High-end headphones for mixing and mastering?
May 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

gomincha

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I want a set of headphones as flat, realistic, accurate and detailed as possible for mixing and mastering applications.
I was thinking something in the lines of HD800, T1, LCD2, SR-007 and 4070.
Any suggestions?

May 24, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 31
A few thoughts--

I'd master to near field monitors rather than headphones, if that's an option.  Something like a Genelec will serve you better based on what others will hear rather than a detailed set of cans.

But we live in a mobile world and I've had to bang projects out on the laptop myself, so I understand.  So if near field isn't an option, I'd choose something really flat, like the Ultimate Ears IERMs (I've mixed on these), or an AKG over the ear headphone instead of something that's beautifully colored like an LCD-2, Grado, HD 800 or the like.  You'll get a better overall mix that will sound good in any variety of playback situations.  Does that make sense?  It will save you money, too.

May 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 31
These cans (OP mentioned) need really good setup to sound there best but i will recommend the Grado PS1000, T1 for there soundquality and revealing hidden details.

May 24, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 31
A considerable amount of mixing has been done on the cheap but reliable Fostex T20. I would second however that near-field, active monitoring is a more pervasive setup these days.

May 24, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:
I'd master to near field monitors rather than headphones, if that's an option.  Something like a Genelec will serve you better based on what others will hear rather than a detailed set of cans.

I agree with the above statement.  If you need to do it with headphones, I'd go with the HD800, paired with a Benchmark DAC1 or Lavry DA11, and an SPL Phonitor.

May 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 31
I would think that the HD800 with its almost artificial soundstage width wasn't ideal for mixing. Nor open back phones, for that matter. Am I talking out of my rear end?

Edit: should have added "Phonitor notwithstanding", as it can reign in the width to a degree.

Quote:

I agree with the above statement.  If you need to do it with headphones, I'd go with the HD800, paired with a Benchmark DAC1 or Lavry DA11, and an SPL Phonitor.

May 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 31
OP, I have been mastering and restoring music for over 12 years now.

I would highly recommend you mix and master on monitors first. Double check on monitors and triple check on headphones.

A fantastic entry level mastering grade headphone I would recommend would be the Senn HD600 or Fischer Audio FA-003. Those are the cheapest options I would recommend and the ones that will give you the most bang for the buck. Your chain will matter too!  I would suggest a Benchmark DAC1 for amp/dac headphone or an objective 2/ODAC for a more affordable solution which is just as good, although I have yet to hear my ODAC but it supposedly measures better than the Benchmark.

If you want better, more expensive options, then I would recommend you look into the HE-500/HE-6 or Stax SR-007/SR-0009. Be prepared to spend a hefty sum on those headphones as well as supporting gear.

The best and most affordable solution, and one I use often, is a custom IEM. The UERM is excellent for mastering work and is extremely accurate and doesn't really require a huge amount of money for supporting gear.

If you have any other questions or just want to talk shop, then feel free to PM me.

May 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 31
If you listen to LFF your mixes might wind up sounding good.  Not recommended. 

Quincy likes to mix with the Q701 worn backwards. 

And Dr Dre likes to use Beats

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:
If you listen to LFF your mixes might wind up sounding good.  Not recommended. 

I got a bit lost with that lost comment since so much has been talked about above. What is "not recommended" specifically? IEMs? HD800? Monitoring with headphones as a rule? I'm shopping for good "flat" headphones so I am curious for my own education...

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

I got a bit lost with that lost comment since so much has been talked about above. What is "not recommended" specifically? IEMs? HD800? Monitoring with headphones as a rule? I'm shopping for good "flat" headphones so I am curious for my own education...

Lol RhythmDevils was making a joke, sicne most mixes sound like garbage, it would be against the norm to have ones that do sound good.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 31
Jul 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 31
Not sure,if this is meant for mastering???

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #13 of 31
well you can make a personal calibration at AIX studios - or any other studio you can rent or get access for ~1/2 hr with your Realizer setup

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #14 of 31
 I use the Stax 40 70 headphone monitors for my musical production work.  Try them out.

May 1, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #15 of 31
  OP, I have been mastering and restoring music for over 12 years now.

I would highly recommend you mix and master on monitors first. Double check on monitors and triple check on headphones.

A fantastic entry level mastering grade headphone I would recommend would be the Senn HD600 or Fischer Audio FA-003. Those are the cheapest options I would recommend and the ones that will give you the most bang for the buck. Your chain will matter too!  I would suggest a Benchmark DAC1 for amp/dac headphone or an objective 2/ODAC for a more affordable solution which is just as good, although I have yet to hear my ODAC but it supposedly measures better than the Benchmark.

If you want better, more expensive options, then I would recommend you look into the HE-500/HE-6 or Stax SR-007/SR-0009. Be prepared to spend a hefty sum on those headphones as well as supporting gear.

The best and most affordable solution, and one I use often, is a custom IEM. The UERM is excellent for mastering work and is extremely accurate and doesn't really require a huge amount of money for supporting gear.

If you have any other questions or just want to talk shop, then feel free to PM me

hello,
I want to set up a professional carriable  studio. I couldn't have a fixed room for my arranging and mixing.(my genre is classical, house, pop, slow rock)
what do you recommend?
you someone says its impossible to produce professionally on headphones , someone says do it on a semiopen-backed headphone like DT880 pro with Creative Omni 5.1 surround soundcard for your laptop,in this way you can even mix in 5.1 by headphone!
someone says you need amp and external soundcard.Others say do it on a closed-back headphone, you can also use them for longtime mixing.
now you say UERM could be a good choice.
Im really confused!
what should I do?
thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back