High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
Sep 18, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #782 of 903

I guess I'm just not convinced beyond maybe 3-4 drivers, in terms of technical necessity. 

More drivers needs more crossovers hence it degrades overall sound quality. 

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #785 of 903
Out of all the multi driver high end speakers setups with dual amplifiers cost 10k each (40.000+ dollar setups) and mutlti driver IEM's, a single driver Sennheiser HD800 beats them.

I have also heard plenty of 3 way reference monitors being superior to much more expensive 7 way speakers.

So the more drivers is just hype. Crossovers do impact the sound by the way.

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #786 of 903
  My review of the 10BA, 5-way crossover Rhapsodio Solar:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/rhapsodio-10ba/reviews/14023

The Solar is a great totl iem indeed....

Prefering it over my 1p2 and V6 Stage atm
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully I can also try it against the K10 and/or UM Mentor in the future...

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #787 of 903
There are three reviews on the savant posted on head fi and that topic is covered in the reviews.
Take a peek
smily_headphones1.gif

Would love to hear the Savant also sometimes, especially the Pablo Prestige one that's in the contest right now
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, even how hard I tried, I just couldn't find (using Bing) a password protected video providing me that BMW's kilometers
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #788 of 903
This is going to sound crazy, but could it possibly be that there are great iems using only 1-3 BA drivers and a simple crossover system, as well as more complicated designs with a lot of BA's and more crossovers? Or does it have to be one or the other.

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #789 of 903

HUM audio's Pristine has only 2 drivers but uses some high quality crossover network that allows it to perform at TOTL level. At least the one I tried.

Out of all the multi driver high end speakers setups with dual amplifiers cost 10k each (40.000+ dollar setups) and mutlti driver IEM's, a single driver Sennheiser HD800 beats them.

I have also heard plenty of 3 way reference monitors being superior to much more expensive 7 way speakers.

Yea depending on how well implemented the crossover is, it will sound a certain way.

And the HD800 aren't full sized speakers. They are headphones. Compare them to headphones. That would be a more fair fight. If u prefer the presentation of HD800s to that of hifi, well then that's a matter of personal preference?

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #791 of 903
Would love to hear the Savant also sometimes, especially the Pablo Prestige one that's in the contest right now :D

Unfortunately, even how hard I tried, I just couldn't find (using Bing) a password protected video providing me that BMW's kilometers :wink:
the Savant contest prize is a universal fit Wizard designed one $800ish with Pablo red/plum faceplate, not a custom Prestige of it though $1600ish. :D

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #792 of 903
the Savant contest prize is a universal fit Wizard designed one $800ish with Pablo red/plum faceplate, not a custom Prestige of it though $1600ish. :D

No need to join the game, i'm going to win anyway ! :)

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #793 of 903

You are comparing different technologies to justify that one driver is better? For a fair comparison, you should compare them against the same technology except one having more drivers. I've heard some terrible single driver dynamic full sized headphones as well so you can't just say it is better.

I'v heard the majority of the headphones out there and a lot of iem's. I've heard some great multi driver iem's that beats every single driver iem I have ever heard. I've also heard some terrible multi driver one's where a decent single driver would be better. Unless things have changed in the last 2-3 years where I stopped paying attention to iem's single driver BA do have some limitations which is where mutli driver BA iem's come in place. Dynamic iem's are of course a different technology and typically do not have more than 1 driver with a few exceptions. More drivers is not hype however it is not automatically better either. 

Outside of a few full sized headphones, there really isn't that many that are more than one driver so I don't consider that a comparison with full sized and multi drivers. 

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #794 of 903

I don't know about iem's with 1 driver, but I own iem's with 2 drivers (Parterre) and iem's with 12 drivers (UM Mason) and some with 4 drivers including the 846. I have come to the conclusion that the number of drivers in itself does not automatically mean better. Some of the most highly regarded iem's have only 4 drivers. I think it is all in the parts quality and the implementation of the design. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #795 of 903
With 1-2 BA's I was referring to the Final Audio iems that are regarded pretty high, although I've never tried them. I also read that studio monitor iems go up to $30.000 I believe and often use 2-3 BA designs.

But in the top of the audiophile market there are a lot of 10 BA+ designs that are regarded very high such as the Adel A12, K10, Layla, Mentor and I'm gonna include the Solar :wink:

Are you happy with the Mason, and have you ever compared it with the Mentor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back