High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
Nov 27, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #677 of 903
Hi there, considering to go with some black friday sale for another CIEMs as addition to my UERM and Hidition NT-6 .. I'm looking for 'reference' analytical and revealing sound. They will be used for a studio production  - so no unwanted musical feelings, no early roll-offs. Flat response is main requirement, but the clarity is wanted and also low frequencies has to be fully reproduced and present when the song/source calls for it.
Any ideas? :) I'm looking into Rooth LS8/LS8+, 1964 Ears V6/V6S, JH Audio JH13/JH16, Vision Ears VE6, Noble 4C/K10 maybe? .. Anyone who can compare some of these (or another not listed) to UERM or NT-6 and confirm closest sound signature match?

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #678 of 903
Hi there, considering to go with some black friday sale for another CIEMs as addition to my UERM and Hidition NT-6 .. I'm looking for 'reference' analytical and revealing sound. They will be used for a studio production  - so no unwanted musical feelings, no early roll-offs. Flat response is main requirement, but the clarity is wanted and also low frequencies has to be fully reproduced and present when the song/source calls for it.
Any ideas? :) I'm looking into Rooth LS8/LS8+, 1964 Ears V6/V6S, JH Audio JH13/JH16, Vision Ears VE6, Noble 4C/K10 maybe? .. Anyone who can compare some of these (or another not listed) to UERM or NT-6 and confirm closest sound signature match?

+1 This is exactly what im looking for as well

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #679 of 903
Here is a great review between UERM and Noble 4. Neither is my type of sound signature, but interesting read none the less.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/739512/in-depth-comparison-ultimate-ears-in-ear-reference-monitor-noble-audio-4c-wizard-design/30#post_11071349

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #680 of 903

JH13FP, 4C, 8C, and 1964-V6 are probably your best bets. The others either have too much thickness or too much sparkle. The JH13FP is your safest choice.

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #681 of 903

SE846 has more bass than SD-2 (quantity wise).
If you are interested see graph below

Hey thanks for this! I am still bad at reading graphs and really grasping what reviewers like Tyll mean when they talk about freq segments etc and how bass dumps or treble spikes at certains freqs impact the SQ. Could you link me a good intro article for a non-engineer? amazing , thanks again. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #682 of 903

Could you link me a good intro article for a non-engineer? amazing , thanks again. 

Unfortunately I don't know any.

What you see here basic frequency response graph uncompensated - meaning that's just raw measurement of frequency.
Typical cues to look for: (all in relation to 1kHz)
Bass (0-250Hz)
-3-5dB - fast/super-accurate, very flat
0db - flat
+3dB - slightly warm, natural
+3-6dB - warmish, natural
+6-10dB and more - bass heavy
Upper mids/lower highs (1,5-3,5Khz)
-3dB - dark, cloudy
0dB - cloudy
+5dB - smoothed out, warmish
+10-12dB - natural, energetic, vivid
Highs
5-7kHz range = sibilance region, but sibilance is more related to CSD rather than normal graph, so it's not so easy to judge
10kHz = presence region - peaks here are typically responsible for clean sound, clarity, separation, resolution
10kHz+ region typically only gives you an idea how far highs extend

Hope this helps you a bit.

[Edit] in case of SD-2 its bass is not very flat though. It sounds very natural to my ears. Sometimes simple graphs can show you only small part of how the IEM sounds, much more tells CSD graph.

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #684 of 903
Comply ruin the rest of the sound while reducing the sibilance, not worth at all IMO.
For you maybe, personally I love the my 1Plus2's with Comply's.

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #685 of 903
I have never heard the 1p2 myself but have the ref1.
For me I love it.
With silicone tips I seldom have any sibilance issues, if I do is usually due to crap recordings.

The bass is exaggerated, but enjoyable. The details are there in abundance and the stage is very good for an iem.

I think they would door what the op is after but at a premium.

Other alternatives from what I have read would be the asg 2.5.
I had the 1.3 and hated it beyond forgiveness. But apparently the 2.5 is much better. Again this is only from reading as I have never heard them myself.

I also really liked the JVC fx850.
Though I found it to be more genre specific for my tastes. Amazing with unplugged music, but with metal and heavy rock it made me want to go fetal.

Another option would be the ie800 if you like stage and bass. Airy. But if you need isolation forget about those. In fact forget about the JVC too

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #687 of 903
From my point of view NT6 is the best you can do apart from maybe Legend or H8P that I have not heard. So anything more might disapoint. Or maybe SE5, just as much detail and trebble extension, quite flat but a little warmer than NT6.

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #688 of 903
I am not sure H8P can be a flat studio monitor, I am having hard time seeing it like this. Yes the technical capabilities of the ciem is awesome but it is quite colored especially on midrange and treble (to my ears with not so perfect fit). I agree with Mim on NT6. If you want studio monitor, a reference sound, NT6 would my first choice. If you don't mind a little warmer and more organic presentation while keeping the balanced signature SE5way can be also good but for studio monitoring, I would still put NT6 over SE5way.

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #690 of 903
Since he already has NT6, and wants neutral, I suggest VE6XC (if your wallet is a bottomless pit )

K10 is very very very very good but not neutral. Pretty coloured IMO. But it somehow is able to get things (e.g. bass) right and not overpowering but just enough when called for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back