How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Feb 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #736 of 811
No...

I've got the MD5000's, but I can't remember whether the screws go into wood, or metal - I think wood.  

If so, just take a wooden toothpick, or matchstick (may have to shave it to fit) and a little wood glue and insert the stick into the holes and let it dry.  Shave off any excess protruding from the hole.  And then just screw the screws into the new wood.  

You might also fill the holes with "plastic wood" and let it dry... and... then screw the screws into the new holes.  

If screwing into metal - fill the holes with JB Weld and do the same thing.  

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #737 of 811

Quote:
No...

I've got the MD5000's, but I can't remember whether the screws go into wood, or metal - I think wood.  

If so, just take a wooden toothpick, or matchstick (may have to shave it to fit) and a little wood glue and insert the stick into the holes and let it dry.  Shave off any excess protruding from the hole.  And then just screw the screws into the new wood.  

You might also fill the holes with "plastic wood" and let it dry... and... then screw the screws into the new holes.  

If screwing into metal - fill the holes with JB Weld and do the same thing.  

I'm not talking about the 4 tiny round screws that attach the wooden ear cups to the headphone assembly but the 4 flat head screws that attach the driver to the assembly seen here

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #740 of 811
Don't know if filling then with a metalepoxy or the like and letting it cure and then redrill new holes could work

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #742 of 811
Feb 22, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #743 of 811
I made a diffuser, it seems to help with the worst of the sibilance.

On some very extreme things I still get a little, but it isn't a show stopper.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #744 of 811
Hey guys n girls!

Here is my D2K full disassembly guide:

I also have a question:
1. For the stuffing of the pads with fiberloft, and the plastic ring cup.
Are you supposed to leave the ring of the cup on there, when screwing back the pads?

2. Mark has been kind enough to sell me some dampened D5K cups for a very reasonable price. I was wondering how to exactly mod them to fit my D2K's :)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #745 of 811
Nice vid :) To get the D5K cups to fit your D2Ks, I imagine the procedure is the same as for the D2000 D7000 wood cup swap; either cut down the plastic posts on the driver housing or drill holes in the cups themselves.

Quote:
Hey guys n girls!

Here is my D2K full disassembly guide:

I also have a question:
1. For the stuffing of the pads with fiberloft, and the plastic ring cup.
Are you supposed to leave the ring of the cup on there, when screwing back the pads?

2. Mark has been kind enough to sell me some dampened D5K cups for a very reasonable price. I was wondering how to exactly mod them to fit my D2K's :)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #746 of 811

Quote:
Nice vid :) To get the D5K cups to fit your D2Ks, I imagine the procedure is the same as for the D2000 D7000 wood cup swap; either cut down the plastic posts on the driver housing or drill holes in the cups themselves.

yes but wasn't so sure about the drilling part -and i don't want to be cutting anything either :)

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #747 of 811
The drilling directions are here but you've already seen that thread I see... that thread and the 'D7000 D2000 Wood Cup Swap' one above are the only solutions really.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #749 of 811
I'm guessing the bit you're finding confusing is this? It confused me too.

5. Take the D7000 cups and inspect them. You should see four screw holes and a notch just above the bottom of the cup (illustrated in the accompanying picture). Drill to a depth that is roughly 2 centimeters up from the notch (just a little bit down from the top of the yellow oval) so the posts on the D2000 will fit these cups.

I don't see where you can move 2cm in any direction there without being miles away from where you want to drill, maybe he meant millimeters? You'll essentially need to drill very carefully and slowly to a depth equivalent to what you can see in the picture, centrally in the parts of the wood that jut out into the middle of the cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back