HM-901
Feb 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #391 of 3,522
Quote:
So let me confirm this, since its not actually the norml for chinesse players,  can the player tag browse its external memory? 

Everything is stored at the SD card ( / external memory) so there is no such thing as internal memory (*there is, but not what you can access. it is for firmware only) anyway. In short, yes. it read tag on external memory, though doesn't always organize / read those tag correctly. Therefore it is important to have music organized correctly in the first place . I am using Media Monkey to manage / sync my music and it does those things automatically.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #393 of 3,522
Quote:

Everything is stored at the SD card ( / external memory) so there is no such thing as internal memory (*there is, but not what you can access. it is for firmware only) anyway. In short, yes. it read tag on external memory, thou100 gh doesn't always organize / read those tag correctly. Therefore it is important to have music organized correctly in the first place . I am using Media Monkey to manage / sync my music and it does those things automatically.

Thats rather nice to hear,  since if i am buying a player with 1k usd tagged on it,  i would expect it to have better ui and at least at the same point as the ipods functionality (e.g tag browsing),  thanks clie,  i will try to save up for either thos or the rwa ak 

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #394 of 3,522
Quote:
ClieOS, what's the battery life of the HM-901?

It seems to hold up to what the spec claims, or at least get pretty close. I haven't really done any battery drain test yet. Will report back once I have.

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #397 of 3,522
8~9 hours, depends on the amp card, load and volume of course.

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #398 of 3,522
Quote:
8~9 hours, depends on the amp card, load and volume of course.

That's not bad. maybe around 6-7 hrs if hires 24/192 files. Cheers for the info on the specs. When you have the time, please do test real usage conditions. I'm sure many will appreciate your effort in that test too.

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #399 of 3,522
I am doing the battery test right now with some 16/44 music, with stock amp card and a 120ohm earbud on volume 3/8. Bitrate shouldn't matter that much as I believe the amp section is where power is most needed. This should at least give us a baseline.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #400 of 3,522
HI ClieOS,

Possible to advise,
1. since the HM-901 relies on external memory, how fast can the player's card slot read? Can they accept class 10?
2. Does the player have to read the external memory each time it is powered on?
3. How fast does it take to read a 64GB card?

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #401 of 3,522
Quote:
1. since the HM-901 relies on external memory, how fast can the player's card slot read? Can they accept class 10?

1. I don't really know as I don't have any Class 10 card to test on. However you should take note that 'classes' on SD card refer to writing speed, not reading speed which is what actually affect the loading speed. I am using a Class 6 card and it doesn't feel particularly slow in reading. Also note that even a Class 4 card should be more than fast enough for full wave (uncompressed) file playback. I do remember reading from erji.net that others has successfully used Class 10 SDXC card on HM901, but it depends on brand as well.

2. It takes slightly longer on first start up to load ( / scan) the library and you can see album being added on-the-fly. You can play those already scanned files without waiting for the scan to be completed. It will rescan the library on subsequent restart as well, but seems to only looking for change. So if you didn't update the SD card, the rescan will only take a few seconds (or tens of second, hard to say as I didn't time it) and you can still select / listen to music while it is scanning on the background.

3.A 64GB will have to be a SDXC card and I don't own any SDXC card for now. Again, reading speed isn't an issue on HM901 as I didn't detect any delay between selecting files and listening to them.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #402 of 3,522
Quote:
ClieOS, what's the battery life of the HM-901?

Quote:

That's not bad. maybe around 6-7 hrs if hires 24/192 files. Cheers for the info on the specs. When you have the time, please do test real usage conditions. I'm sure many will appreciate your effort in that test too.

Quote:
HI ClieOS,

Possible to advise,

I just did a drain test playing 24-192 file with JH16 on a HM-901 with balanced card. It lasted for 7 hours, from full charge and self power-off.

I am using a Kingston 128G UHS-1 Class 10 SDXC, formatted in FAT32, but as ClieOS already pointed out, that speed relates more to writing...

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #405 of 3,522
Quote:
so how does it sound?

It is better than HM801 for sure. It doesn't quite have the same kind of sweet mid range, but otherwise everything is extremely well layered and the soundstage is excellent (*which is something I often find great on Sabre DAC).

Quote:
Anyways, I've visited the main shops in Shanghai and they do not have it yet...wonder when they will release more...

I think they are still trying to fullfill pre-order so it haven't reached brick and mortar store yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back