High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
Mar 13, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #752 of 903
Erm afaik acupass is a technology just like TWFK in which 2 drivers are bonded as one unit. Twfk also has many variations in terms of what FR each driver covers so I'm not surprised if Acupass has such variations too :)

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #753 of 903
  FitEar parterre uses it too! And so does InEar SD2

Erm afaik acupass is a technology just like TWFK in which 2 drivers are bonded as one unit. Twfk also has many variations in terms of what FR each driver covers so I'm not surprised if Acupass has such variations too
smily_headphones1.gif

These statements are incorrect.

The InEar SD2 uses the Knowles GQ-30783. It is not 100% confirmed that the Parterre uses the 1723, though it's basically true. We have high suspicions that the fitear also uses the 1723 but tuned in a different manner.

As of right now, there aren't too many variations of AcuPass. There is the 1723WT02, which was used in the BA200. There is the 1723WT03 and 1723WT03/9, which are just non-vented and vented variants, respectively, of the same driver assembly. The only real difference is in the bass response.

There are other "AcuPass" variations coming, made from different driver sets apart from the 2300 and 1700, but they have not yet been announced.

In AcuPass, the two drivers are not bonded together. They are held together by a plate. The way the two drivers interact with each other is different from the way the WBFK portion and FK portion of the TWFK interact with other another.

Isn't the purpose of Acupass to create an acoustic cut off for bass, just like SE846's true woofers? If so, why do they use it for mid/high drivers?

Yes, but the SE846's acoustic low pass is far more advanced. With each "angle change" in the SE846 low pass, the cutoff gets steeper and steeper, whereas the AcuPass' low pass is just one long thin straight path with a mini-damper applied. With AcuPass, there is still treble resonance that exists within the system, just far less than typical.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #754 of 903

The InEar SD2 uses the Knowles GQ-30783. It is not 100% confirmed that the Parterre uses the 1723, though it's basically true. We have high suspicions that the fitear also uses the 1723 but tuned in a different manner.

As of right now, there aren't too many variations of AcuPass. There is the 1723WT02, which was used in the BA200. There is the 1723WT03 and 1723WT03/9, which are just non-vented and vented variants, respectively, of the same driver assembly. The only real difference is in the bass response.

There are other "AcuPass" variations coming, made from different driver sets apart from the 2300 and 1700, but they have not yet been announced.

In AcuPass, the two drivers are not bonded together. They are held together by a plate. The way the two drivers interact with each other is different from the way the WBFK portion and FK portion of the TWFK interact with other another.

Oic thanks for clearing that up! :)

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #755 of 903

Yes, but the SE846's acoustic low pass is far more advanced. With each "angle change" in the SE846 low pass, the cutoff gets steeper and steeper, whereas the AcuPass' low pass is just one long thin straight path with a mini-damper applied. With AcuPass, there is still treble resonance that exists within the system, just far less than typical.

Huh. Thanks for clarification. So AcuPass isn't quite there when it comes to totally cutting off upper frequency. I guess Sonion is still getting there.

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #756 of 903
If I'm not mistaking the principle the SE846 uses for its low frequencies is called transmission line and it's pretty cool to see this type of bass extension method that originally comes from loudspeakers being built into such a small piece of technology.

May 20, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #757 of 903
I'm planning to get an ultra portable setup that I can stuff into my pocket (DAP+IEM). As for IEM, I'm planning to get either JH Angie or Noble K10.

I'm a bit torn on the DAP. Stuffing extra stuff will make my pocket bulge. If I get something like DX90 or AK100ii, how much of an improvement will I get from just plugging the IEM into LG G3? This DAP is solely for IEM, not for full size headphone.

May 20, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #758 of 903
I'm planning to get an ultra portable setup that I can stuff into my pocket (DAP+IEM). As for IEM, I'm planning to get either JH Angie or Noble K10.

I'm a bit torn on the DAP. Stuffing extra stuff will make my pocket bulge. If I get something like DX90 or AK100ii, how much of an improvement will I get from just plugging the IEM into LG G3? This DAP is solely for IEM, not for full size headphone.

If you want sth ultra portable with unbelievable sound and don't mind having no screen go for the Alien shozy.
Other great portable pockatable solutions :
Sony ZX1 or 2
Ak 100mk2 or ak12O....

May 20, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #759 of 903

AK100II over mk2 is my verdict, and ZX2 over ZX1. AK Jr. seems like a good pocketable option as well. DX90 is beautiful as well.

First, you will notice less noise. Ultra quite and black back ground. More subtle noise(due to less back ground noise and higher SNR), clearer sound(lower THD), and a sense that you're an audiophile :p Bass will tighten up a little too.

Besides that, not much. I used to use my G3 as my main DAP all the time with my UERM. It's an upgrade, but not the biggest one. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #760 of 903
IK many of you like carrying bricks around, but if you like a DAP with a smaller footprint, and don't have 1.2k to spare on ZX2, try the A&K Jr. No. It doesn't amplify like brick sized players(X5), but it's surely better than other small DAPs like the A17. Overall, I have a very good result with Z5 and UERM.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #761 of 903
Brick sized player? X5? You kidding right?

Brick sized player is HM901/802 or Lotoo PAW Gold or DX100. X5 is perfectly fine with use in jeans pocket or something. If you wanna say something, you can say it is a tad heavy but it is definitely not a brick sized player.

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #762 of 903
  Brick sized player? X5? You kidding right?

Brick sized player is HM901/802 or Lotoo PAW Gold or DX100. X5 is perfectly fine with use in jeans pocket or something. If you wanna say something, you can say it is a tad heavy but it is definitely not a brick sized player.

:p it was a bit of a hyperbole. None of the players are really brick sized. But compared to AK Jr, X5 is huge.

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #763 of 903
Ooh, just found this thread.

X5 and Angie.

Just added the new ALO Rx IEM amp.

Great combo!

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #765 of 903
How is the Angie? I heard mixed impressions of them.

I think it's a great earphone. Demo'd SE846, Noble 6, W60 and bought the Angie. I left some impressions in the JH Angie thread. LINK

I guess it depends where your coming from. Most of my gear is over ear so to hear a similar presentation with more cohesion and detail from the Angie leaves me impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back