HM-901
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #346 of 3,522
Quote:

is this hypothesis applicable to HM-601/2 as well, ClieOS?

The amp section on HM601 / 602 are similar in topology (same root from HM801's amp card) and different in opamp, so I'll say it is very likely they have the same output resistor and can be bypassed to lower output impedance.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #347 of 3,522
Quote:
I gathered this from multiple owners of both units. I've owned the 601 before which also was a no contest. I never opted for the 801 due to the rediculous output impedance, slug-like UI, bulky size, and cheap plastic feel. The 901 will continue this trend as the stock version will not be compatible with sensitive IEMs. That is a shame for a $999.99

So, when someone asked you if you had owned or heard the 801, you said the above.  Wow, that's a lot of words to say 'no'.  

Then you go on to make specific, somewhat nasty criticisms that strongly suggest that you've had one in your hands, otherwise I'm not sure how you would come to those conclusions.  Then you go on to comment on the 901, which I assume you have never had in your hands either.  

I have no problem with people stating their aesthetic preferences and opinions, but I think your comments are mean-spirited, whether you intended them to be or not.  Actions, including posts, have consequences, and I think  that people should consider the effect that their posts can have before making them.  Not to single Lee730 out for this - but there is a tendency here to simply repeat stuff other people have said, as if it is their experience as well, either positive or negative.  People make financial decisions based on what's posted oh Head-Fi - there is something real at stake here - please be mindful of that when you comment on products here.  I'm not saying that no negative comments/opinions should be offered, but that they be based on one's own personal experience, and phrased in an appropriate way.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #349 of 3,522
So, when someone asked you if you had owned or heard the 801, you said the above.  Wow, that's a lot of words to say 'no'.  

Then you go on to make specific, somewhat nasty criticisms that strongly suggest that you've had one in your hands, otherwise I'm not sure how you would come to those conclusions.  Then you go on to comment on the 901, which I assume you have never had in your hands either.  

I have no problem with people stating their aesthetic preferences and opinions, but I think your comments are mean-spirited, whether you intended them to be or not.  Actions, including posts, have consequences, and I think  that people should consider the effect that their posts can have before making them.  Not to single Lee730 out for this - but there is a tendency here to simply repeat stuff other people have said, as if it is their experience as well, either positive or negative.  People make financial decisions based on what's posted oh Head-Fi - there is something real at stake here - please be mindful of that when you comment on products here.  I'm not saying that no negative comments/opinions should be offered, but that they be based on one's own personal experience, and phrased in an appropriate way.

So true, so true..The golden rule is do not offer an opinion on equipment you have not personally heard and as to quality of fit and finish, handled in real life.

To take that a step further I tend to ignore those who listen for a few minutes or hours then comment in the negative and go on to pontificate they have heard everything.. They have not!

In my experience one needs at least a few days with an item to come to proper conclusions about said item.

An example of responsible reviewing here is one member here got a chance to hear an amp I own at a show recently. He experienced distortion issues with the amp but instead of doing what many do here and post a thread knocking the item and thus forever more having that up for all to see he messaged me to ask if I had experienced similar distortion.. I had not, I contacted the maker and between us the answer it seems has been found and it is in all probability a simple mis match of headphone and amp.

Even if not this fellow headfier has the good common sense to know things can happen at shows so is reserving judgement until he can get hold of a demo unit for longer listening.

Now I had no personal contact previously with him before but you cand be sure as heck that I will take his thoughts on equipment far more seriously now has he has showed through his actions that he wants to give accurate reviews... I wishes here were more like him here!

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #350 of 3,522
For a review i would hope that user has had some time but for observations or personal opinions minutes to hours is fine, regurgitating posts from other users isn't.  I can usually tell pretty quickly if i am going to like a sound signature and how things measure up, especially if i have something i am familiar with that i can go back an forth with.  

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #351 of 3,522
Quote:
For a review i would hope that user has had some time but for observations or personal opinions minutes to hours is fine, regurgitating posts from other users isn't.  I can usually tell pretty quickly if i am going to like a sound signature and how things measure up, especially if i have something i am familiar with that i can go back an forth with.  

I would agree with you that once you are familiar with your own taste and preferences, given a sufficient range of listening experiences, you can tell somewhat quickly whether you'll probably like something or not.  That's very different from posting comments on Head-Fi for others to read.  Granted, there is shared responsibility between advisor and advicee, but it's still important to have a strong basis for posting evaluative comments here.  

The first bite can taste good, the aftertaste sometimes, not so much.  Some things take a while to figure out, using a range of recordings, and components.  Quickies don't have that advantage

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #352 of 3,522
Well i can say this, i loved the HM-801 from the offset and if i end up with a 901 i am fairly certain that it will also live up to my expectations.  If headamp is indeed working on an amp card that is even better.  My current purchase that i am waiting on is the Headamp Pico Power, which for the time being will probably be matched with the HM-801 out of the line-out plug, and eventually with the HM-901.  I do want to audition the DX100 if i can find one at a meet and especially if the 901 is out to do a comparison, but that will probably be hard to pull off in the near future.  Hope that the 901 has a bit of a better user interface than the 801 though......that's it's only drawback for me, although not that high a price to pay for the sound.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #353 of 3,522
I had about an hour with the 901 pre-production sample.  The amp cards are much easier to swap out than those for the 801.  The UI is similar, but uses a scroll-wheel.  It was intuitive, I was able to figure it out without any help or manual.

My listening is usually to albums - whether LP or CD, so all I need is to be able to find the folder and play the tracks in the correct order - album art is nice, but not vital.   PM me if you want my take on the sound - given the short time i had with it. (Fang actually would have walked out without it, but without the proprietary charge cable, it didn't make much sense to keep it - so I reminded him - that's morality in action!!!!  
devil_face.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #354 of 3,522
Yeah, on the HM-801 my amp card pops out occasionally if it gets jostled.  If there is no sound i know to open it up and try to get it to snap back in place.  I have a game card and then just use external amp for mid/full sized portables.  

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #357 of 3,522
Quote:
Hope that the 901 has a bit of a better user interface than the 801 though......that's it's only drawback for me, although not that high a price to pay for the sound.

I hope you know that Rockbox has probably the worlds best UI for the 801.

I just wish it (might) work for the 901, too. That would be a real game changer as far as which DAP has the best UI.

See: http://build.rockbox.org/

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #358 of 3,522
Quote:
We‘ve removed resisters from HM-901 amp module and re-adjusted the gain setup to make sure you guys will be happy when it is available in the future a few weeks. 

Fang

So I take that means low output impedance on the stock units? If so excellent job Fang! :)

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #359 of 3,522
Hi all,

I understand that the HM-901 is not available outside China yet but it's available to folks there. What I'm seeking clarification is, is it offered only to HM-80x owners in China to trade up, or is it for sale to non-HM-80x owners too?

I've had a listen to the HM-901's production run in a recent event in Tokyo and at least to my memory, it's a different beast from the earlier prototypes I heard.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #360 of 3,522
Quote:

I hope you know that Rockbox has probably the worlds best UI for the 801.

I just wish it (might) work for the 901, too. That would be a real game changer as far as which DAP has the best UI.

See: http://build.rockbox.org/

HM901 uses a different SoC than HM801, so RockBox is likely not possible until a RB developer port it over. However, the chip in HM901 is much less common so I don't expect it to be as easy as HM801 (which took a while to begin with).

Quote:
Hi all,

I understand that the HM-901 is not available outside China yet but it's available to folks there. What I'm seeking clarification is, is it offered only to HM-80x owners in China to trade up, or is it for sale to non-HM-80x owners too?

I've had a listen to the HM-901's production run in a recent event in Tokyo and at least to my memory, it's a different beast from the earlier prototypes I heard.

It is only for those who trade-in their HM801 in China, I believe. Of course, some of them sell their HM901 off as soon as they get the the new player (for a profit, I assume) so a very limited number is floating in the Chinese market now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back