How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Jul 15, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #346 of 811
I just received and did the earpad mod on my D5000s. I have yet to order some dynamat in but will do so as soon as I find a good deal on the bay. Since I live in Australia, I haven't been able to get my hands on Mountain Mist. So I got the only brand available at my local crafts shop which is Crest-a-lon fibre fill. Apparently its a silicon coated polyester. Not sure about how much acoustical difference that would make to the mod. But since it is only for the pads and not the cups it wouldn't matter as much I hope?

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #347 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by renugaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received and did the earpad mod on my D5000s. I have yet to order some dynamat in but will do so as soon as I find a good deal on the bay. Since I live in Australia, I haven't been able to get my hands on Mountain Mist. So I got the only brand available at my local crafts shop which is Crest-a-lon fibre fill. Apparently its a silicon coated polyester. Not sure about how much acoustical difference that would make to the mod. But since it is only for the pads and not the cups it wouldn't matter as much I hope?

yeah... if it's just for the pads it shouldn't matter at all... putting them in the wooden area is another story.

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #348 of 811
Quote:

I have yet to order some dynamat in but will do so as soon as I find a good deal on the bay.

This is dynamat for Aussies
wink.gif
:

Jaycar Electronics

I have both and it is identical.

Hope that helps!

Steve.

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #349 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is dynamat for Aussies
wink.gif
:

Jaycar Electronics

I have both and it is identical.

Hope that helps!

Steve.

wow! thanks! BTW nice current headphone inventory! Mine is coming along similarly. I was actually considering the PK1s as well. Is your D5000 Markl'd?

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #350 of 811
Quote:

wow! thanks!

Welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

BTW nice current headphone inventory! Mine is coming along similarly.

Thanks, I'll update it now too.

Quote:

I was actually considering the PK1s as well.

Great for at work.

Quote:

Is your D5000 Markl'd?

Oh yes!
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #351 of 811
The more I listen to my D5000s... now with almost 500 hrs... the more I'm amazed by their very fine resolution and refined detail and texture - they just get better and better (maybe that's what you people call "inner detail") - I don't know... but its impressive. Its a bit what I "imagine" Stax phones sound like - with regard to the resolution and refined detail.

They also have quite a large, or precise, soundstage - that is separation of instruments and performers, and space around each one, so that you can pretty much identify their relative positions, a bit 3 dimensional. Seems a bit moreso, than the Senns. I hesitate to use the word "holographic," because I've not yet heard it expand beyond my head to across the room, as I have with Senns and the WA3. Though you do generally get a bit more of a sense of space and air than with the Senns.

And... this... despite the fact that I'm also extemely impressed by both my "new" version HD580/600s and "new" version HD650s. Though, at this point... they don't seem to have quite the same resolution and refined detail that the D5000s have. Their bass and mids may be better, but not the resolution and refined detail - which just seems to be a bit greater with the D5000s.

I don't know how much better each of these may get, but they're all very impressive. Hard to choose just one as "the best" right now.

But... I'm beginning to understand what "Markl" was talking about, when he labeled the modified D5000s as "the best dynamic phones he's heard."

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #352 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more I listen to my D5000s... now with almost 500 hrs... the more I'm amazed by their very fine resolution and refined detail and texture - they just get better and better (maybe that's what you people call "inner detail") - I don't know... but its impressive. Its a bit what I "imagine" Stax phones sound like - with regard to the resolution and refined detail.

But... I'm beginning to understand what "Markl" was talking about, when he labeled the modified D5000s as "the best dynamic phones he's heard."

This is very encouraging news, GF2. I don't have 500 hours on my headphones yet, and maybe I should get there soon. What amp are you using with the Denons?

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #353 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is very encouraging news, GF2. I don't have 500 hours on my headphones yet, and maybe I should get there soon. What amp are you using with the Denons?

I'm using the DV332... but... the X-CANv8 is better with the D5000s.

Yes... the D5000s just get better and better - suprisingly so.

Though... I think it depends a lot of things like the termperature, humidity and barimetric pressure, your body chemistry that day, etc. Meaning... that your phones will often sound great one day... and absolutely "strange" the next day. Something's changing besides your equipment.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #354 of 811
FWIW, my Markl D5000s sound absolutely stunning with my iQube amp. When I listen to my HD650s, they sound rather flat and lifeless in comparison.

I can only thank Mark over again for his superb work in refining the Denon to the point that it is a truly world-class headphone!

It is true that they need several hundred hours to approach their true potential.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #355 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it depends a lot on things like the termperature, humidity and barimetric pressure, your body chemistry that day, etc.

Perhaps there is a correlation between sign of the Zodiac and headphone preference. As a Libra, I suppose I should want balanced connection cans, even though I have never owned any, although I do like well balanced sound.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #356 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, my Markl D5000s sound absolutely stunning with my iQube amp. When I listen to my HD650s, they sound rather flat and lifeless in comparison.

I can only thank Mark over again for his superb work in refining the Denon to the point that it is a truly world-class headphone!

It is true that they need several hundred hours to approach their true potential.

I think it depends a lot on your source and amp and tubes, etc.... but... yes the D5000s do seem to sound a bit more lively, more "shimery," whatever, than the Senns do. Kinda like the Senns do when using the Aphex 204 sound processor - which even set flat, makes the Senns sound more lively, more "shimery," whatever. Not that the "new" versions of the Senns sound greately inferior, they don't... but... not quite as lively.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #357 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps there is a correlation between sign of the Zodiac and headphone preference. As a Libra, I suppose I should want balanced connection cans, even though I have never owned any, although I do like well balanced sound.

Hey... I hadn't thought about it... but... now that you mention it...

As an Aquarian... mine sound more "liquid" at certain times of the year.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #358 of 811
Just finished the markl mods with the dynamat and I have to admit any doubts I had are quenched. With the amount of posts I had heard saying it was really something and others saying it makes less difference than a good amp set up. Well I'm running unamped and the bass tightening is incredible and the mids are brought forward significantly. I didnt really see the mids as recessed b4 but I could tell they were slightly less upfront than the bass and highs. Now its a steady and even spectrum. I shall update my gaming impressions soon including the dynamat mods now. Look out for it as the bass is now very tamed for gaming use.

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #359 of 811
For a great acoustic experience... try...

... the D5000s with a well matched set up and... "Clapton Unplugged."

You'll be amazed - just a very real, life-like, "you are there" performance with remarkable detail, tone, tenor, texture, soundstage - almost "ethereal" - "its got it all!"

Very "Stax-like."

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #360 of 811
OK i got a question, I'm going to markl my D2000, inside each cup there is a gray disc pad and a white fluffy strip around it, Do I remove these and then reapply them on top of the dynamat?? or just reapply the gray disc or neither...??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back