How Comparing Headphones Ended In Me Being Strip-Searched: A Lesson In Stupidity
Jul 27, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #31 of 85
Store security guards here in Australia are not permitted to do such a search.  However it's harder to negotiate or protest especially being in a foreign country without knowing their laws and your rights.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #32 of 85
No shop security guard has the right to enforce a strip search.

As the OP had done no wrong in his position I would of insisted that police were called immediately.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #33 of 85

Quote:
When you mentioned that incompetent lady that dropped your headphones, my mind was filled with rage for a couple of seconds. How could you treat someone's equipment like that? You should of gave the finger as you left if you were actually treated that badly. 

Just for your "finger" remark, I coudn't resist to pop the " From Paris with love" bluray disc and re-watched John Travolta and the French customs police. Yeah! I love it when John T. called them. ...YOU...MOFO....

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #34 of 85
Quote:
...but he did not say anything about cavity search. 
biggrin.gif

Well of course they had to do a cavity search. They have to be sure that he wasn't smuggling any IEMs out in his... ears

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #36 of 85
Once again: this is store policy and is actually fairly reasonable if you think about it.
The Saturn store is filled with all kinds of electronics that are on display and available for audition/testing. It only makes sense that they request for their customers to declare any equipment that they bring into the store. They shouldn't have asked for a strip-search though but I am sure that there was some warning sign by the locker area that warned customers that this could happen.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #37 of 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It only makes sense that they request for their customers to declare any equipment that they bring into the store. 

But they didn't did they? If you think about it, it's the responsibility of the store to ask what you're carrying. It's not the individual's fault that Saturn can't keep track of inventory, and OP is not going to do it for them.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #38 of 85
Add to that the fact they would not address the OP in English while selling electronic products which usually come with 'English product names' nor did they seem to try. An angry letter should do the trick and if the management does not react against such unfriendliness against (potential) costumers (even if they are suspicious 'acting' tourists) make some 'noise' about the way they treated you. 

Some security guards really are idiots and just because you 'look' a bit 'different' they pick you out of the crowd. It is stupid in my opinion because all you need as a security guard is the right position which gives you the best outlook over 'your department'. Oh well...

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #40 of 85
Since I can't remember the Hamburg Saturn I can't say this for sure, but in every Saturn that we have around here, there are clear warnings written in Polish, English, German and French, which inform that you need to leave your bags and electronic devices in the locker area. The very same warning sign also states that not abiding might make the security search your belongings. This is why the OP can't sue Saturn. It was within his rights to refuse to be searched and wait for the Police though.

The OP should have left his bag at the locker area and declared to the security that he is bringing in his own electronica. 

Quote:
But they didn't did they? If you think about it, it's the responsibility of the store to ask what you're carrying. It's not the individual's fault that Saturn can't keep track of inventory, and OP is not going to do it for them.

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #41 of 85
Okay, so how do you justify the strip search?

Although having said that, for those people talking lawsuit, there's pretty good chance the OP has no case. Unless they compelled him to strip, I'm pretty sure it would just go down as a request that the OP voluntarily complied with.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #42 of 85
I do agree that the strip-search was probably excessive. They should have just looked through his bag and perhaps given him a pat-down. But yeah, he has no case against them since there are warnings in the store that not leaving your bag in the locker area might make the security interested in you. 

Quote:
Okay, so how do you justify the strip search?

Although having said that, for those people talking lawsuit, there's pretty good chance the OP has no case. Unless they compelled him to strip, I'm pretty sure it would just go down as a request that the OP voluntarily complied with.

Jul 28, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #44 of 85

Quote:
I do agree that the strip-search was probably excessive. They should have just looked through his bag and perhaps given him a pat-down. But yeah, he has no case against them since there are warnings in the store that not leaving your bag in the locker area might make the security interested in you. 

Just because there's a warning, they can do whatever they want if it's not respected? Warning or not, they just don't have the power to do this. I don't believe the OP is interested in a lawsuit since he's not in the country anymore, but why people would think private security guards doing police stuff is OK is beyond me.

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #45 of 85
A strip search (IMO) can only be garnered if a) a super serious offence has been suspected of being committed e.g. holding drugs. Shoplifting hardly requires a strip search; and b) when human lives are at stake.

Such incidences are neither major enough or significant enough to allow the invasion of privacy at such an extent.

On a happier note, at least you got to go to Germany. Home of the many high-class audiophile brands :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back