HM-901
Feb 11, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #361 of 3,522
Quote:
It is only for those who trade-in their HM801 in China, I believe. Of course, some of them sell their HM901 off as soon as they get the the new player (for a profit, I assume) so a very limited number is floating in the Chinese market now.

That's a bummer. I was hoping my non-audiophile friend in China could buy and ship it to me. I'm gathering they are also tracking HM-801 owners? (i.e not as simple as buying a 2nd hand one off then leveraging that as an upgrade path). Guess it's just another month however in Japan at least, the price is somewhat ridiculous.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #362 of 3,522
Quote:

That's a bummer. I was hoping my non-audiophile friend in China could buy and ship it to me. I'm gathering they are also tracking HM-801 owners? (i.e not as simple as buying a 2nd hand one off then leveraging that as an upgrade path). Guess it's just another month however in Japan at least, the price is somewhat ridiculous.

So the unit is good enough you are gonna shoot for it...? Hmm this is interesting... I am considering a Tera Player as well at this time. I'll keep an eye out though on the 901. It's caught my eye once again.... :p

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #363 of 3,522
Quote:
So the unit is good enough you are gonna shoot for it...? Hmm this is interesting... I am considering a Tera Player as well at this time. I'll keep an eye out though on the 901. It's caught my eye once again.... :p

Hmmm...I'm trying not to swap my gear too much but this most recent demo of it has made me interested. I honestly am prepared to eat my words from the earlier thoughts I had from last year's prototype. At least to my ears, I feel the final is a different beast. Having said that, another head-fi member who was with me felt that it hadn't changed that much from last year's Oct prototype - but he was already very satisfied with the Oct model that the final was merely just the added honey on toast. The production model though couldn't read his SD card. I only had microSD from my RWAK100 and didn't bring an adapter.

I wished I asked about battery life 'cos that again was the RWAK100's winning point (balance of SQ, size, longevity).

I don't doubt the Tera Player currently holds the crown for SQ in the portable world, especially after hearing V0's. But I'm also not very happy with me having to adapt my music management and further operation style just for a player. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #364 of 3,522
Quote:

Hmmm...I'm trying not to swap my gear too much but this most recent demo of it has made me interested. I honestly am prepared to eat my words from the earlier thoughts I had from last year's prototype. At least to my ears, I feel the final is a different beast. Having said that, another head-fi member who was with me felt that it hadn't changed that much from last year's Oct prototype - but he was already very satisfied with the Oct model that the final was merely just the added honey on toast. The production model though couldn't read his SD card. I only had microSD from my RWAK100 and didn't bring an adapter.

I wished I asked about battery life 'cos that again was the RWAK100's winning point (balance of SQ, size, longevity).

I don't doubt the Tera Player currently holds the crown for SQ in the portable world, especially after hearing V0's. But I'm also not very happy with me having to adapt my music management and further operation style just for a player. 

Of course you already know the answer to the battery bit. No way it is gonna compete with the RWA AK100 in that regard. But who knows maybe the battery life could be like Hifiman generally boasts (8 to 10 hours). So you got to hear the Tera player? Makes me want to try it out even more now lol. I'll have to demo it before I really commit to a buy though. Nothing is set in stone yet. I'm not exactly sure if upgrading is really necessary at this point. I'm quite happy with my current gear. May just be time to sit back and relax :p.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #365 of 3,522
Quote:

I don't think you need to prove original ownership for the pre-order, but the pre-order has ended anyway so that doesn't really matter.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #366 of 3,522
Quote:
Of course you already know the answer to the battery bit. No way it is gonna compete with the RWA AK100 in that regard. But who knows maybe the battery life could be like Hifiman generally boasts (8 to 10 hours). So you got to hear the Tera player? Makes me want to try it out even more now lol. I'll have to demo it before I really commit to a buy though. Nothing is set in stone yet. I'm not exactly sure if upgrading is really necessary at this point. I'm quite happy with my current gear. May just be time to sit back and relax :p.

you ok with the tera player not having a screen? i crossed the tera player out of my may-get-dap list once i knew it didnt have a screen. of course i have my dx100 now 
tongue.gif
 and not thinking about getting any new dap. btw, you still waiting for your heir audio 8A? 

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #367 of 3,522
Quote:

you ok with the tera player not having a screen? i crossed the tera player out of my may-get-dap list once i knew it didnt have a screen. of course i have my dx100 now 
tongue.gif
 and not thinking about getting any new dap. btw, you still waiting for your heir audio 8A? 

Well I'm still keeping an open mind on the Tera Player. It's more so the set it and forget it type DAP. But I need to spend some time with it before I can determine if its pros out-weights its cons... So we'll see :). For now I'm content with what I have but I'm still keeping an open eye out :p.

Nope haven't gotten my 8As yet. They are in Customs right now in San Fransisco so hopefully by sometime next this week....

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #368 of 3,522
Quote:
Well I'm still keeping an open mind on the Tera Player. It's more so the set it and forget it type DAP. But I need to spend some time with it before I can determine if its pros out-weights its cons... So we'll see :). For now I'm content with what I have but I'm still keeping an open eye out :p.

Nope haven't gotten my 8As yet. They are in Customs right now in San Fransisco so hopefully by sometime next this week....

i will be so impatient if i were you... lol

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #371 of 3,522
rockbox is simply the best UI you could possible want!~ I should have tried the rockbox on 801 before send them back.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #374 of 3,522

There are several short initial impression posts on HiFiMAN forum of erji.net,    google translate might help:
http://erji.net/thread.php?fid=147

The fact it incorporates TWO ESS 9018 chips is amazing / crazy.
The comments from the CEO of HiFiMAN of why using 2x 9018  (http://erji.net/read.php?tid=1300699):
"by using 1x 9018 and tweaking 5 different Low Pass Filter designs, we achieved the sound similar to Meridian 588"
"but comparing to our reference equipment combo: Accuphase DP100 + Pacific Microsonics Dac, we are not satisfied by 1x 9018."
"In the end they used 2x 9018 for each channel,  and using 2x OPA2107 and 2x OPA627 as low pass filter."

I have owned several 9018 based DACs, MiniMax, Anedio D1, D2.  They share similar sound signature, true hifi sound.  But for people who are spoiled by 801's very musical sound signature, they may not appreciate 901 immediately.

Quote:
Anybody heard or read any reports about the 901 SQ from the initial owners yet?

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #375 of 3,522
The same aesthetic (or lack of) as their older models. Though as long as it sounds good, I couldn't care what it looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back