Hopelessly lost in a sea of headphones - ***Another "help me choose" thread***
Sep 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hojomojo96

100+ Head-Fier
What do I want? I want headphones. Yes, that'll do. I want full size headphones. I want headphones that are a great value at the price I get them. And I would like to have phones that I can build a fairly nice system around when I want to, not have to buy new phones, a new amp, and source just to get a better system going.

Do I have a favorite genre/sound signature? Yes. I listen generally to a lot of dubstep and electronic music. However, since I also listen to many other genres, and have decent headphones for all of them, I simply want the best sound quality for the price. Something which matches up to headphones at a high price level and is competitive. The one things that is required however, is that they can't be bass anemic (not a question of feel vs hear, as long as its there and noticeable).

Now, heres the catch: my price range atm is $430, for both amp and phones. If the phones can be driven with a cheaper amp, then theres more money for the phones, and vice versa. I might be willing to stretch a bit further for a significant improvement in sound quality
The top contender at the moment is the Mad Dogs with an Audinst AMP-HP. $430 on the dot. However, I've heard varying reviews of the Mad Dogs, from being only average at the price, to on the level of the LCD-2's.
Some other contenders are the Hifiman he-300 and he-400, but I've heard they don't provide much room for improvement with high end sources etc.
A couple more in consideration are the HD650, the dt880, and the Ultrasone Pro 900's.

Thanks for grinding through the long read, and for any and all advice given,

Hojomojo96

PS:a quick question. Are there any nice wood cupped headphones in this price range?

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 7
So the Mad Dogs are "scalable" (if I start with a cheap amp, they'll sound nice, but if I get a nice high end amp and source, they'll improve in an extremely noticeable way? Hmmm looks like my original thoughts were right.

Any other opinions?

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
, they'll improve in an extremely noticeable way? 

Any other opinions?

Heya,

Nothing will improve in an extremely noticeable way. Not to be negative, but don't get your hopes up like it's a truly night & day thing. It's not. We're taking small differences. A headphone that is truly under powered and clipping that sudden receives all the power it needs will be very noticeable, but otherwise, I wouldn't say hardly anything will be so extreme. The T50RP will scale. It will sound a little better with more current and a good synergistic match with a DAC & AMP that simply produce a great harmonic tone with it. It's a dark headphone, so matching it something even darker wouldn't be my choice. Matching it with something bright would be a good potential match, and matching it with something that has virtually no change would probably be ideal. But don't expect it to scale like a paper airplane to a stealth bomber, more like a paper airplane to a colored paper airplane with some designs drawn on kind of scaling.

Very best,

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Heya,

Nothing will improve in an extremely noticeable way. Not to be negative, but don't get your hopes up like it's a truly night & day thing. It's not. We're taking small differences. A headphone that is truly under powered and clipping that sudden receives all the power it needs will be very noticeable, but otherwise, I wouldn't say hardly anything will be so extreme. The T50RP will scale. It will sound a little better with more current and a good synergistic match with a DAC & AMP that simply produce a great harmonic tone with it. It's a dark headphone, so matching it something even darker wouldn't be my choice. Matching it with something bright would be a good potential match, and matching it with something that has virtually no change would probably be ideal. But don't expect it to scale like a paper airplane to a stealth bomber, more like a paper airplane to a colored paper airplane with some designs drawn on kind of scaling.

Very best,

Thanks! I wasn't expecting a night and day change, I meant extremely noticeable in comparison to some other phones. They SHOULD be subtle changes, but I understand that. But its those subtle changes that one is looking for when he upgrades his source/amp. So by noticeable, I meant would the headphones be benefited by higher end equipment upgrading from lower end equipment. Because there are headphones that once you hit a certain point, the upgrades will no longer be heard, other than placebo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back