. ANC is also a plus. Long battery life and apt-x are essential. Replaceable earpads would be great. I would appreciate a wider sound stage than the BBPs. Resonant, accurate, but not thumping bass, maybe a bit more mid-range and presence with vocals, really clear highs--I love to hear those cymbals--but without harshness. 
Well, OK, I guess none of that is unique. It's probably what most people want.

I listen to a rather wide variety of genres, but mostly classic jazz, indie rock/indie folk, current jazz, some electronica. If it helps to narrow down potential suggestions, and in case you're familiar with these artists, I can tell you I listen to (aside from the classic jazz) John Zorn, Medeski Martin & Wood, Pixies, Sufjan Stevens, Sparklehorse, Yo La Tengo, Tom Waits, Michael Nyman and other minimalist composers, Beach House, Mum, Andrew Bird, The Black Keys, The Strokes....Hopefully that represents enough of a range to give some idea.

The headphones I've been looking at, my short list if you will, are:

XTZ Divine (worried about on-ear comfort, isolation, and SQ)
V-Moda Crossfade Wireless (I have concerns about the lack of apt-x, but boy, these sure do look like quality cans)
Marshall Major II (same concerns as XTZ)
Sony MDR1ABT (used, due to budget constraints)
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless (used, due to budget constraints)
Ausdom M05 Over Ear Wireless (I don't expect these to compare to the others, but for approximately $70 they might be worth a listen, based on some really good reviews I've read)
Pendulumic Stance S1+
Definitive Technology Symphony 1 Over-Ear (used, due to budget constraints)
Pendulumic Tach T1 (same concerns as XTZ)

If anyone has suggestions aside from these, I'm all ears.

I've previously owned and returned:
Polk Hinge Wireless
Bose Soundlink On-Ear
Creative Aurvana Gold
Sony MDRXB950BT
Monster iSport Freedom Wireless Bluetooth On-Ear
Audio-Technica SOLID BASS Bluetooth wireless stereo headphone ATH-WS99BT

None sounded as good as the BBP, with the ATH-WS99 sounding the worst. I think the Bose had the most stable connection, and despite being on-ear, were quite comfortable.

Full disclosure, I did ask generally the same question a long time ago, and that was when I took Giogio's advice with the Plantronics and the ATH. The ATH were a bust for me, but the Plantronics were a terrific suggestion. Just looking for a bit of an upgrade, with an eye (ear) towards less distortion and better stability.

May 3, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #2,350 of 3,643
  That said, if someone really wants harder bass without killing their ears, maybe try the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless. I only have the wired M-100 version, but they are good for heavier bass and don't kill your ears with muddiness. I'd think the wireless version would have similar sound. Parrot Ziks also have heavier bass, but they are also heavy in weight and have short battery life.

For sound quality and balance I consider the Zik (specially the 3) superior to the Crossfade Wireless. At least when ANC and Hall are used. Without ANC they sound a bit dull (which anyway can be compensated with their internal EQ), without Hall they sound a bit harsh (specially the 2).
The Crossfade are ok and indeed can get loud and have a relatively engaging bass, but are uncontrolled, the sound is less "natural" and their supposed power is a bit "air without matter", to say it in an exaggerated way just to give the idea.
But they made it into the 8 more engaging Headphones (of 100) in my Engagement Test. They both.

Did you personally try the Zik 2 or 3? I do not find them heavy at all.
The battery life, yes. But you can have an extra battery. You cannot with the Crossfade. And you never know how much batter is left on the Crossfade, so you must still charge every day in the doubt. The Zik tells you exactly the % left.
Yes, you can not use them for more then 6-8 hours a day at max volume and with ANC. But do you really listen to music at max vol every day more than 8 hours a day? If so, you'll have no problem in carrying an extra battery in the pouch where you surely will put the Zik.
And, take the ANC away and you have more battery.
The Crossfade have no ANC at all. And their passive isolation is definitely not as wonderful as V-Moda says.
On top of that, with the Crossfade you must use an external EQ if you want to tune their signature to your tastes. And you cannot do that when streaming.
With the Zik you can tune them like you want with their good internal parametric EQ.
The controls of the Crossfade felt very unpractical to me. The touch control of the Zik are very good.

For me the Zik are definitely superior to the Crossfade.

May 3, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #2,351 of 3,643
  Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I've visited this thread, but I'm now looking for a second (hopefully better) pair of BT headphones.

Impossible to answer if you do not say exactly what you did not like on the headphones which you returned, and why exactly those concerns on some HP on your whishlist.

May 3, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #2,352 of 3,643
  Impossible to answer if you do not say exactly what you did not like on the headphones which you returned, and why exactly those concerns on some HP on your whishlist.

Polk Hinge Wireless (I had trouble EQing them to achieve any satisfactory sound. They seemed almost mid-heavy. Which i liken to bad radio sound. They slipped a bit on the head. The controls felt cheap. Very stylish looking though. And A/B-ing them with the BBP, they simply paled in comparison.)
Bose Soundlink On-Ear (Really not bad. Comfortable, pretty good overall sound, especially considering they did not have apt-x. Honestly, the main reason I returned them was because the sound did not seem as dynamic as the BBP, and at $250 there was nothing remarkable enough about them to keep them. I would consider them again for around $150.)
Creative Aurvana Gold (Terribly uncomfortable--heavy clamping  pressure, physically heavy all-around, and the ear cups made me sweat almost immediately. A lot of bass, maybe too much, making them sound just a bit muddy or colored overall.)
Sony MDRXB950BT (These were a joke. I had to make bizarre, extreme adjustments with the EQ to get them to sound almost acceptable. It was like listening to music coming through the wall from your  neighbor's party. I wish I could be more specific about the sound issues.)
Monster iSport Freedom Wireless Bluetooth On-Ear (Entirely unremarkable sound, and the clamping pressure was the worst of all the headphones I tried. This is one of the main reasons I worry about on-ear headphones.)
Audio-Technica SOLID BASS Bluetooth wireless stereo headphone ATH-WS99BT (The bass was so extreme that I could hear nothing else. I remember distinctly listening to Fiona Apple's latest record, with the ATH and the BBP both in hand, going back and forth between the two. The bass on the ATH was so overwhelming and unnatural that I literally couldn't even tell which instruments were producing the low notes. It was all just thumping, without the slightest bit of definition. I would go back to the BBP and say, oh, that was the kick drum. Or the acoustic bass. Back to the ATH, it was just a vibration.)

Because all of those had to be returned within 30 days, and I had to fit in my completely non-scientific testing and comparisons within that time frame, I focused mostly on SQ and not Bluetooth connection issues. I will say, based on memory, that none of them had any glaring BT stability issues. But also, when making A/B comparisons (all of these were compared against the BBP), it's difficult to walk around and attempt to recreate any particular movement or scenario that would cause the aforementioned issues with the BBP and my phone. Rather, I would sit comfortably, putting on one pair, then the other, back and forth. So I apologize for being able to speak only of my impressions of their SQ.

My concerns about those 3 picks on my list are based around the fact that they are all on-ear. My past experience with on-ear has been hit or miss. Comfort with the Bose, but not with the Polk or the iSport. And because I work in an often noisy environment, I do worry that the on-ear style might not seal out enough of the surrounding noise.

May 3, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #2,353 of 3,643
@Giogio, no I was talking about the thread and work you have created mate, not about me. Not sure where you get that it is me thing, I can only imagine you are trying to lead me to a personal revelation. I hate to say it mate, but you did it again, you sort of prescribed what EDM should be while framing it in terms of your interpretation. You essentially put down what I was calling EDM as "Enjoyable Dreaming Music". I rather doubt you are the type of person who assumes all dancing happens in one manner that you ascribe to. I can assure you, some people really enjoy dancing at many paces and rhythms so as I said, and I will repeat myself, if the music is danceable (subjective) and it is electronic in composition then it is EDM to me. I do like some very fast BPM and Drum and Bass style EDM, I basically like a very wide variety of music, but I do not wish to prescribe for others what EDM is, I will leave that to them.

I don't care if we agree  or not about the H7, I'm far too old and experienced in life to really get my nose bent out of joint over such unimportant matters. I am quite able to sit and listen to energetic music, my mind can move even when my body doesn't so I don't subscribe to the notion that one must move around and jump about to be actually taking in the truth of the experience. My mind has always been a powerful source of movement for me and that helps in social settings where one can't jump about, like on the bus where I do most of my music listening these days. Not sure how old you guys are, but I'm almost 48 so as much as I get moved and taken up by the music, no, I'm not going to run around the house and dance. I used to, and it was a blast, but now I save that type of experience for dancing with a warm female form.

Anyway, I think I'm going to thank you for your hospitality in this thread and move along. I have enjoyed the experience up until recently, and I have learned a great deal about Bluetooth headphones from you and this thread. All the best and I'm quite sure those who follow this thread will continue to benefit from your zest and experience.

May 3, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #2,354 of 3,643
  For sound quality and balance I consider the Zik (specially the 3) superior to the Crossfade Wireless. At least when ANC and Hall are used. Without ANC they sound a bit dull (which anyway can be compensated with their internal EQ), without Hall they sound a bit harsh (specially the 2).
The Crossfade are ok and indeed can get loud and have a relatively engaging bass, but are uncontrolled, the sound is less "natural" and their supposed power is a bit "air without matter", to say it in an exaggerated way just to give the idea.
But they made it into the 8 more engaging Headphones (of 100) in my Engagement Test. They both.

Did you personally try the Zik 2 or 3? I do not find them heavy at all.
The battery life, yes. But you can have an extra battery. You cannot with the Crossfade. And you never know how much batter is left on the Crossfade, so you must still charge every day in the doubt. The Zik tells you exactly the % left.
Yes, you can not use them for more then 6-8 hours a day at max volume and with ANC. But do you really listen to music at max vol every day more than 8 hours a day? If so, you'll have no problem in carrying an extra battery in the pouch where you surely will put the Zik.
And, take the ANC away and you have more battery.
The Crossfade have no ANC at all. And their passive isolation is definitely not as wonderful as V-Moda says.
On top of that, with the Crossfade you must use an external EQ if you want to tune their signature to your tastes. And you cannot do that when streaming.
With the Zik you can tune them like you want with their good internal parametric EQ.
The controls of the Crossfade felt very unpractical to me. The touch control of the Zik are very good.

For me the Zik are definitely superior to the Crossfade.
______________________________________________________________________________________

I OWN both the Parrot Zik 1 and 2, plus other headphones. The Parrots are indeed heavier than all my other sets, no way around that. How many people want heavy headphones on their head for multiple hours? Although if you're only going to be using them for an hour or two, it's OK. They require an app to sound good, which is their major drawback. I do love my Parrots because they are unique in the world of headphones. But they do have properties that some may not want to put up with. You NEED that app to do anything useful and not everyone is on iOS and Android. Plus I had to return and get a replacement for my Parrot Zik 2 because their wired airplane mode produced pops and whistles on the first one. Clearly a defect. The second set is perfect in wired airplane mode. But there are many reports that Parrot has inconsistent build quality. Namely with their earpads, although mine haven't gone that route yet since I rotate between all of my sets regularly. To be fair, I don't own the Parrot Zik 3(I'm eyeing that red one though), so I can't comment on the sound quality of the 3. I did see in your other thread that you prefer it over the 2. IMO though, Parrots are high maintenance divas. Needs an app to use them, needs extra battery, needs to be in wired airplane mode just to get extra battery life. And they sound absolutely HORRIBLE and LIFELESS unless you turn them on.

As for V-Moda Crossfade, I only own wired. I just thought the sound signature would be similar on the wireless version. At least this is what V-Moda says. I think V-Moda sounds great without an EQ. I'm having no trouble streaming with them. Spotify and Apple Music(from iOS device only) does have an equalizer though, just in case. I do know that in iOS, you will get BT battery percentage on your phone notification center for all BT devices. Except with the Parrots, because you need to open the app.

Here's the link to the wireless info for anyone interested. Sure, it's basically reads like an ad but there are some advantages over other BT headsets.
http://v-moda.com/crossfade-wireless/

Multipoint connection being a big one that many other BT sets lack, including Parrots. I also wasn't able to get multipoint connection on the H7, although maybe I missed something. Also the ad implies that they will sound perfectly acceptable wired with the power off, unlike the Parrots. I'm not writing off the V-Modas so easily because they are a pick up, turn on, great sounding on-the-go headphones. They definitely deserve consideration. Parrots look sexier though, they just may be too much hassle for some looking for on the go wireless. That battery life really hurts them. And the extra battery is an annoyance as far as I'm concerned. I would get an extra battery but only because rechargeable batteries have a limited lifespan eventually, not because I NEED one to keep the music going.

May 3, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #2,355 of 3,643
1 I OWN both the Parrot Zik 1 and 2, plus other headphones.
2 How many people want heavy headphones on their head for multiple hours?
3 They require an app to sound good, which is their major drawback.
4 But there are many reports that Parrot has inconsistent build quality. Namely with their earpads
5 I think V-Moda sounds great without an EQ. I'm having no trouble streaming with them. Spotify and Apple Music(from iOS device only) does have an equalizer though, just in case.
6 I do know that in iOS, you will get BT battery percentage on your phone notification center for all BT devices
7 there are some advantages over other BT headsets.
8 Multipoint connection being a big one that many other BT sets lack, including Parrots. I also wasn't able to get multipoint connection on the H7
9 Also the ad implies that they will sound perfectly acceptable wired with the power off
10 They definitely deserve consideration
11 Parrots look sexier though, they just may be too much hassle for some looking for on the go wireless.

1 which other?
2 the question is not formulated fairly. Kind of lawyer questions which either you lie or you lose. But as I said, I very definitely do not feel them heavy on my head not even a tiny little bit.  would have indeed never ever possible thought of them as heavy if you would have not said they are heavy for you. Are there lighter cans? Yes. Does that mean that the Zik are "heavy"? No. It only means those other cans are lighter. But, well, no problem for me if they are heavy for you. But it's not objective. They may be heavier than all your cans, but this does NOT mean they are objectively heavy and anybody would feel them as heavy and uncomfortable.
3 that is not really true. They do not require an app to sound well. They require an app to be set so to sound well. Once you set them, the settings are stored on the Headphone and they will sound that way WHEREVER you use them, even on a PC or a device without the App. And, yes, not everybody has got Android or iOS. But I wonder how many people who use BT Headphones do not have an Android or iOS device, and how exactly do they use a BT headphone then, with which source...
4 this was apparently corrected with Zik 3. But as we talk of pads, the Crossfade need the XL pads to sound better and to be more comfortable on long term. Although the cans are darn expensive, the XL pads are not included, you must buy them. And mounting them is a pain in the A.
5 well, all is relative to tastes, backgrounds, previous headphones, and a lot relative to the music. In my tests now I use 66 tracks of different kind of music. And it is simply astonishing how each headphone can sound well with something and bad with something else. For example, you can listen to classical or jazz with the Crossfade, but it is like eating spaghetti with a spoon. Good luck and have fun. I personally find the Zik 3 to be more balanced than the Crossfade and to sound good with more music than the Crossfade.
6 didn't know, I own no iOS. Interesting. Are you sure? the REAL value? This sounds not credible to me, it implies that there is a reliable communication between HP and phone, and that the HP says to the phone how much it is left. I find it hard to believe that all BT headphones have this ability.
7 which? I cannot think of anything but 2: AAC+ and multipoint. AAC+ which is impossible to test how really useful it is, unless you test the same headphone with same song on an iPhone 5 (AAC) and an iPhone 6 (AAC+). For example the LDAC of Sony does not give any advantage with normal (=non Hi-Res) music. I doubt the AAC+ would make any difference with normal music either. And the propaganda made by the V-Moda CEO on the CFW was a real disinformation campaign mostly trying to throw unfair and untrue mud on the Aptx. He said lot of things which are totally false.
Multipoint is relative to personal needs. I do not need it, and actually hate it during my tests because creates a lot of complication in my setup of 8 BT adapters. But yes, it is potentially useful for some people.
The Parrot have HD Voice Calls, which also needs a spacial phone and/or provider (I am not into that, so, no idea). They have ANC which many people need. So, it is probably a matter of what one wants.
8 the H7 do not support Multipoint. The H8 do.
9 not to me. I do not like their sound so they do not sound acceptable to me wired or wireless. If not with some precise music. But, it's very much a matter of tastes. Maybe the AD means that they sound consistent in the two different modes. Yes, the Zik are famous to sound horrible in Wired.
10 depending on the musical tastes. I would never suggest them for classical, folk, ethic/world, jazz.
11 again subjective. Not an hassle for me. ALl what you do not like in them is not bothering me (ie battery life or carrying an extra battery, which as said goes perfectly on the pouch) or I do not share that feeling (like them being heavy).

Anyway to be clear: they are far from being my favourite headphone and I do not own them. I have only tested them, 4 times. 3 Zik 2 and one Zik 3, and I have ABed 2 and 3. But I do not love them.

Anyway any of them would be imo a much better pick for hard EDM than the H7, I agree on that with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back