How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Sep 10, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #376 of 811
The stock D5000 is "Seriously flawed"? - You MUST be joking!

"Flatulant bass response"? - absolute tosh, IMO.

These headphones are a revelation all across their spectrum right out of the box. They give the HD-650s - the dethroned king of classical cans - more than a run for their money, outperforming them in almost every area.

The Denons are the closest thing to perfection any headphone manufacturer has hitherto come up with, IMHO.

But note that I am an ardent and exclusive classical listener, so I've no idea what pop sounds like through them (and have no intention of finding out).

More of my impressions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/den...-lover-360537/

Finally, the question that most readily springs to mind in relation to your comments is: If you dislike their sound so much, why the elaborate attempts to modify them? Surely, once the mod is done, they are no longer the D5000 we are all coming to love out of the box, but some other headphone entirely.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #377 of 811
I don't think so. The stock d5000 is a great headphone, but far from the best.

The bass is fantastic, but overpowering. The mods control the bass a bit better.

I don't think they're perfection though. Build quality is still substandard, soundstage isn't fantastic, etc.

I would think the mods are because you can hear that something's wrong, but there are ways to fix it. Do remember that it's the culmination of many attempts to produce the best.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #378 of 811
Quote:

Finally, the question that most readily springs to mind in relation to your comments is: If you dislike their sound so much, why the elaborate attempts to modify them? Surely, once the mod is done, they are no longer the D5000 we are all coming to love out of the box, but some other headphone entirely.

Wow, lots of assumption there Relham. Not everyone is loving them out of the box, many people don't care for them, some people hate them altogether. I heard a flaw that could be fixed on an otherwise promising headphone, so i fixed it. As for whether or not the mods work, read the thread, read any of the reviews or Head-Fi meet impressions. Then decide what the majority of listeners think of stock vs. mod-ed cans. Who, knows, much as you like them now, you might love them even more after the mods.

Quote:

But note that I am an ardent and exclusive classical listener, so I've no idea what pop sounds like through them (and have no intention of finding out).

Well, there ya go. Put some rock on them and they will wobble right off your skull.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #379 of 811
The reason for the huge disparity of opinion is... those that are supremely critical of them... more than likely have not heard them with a matching source and amp.

They require a very good source with correct impedance and an amp with very low impedance and high current output to sound up to their potential.

Without that they sound terrible - quite literally - with, or without the "markl mods."

If you're not going to invest in the source and amp... don't buy them... you won't like them at all... unless you're into "hip-hop, car audio."

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #380 of 811
Quote:

The reason for the huge disparity of opinion is... those that are supremely critical of them... more than likely have not heard them with a matching source and amp.

They require a very good source with correct impedance and an amp with very low impedance and high current output to sound up to their potential.

Without that they sound terrible - quite literally - with, or without the "markl mods."

If you're not going to invest in the source and amp... don't buy them... you won't like them at all... unless you're into "hip-hop, car audio."

My source- Marantz SA-7S1. $5K stock plus $3K worth of additional mods and parts upgrades.

My Amp- Rudistor RP010B. $5K.

Good enough?

I'll say it one final time, the reason some people do not hear the bass in its entirety (and don't complain about it) is due to having inadequate ampage. Underpower them and yes, the bass will dissipate and the sound will be slow and warm and inoffensive. that's one way to combat their overpowering bass, but it's the wrong way.

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #381 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My source- Marantz SA-7S1. $5K stock plus $3K worth of additional mods and parts upgrades.

My Amp- Rudistor RP010B. $5K.

Good enough?

I'll say it one final time, the reason some people do not hear the bass in its entirety (and don't complain about it) is due to having inadequate ampage. Underpower them and yes, the bass will dissipate and the sound will be slow and warm and inoffensive. that's one way to combat their overpowering bass, but it's the wrong way.

Perhaps... but I'd put my Monarchy M24 up against your source any day... although... I'm sure the Marantz is great also.

Bring it on big guy!

I have no idea whether your amp has a sufficiently low impedance, or enough current to properly drive the D5000s, or whether your source is a good match.

But... I can assure you the D5000s are totally different... totally different... phones with the right source and the right amp... and quite frankly... just don't need your mods, whatsoever... unless you're after that last 5%. Squeezing that last 5% out of them may be worth the investment for some, if you DIY the mods... or... perhaps, even worth the investment in your mods, for extremely serious OBD cases... but not for most folks, who will have trouble discerning the difference.

The system matching and the burn-in almost totally determine their SQ. If you maintain otherwise - you are not being objective. Though, I do wholeheartedly agree that the right amp, will totaly transform and control the D5000s and their "offensive bass." Much moreso than you acknowledge - though, I have no idea whether you've ever heard an unmodded pair with the right set up, and over 400+ hrs on them.

The cost of your toys... has virtually no bearing on the sound they produce - only how well their electrical properties match determines their SQ. The M24 and the Darkvoice amps are the best examples I can give you for that SQ that is truly exceptional, which rivals the most expensive set ups. And... I will assure you there is no better amp to drive the D5000s, no matter what the cost, than the X-CANv8... none... none... whatsoever.

I may have misunderstood your point... but, if not... I thought your were a far more sophisticated hobbyist than that.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #382 of 811
Gradofan2,
There are two things that grate about your posts:

1. You repeat the same opinion over and over.
2. You mistakenly believe your personal subjective experience is the last word for everyone else.

Rather than argue with you again on the same old points that you don't seem to get, can you not at least see that your *opinion* is not supported by dozens and dozens of other reports right here in this thread, as well as other comparisons done in other threads and at meets, etc.?

We've heard your opinion now a dozen times, we understand where you are coming from by now, we read you loud and clear.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's not really contributing anything to this thread anymore is it, though you are of course free to post.

I'm happy that you are happy with your system, but please don't mistake your personal subjective experience as universal truth for everyone.

As far as systems go, your statement that "I will assure you there is no better amp to drive the D5000s, no matter what the cost, than the X-CANv8... none... none... whatsoever", makes me giggle because it epitomizes your posts and absolute certainty of your opinions based on very little information/experience. We chastize newbies all the time for coming in all excited and saying this or that headphone is the "best in the world". Yeah, compared to what? Your previous Apple ear buds? If I wanted to pick a fight I'd ask how many amps you've owned, but I can already guess at the approx. answer.

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #383 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gradofan2,
There are two things that grate about your posts:

1. You repeat the same opinion over and over.
2. You mistakenly believe your personal subjective experience is the last word for everyone else.

Rather than argue with you again on the same old points that you don't seem to get, can you not at least see that your *opinion* is not supported by dozens and dozens of other reports right here in this thread, as well as other comparisons done in other threads and at meets, etc.?

We've heard your opinion now a dozen times, we understand where you are coming from by now, we read you loud and clear.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's not really contributing anything to this thread anymore is it, though you are of course free to post.

I'm happy that you are happy with your system, but please don't mistake your personal subjective experience as universal truth for everyone.

As far as systems go, your statement that "I will assure you there is no better amp to drive the D5000s, no matter what the cost, than the X-CANv8... none... none... whatsoever", makes me giggle because it epitomizes your posts and absolute certainty of your opinions based on very little information/experience. We chastize newbies all the time for coming in all excited and saying this or that headphone is the "best in the world". Yeah, compared to what? Your previous Apple ear buds? If I wanted to pick a fight I'd ask how many amps you've owned, but I can already guess at the approx. answer.

I agree 100% with Mark.

I happen to think my HeadRoom Balanced Desktop is the perfect amp for the 5000's but I also realize this is an opinion and not fact.

Sep 24, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #384 of 811
Gradofan, the Marantz SA7s1 has been reviewed by many well known publications as being the current benchmark.

But go on and believe your "whatever its called" is the best...

Sep 26, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #385 of 811
After the mods I've had one of the cups come loose from the frame. The screws that attach the plastic driver housing to the metal headphone assembly don't get any purchase and won't screw in. The driver is still attached to the cup ok. Any recommended fixes?

Cheers!

Sep 26, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #386 of 811
Yes, i agree with Markl about Musical Fidelity annoyance coming from Gradofan2. Musical Fidelity is a bust, they just can't do headphone amps and couldn't care less for their other equipment.

Sep 26, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #387 of 811
I put the Dynamat in the back of my speaker, they kept vibrating so hard they made the fronts start flappin., worked a treat. I also had this in my car when i used to run two 15 inch subwoofers. Yep it was bassy and the matt helped a lot to stop panel vibration. Obviously the car was set up for volume rather than quality. The bass was like an earthquake when it rumbled! :0)

Oct 1, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #388 of 811
I just recently acquired a D2000, and when I opened the cups, there was already fiberloft glued to the cup. Also, the screw that always has an issue is not a bolt like the older ones. Is this a fix by Denon?

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #389 of 811
The cottony strip was always in the D2000.

There was never a bolt in there, but a plastic molded thing with little flat "wings" on the side. Is that what you see? Can you provide a pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back