How do I figure out, mathematically, if an amp will fully power specific headphones?
Sep 9, 2017 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Basshead Paul

Head-Fier
I apologize for the newbie question, but I'm having trouble finding a simple, straightforward answer to this.
What information do I need? And what do I do with that information? I want to make sure the desktop amp I buy will *fully* power my headphones. I don't want it to just be "good enough" I want it to have all the power it needs, so I want an amp that outputs the needed amount of power at the given ohms of my headphones.

I'm new to audiophile equipment, so the only equipment I have is Massdrop/AKG K7xx headphones, a Dragonfly Red dac/amp, a little Fiio e11 portable amp, and V-Moda Crossfade 2 headphones. I have Sennheiser hd650's on the way in the mail.

I like the dac in the Dragonfly Red, but I've decided I probably need a desktop amp to fully power the AKG and Senns. All the info I can find about the Dragonfly Red is it outputs 2.1v. if volume is maxed, it puts the Dragonfly Red in "line out mode." Audioquest claims that mode makes it possible to hook up with a separate amp without the problems of double amping. Can I trust them on that? And if I do buy a desktop amp, and use it with the Dragonfly Red, does that mean the power output of both the amp and the DFR will be sent to the headphones? Or will the headphones only get the power from the desktop amp?

I know I'm probably being a pain asking all these questions but the details worry me to the point that I can't decide on a desktop amp after trying for weeks. I want the desktop amp to sound good paired with the Dragonfly Red, both feeding into AKG K7xx / Sennheiser hd650. It's driving me nuts that I can't figure out if the Dragonfly Red will change the power output of the desktop amp once I get it, by adding more power due to the fact the Dragonfly has an amp

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 7
I apologize for the newbie question, but I'm having trouble finding a simple, straightforward answer to this.
What information do I need? And what do I do with that information? I want to make sure the desktop amp I buy will *fully* power my headphones. I don't want it to just be "good enough" I want it to have all the power it needs, so I want an amp that outputs the needed amount of power at the given ohms of my headphones.

I'm new to audiophile equipment, so the only equipment I have is Massdrop/AKG K7xx headphones, a Dragonfly Red dac/amp, a little Fiio e11 portable amp, and V-Moda Crossfade 2 headphones. I have Sennheiser hd650's on the way in the mail.

I like the dac in the Dragonfly Red, but I've decided I probably need a desktop amp to fully power the AKG and Senns. All the info I can find about the Dragonfly Red is it outputs 2.1v. if volume is maxed, it puts the Dragonfly Red in "line out mode." Audioquest claims that mode makes it possible to hook up with a separate amp without the problems of double amping. Can I trust them on that? And if I do buy a desktop amp, and use it with the Dragonfly Red, does that mean the power output of both the amp and the DFR will be sent to the headphones? Or will the headphones only get the power from the desktop amp?

I know I'm probably being a pain asking all these questions but the details worry me to the point that I can't decide on a desktop amp after trying for weeks. I want the desktop amp to sound good paired with the Dragonfly Red, both feeding into AKG K7xx / Sennheiser hd650. It's driving me nuts that I can't figure out if the Dragonfly Red will change the power output of the desktop amp once I get it, by adding more power due to the fact the Dragonfly has an amp
The dfr will drive both of the headphones you have but they definitely deserve something a bit beefier. Especially the Akg 7xx's.

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 7
Awesome calculator! Although, lol, 100db "moderate", 110db "fairly loud"? My ears are bleeding at merely 100db!

It's not a matter of listening at that level but whether it can hit peaks if the recording was properly recorded with proper dynamic range. Plus gain, input signal voltage, recording gain, etc, can be a factor, which is not necessarily in online calculators, which is why a 97dB/1mW headphone sensitivity does not mean that it hits 97dB as soon as you turn the volume dial.

Basically if an amp can potentially hit 120dB it will never clip even well beyond safe listening levels, and presumably, if for example the amp is rated at 0.001% THD at the output level required to take a given headphone to 120dB, then you also won't hit 1% THD even with your ears bleeding.

Of course, you can get an amp that gets the headphone to anywhere past 100dB and it will be perfectly usable, it's just that given how many capable amps are out there for not a lot of money, you might as well get a Vali2 or an O2 for anything that doesn't need something like a V281 or Lyr2. Anything between those two sets of amps and you're just getting less THD or noise, though sometimes an even blacker background will be sound like it's clearer with details throughout the range for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back