High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
Sep 19, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #796 of 903

You are comparing different technologies to justify that one driver is better? For a fair comparison, you should compare them against the same technology except one having more drivers. I've heard some terrible single driver dynamic full sized headphones as well so you can't just say it is better.

I'v heard the majority of the headphones out there and a lot of iem's. I've heard some great multi driver iem's that beats every single driver iem I have ever heard. I've also heard some terrible multi driver one's where a decent single driver would be better. Unless things have changed in the last 2-3 years where I stopped paying attention to iem's single driver BA do have some limitations which is where mutli driver BA iem's come in place. Dynamic iem's are of course a different technology and typically do not have more than 1 driver with a few exceptions. More drivers is not hype however it is not automatically better either. 

Outside of a few full sized headphones, there really isn't that many that are more than one driver so I don't consider that a comparison with full sized and multi drivers. 

If the number of drivers would improve sound quality, studio (reference) monitors would all be stuffed with a high amount of drivers, yet they are usually only 2-way to 3-way solutions. 

Also, if the number of drivers improve sound quality, then flagship full sized headphones would all use multiple drivers. (there exist multiple driver full sized headphones) Yet, you don't see it.

You missed my comparison between speakers? And I only used high-end systems, not cheap $10 device compared to a $10.000 audio device because that isn't fair. 

I have alot of respect for JH Audio, able to stuff 24 drivers in an IEM, but that's not the way to go in my opinion. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #798 of 903
My own experience tells me this: It is the tuning not x-over or number of BAs.. Tuning makes the monitor perfect, call it a c/iem or headphone or speaker.. It is the tuning guys.

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #800 of 903
With 1-2 BA's I was referring to the Final Audio iems that are regarded pretty high, although I've never tried them. I also read that studio monitor iems go up to $30.000 I believe and often use 2-3 BA designs.

But in the top of the audiophile market there are a lot of 10 BA+ designs that are regarded very high such as the Adel A12, K10, Layla, Mentor and I'm gonna include the Solar
wink.gif

Are you happy with the Mason, and have you ever compared it with the Mentor?

I owned the Mentor and the Mason. I sold the Mentor. The Mentor is a very fine iem, one of the best I've owned or heard. The Mason is the Mentor on steroids. There is a strong family resemblance although the Mentor is overall warmer. The Mason is more extended at the extremes and produces a holographic sound stage. Where the Mentor is lush in the mids the Mason is utterly transparent to the source. I guess it would be fair to say that the Mason strongest point is it's clarity. The Mentor is a wonderful iem tuned more in the direction of  TG334.  I listen almost exclusively to classical music so the Mason was a winner for me. It does a fantastic job with classical music. 

Having  said all that, I can still see how some would compare the two and prefer the Mentor. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #802 of 903
Great comparison, most informative one so far. Seams like the Mentor might suit me better. Would you say it is better for rock/pop/edm that kind of music?

I think that for studio mix recordings that have no real acoustic environment, the Mentor might be the better choice. The Mason is  very revealing earphone in the sense that the HD800 is (although there are similarities I am not trying to make a direct comparison). If you are a fan of the HD800 over the LCD 3 or Hifiman kind of sound, then the Mason is your choice.

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #804 of 903
Has the Stagediver SD4 been mentioned here?
Living in Korea atm so I have no idea where to try one and one of my friends who managed to try it prefers it to the K10.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #805 of 903
  Has the Stagediver SD4 been mentioned here?
Living in Korea atm so I have no idea where to try one and one of my friends who managed to try it prefers it to the K10.

Interesting!
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the SD2 for some time and really liked it. Great fit for a universal and also sq that performed above it's price tag.

In EU the SD4 can be ordered for ''only'' €655
http://www.thomann.de/gb/inear_stagediver_sd_4.htm
don't know about Korea though...

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #806 of 903
  Interesting!
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the SD2 for some time and really liked it. Great fit for a universal and also sq that performed above it's price tag.

In EU the SD4 can be ordered for ''only'' €655
http://www.thomann.de/gb/inear_stagediver_sd_4.htm
don't know about Korea though...

It's about $940 and ordering from Germany is about the same because of tax + currency + shipping. :s

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #807 of 903
This review also just made me curious about it
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/759771/review-putting-the-fun-in-pro-audio-the-inear-stagediver-sd-4

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #808 of 903
  This review also just made me curious about it
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/759771/review-putting-the-fun-in-pro-audio-the-inear-stagediver-sd-4

+1 
Also, I'm waiting for the IE900 although it would take a while for the price to go down like it did with the IE800 once it releases.

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #809 of 903
  in Philippines, ear impressions cost PHP 350 (USD 8) per pair at hearing aid center. 

I live in Korea and I'm about to get my first pair of CIEM. So I need my impressions done. I'm not sure how much it costs over here (shouldn't be that much) but it's good to know that I can have it done in the Philippines! I go there every year since I have family there. So what is the name of the place and can you tell me where it is? I would appreciate the help. thanks

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #810 of 903
  I live in Korea and I'm about to get my first pair of CIEM. So I need my impressions done. I'm not sure how much it costs over here (shouldn't be that much) but it's good to know that I can have it done in the Philippines! I go there every year since I have family there. So what is the name of the place and can you tell me where it is? I would appreciate the help. thanks

Where are you getting your CIEM from in Korea? Most distributors, like Sound Cat offer free impressions if you order a CIEM through them. An audiologist visit would cost under $30 from my experience in Korea. I got mine done for free by Hidition(based near Seoul University). But it's really not that expensive in Korea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back