Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › A trick to get less treble and sibilance on Markl modded Denons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A trick to get less treble and sibilance on Markl modded Denons

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Hi, i don't know if this has already been noticed, but i discovered a simple trick to reduce sibilance on Markl modded Denons.
I also noticed that treble can sometimes be too much on these headphoes when modded.


You need one of those cheap 2 dollars heaphones you can find everywhere, like those used to add a headband to Yuin clip-ons:

Parts-Express.com:*Mini Headphones | headphones earbuds earphones MP3 reference ipod portable walkman mp3 cd personal

I founded them here in Italy under the brand Trevi.


Now, let's go.

Remove the Denon's earpad simply following Markl mod procedure:

Quote:
--Place the flat of your palms firmly up against the ear pad, and applying even, firm pressure, twist the pad counter-clockwise. It will pop out of the assembly.

--You will notice on the underside of the ear pads, there is a little white plastic ring that has notches in it that re-attach the pad to the headphone assembly.
You'll have this:



Now remove the earpads from the cheap headphones and cut away their external part, as you see in the photo:



You'll notice that this foam is about the dimension of the metal grill upon the driver of your Denons. Now simply put the foam on the metal grill:



and close the heaphone mounting the earpad in his place.


You'll notice less sibilance, slightly quieter hights and more prominent, warmer mids.
I really love the way it sounds. You can try, and if you don't like them, simply remove the foam.

Sorry for my imperfect english.
post #2 of 19
Nice!
I don't think my un-modded D5000's are sibilant, so for me there isn't any need for this mod, but it's great to see that those earpads fit perfectly
post #3 of 19
Sweet, I may have to try it on my modded D2000 in the near future
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink View Post
Nice!
I don't think my un-modded D5000's are sibilant, so for me there isn't any need for this mod, but it's great to see that those earpads fit perfectly
In fact, un-modded Denons are not sibilant. But there is a little sibilance (though not terrible) on modded Denons, expecially if you reduce the bass quantity filling the wood earcup with fiberloft.
With this trick it seems better.
post #5 of 19
Why do people want to remove the bass from their Denon's in the first place? Isn't that one of the draws of buying a closed headphone?
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by roker View Post
Why do people want to remove the bass from their Denon's in the first place? Isn't that one of the draws of buying a closed headphone?
It's not about removing bass, but controlling it. I was finding it hard to listen to anything but the bass in my D7000's because it was a bit dominating. It sounded good, but it was out of balance with the rest of the music. The Markl mod brought the bass to a more natural sounding level in my cans.


I may try this as well. My Denons are pretty bright and in some material it's a bit fatigueing.
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
It's not about removing bass, but controlling it. I was finding it hard to listen to anything but the bass in my D7000's because it was a bit dominating. It sounded good, but it was out of balance with the rest of the music. The Markl mod brought the bass to a more natural sounding level in my cans.


I may try this as well. My Denons are pretty bright and in some material it's a bit fatigueing.
Yup well said. The bass was just too out of control and slow before the mod, but after.... Ahhhh
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
I may try this as well. My Denons are pretty bright and in some material it's a bit fatigueing.
You can also cut some holes in the foam, if you fill that the hights are quieted too much.
Or try a different kind of foam (more or less porous, more or less thick, etc).

I had this idea when i noticed that the Sennheiser HD650 foam quieted the hights a little bit, so i tried to do the opposite, and i think it works pretty well if you find the Denons a little bright.
post #9 of 19
Or silk like in Grado's maybe?
post #10 of 19
Yeah this is just like the reverse of HD600 defoam mod. Funny how foams affect a lot. If D5000 can be tweaked a bit towards the HD600 warmth, man...
post #11 of 19

7000 highs

Quote:
Originally Posted by archigius View Post
Hi, i don't know if this has already been noticed, but i discovered a simple trick to reduce sibilance on Markl modded Denons.
I also noticed that treble can sometimes be too much on these headphoes when modded.


You need one of those cheap 2 dollars heaphones you can find everywhere, like those used to add a headband to Yuin clip-ons:

Parts-Express.com:*Mini Headphones | headphones earbuds earphones MP3 reference ipod portable walkman mp3 cd personal

I founded them here in Italy under the brand Trevi.


Now, let's go.

Remove the Denon's earpad simply following Markl mod procedure:



You'll have this:



Now remove the earpads from the cheap headphones and cut away their external part, as you see in the photo:



You'll notice that this foam is about the dimension of the metal grill upon the driver of your Denons. Now simply put the foam on the metal grill:



and close the heaphone mounting the earpad in his place.


You'll notice less sibilance, slightly quieter hights and more prominent, warmer mids.
I really love the way it sounds. You can try, and if you don't like them, simply remove the foam.

Sorry for my imperfect english.
great idea whay the hell didnt i think of something like that,,, i find that my 7000 treble abit too high
post #12 of 19
for my 7000 which should be same as 5000, any speccial tricks or things to look for especially considering i dont want to damage stock pads: thanks
post #13 of 19
dang how much pressure should be applied while tring to counterr clock twist the denon,, i am worried as i have the 7000 dont know if it is same procedure
i tried but no budge and i dont wanna push too hard now
post #14 of 19
has anyone tried this? I find this quite interesting, im going to give it a shot.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
has anyone tried this? I find this quite interesting, im going to give it a shot.
archigius has

I think I'd rather eq poor records with nasty sibilance than modding my D5000's, this modd is somewhat permanent (undoing it is too much hassle)
I don't want to trade-in the occasional sibilance for a permanent veil on great recorded material.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › A trick to get less treble and sibilance on Markl modded Denons