High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
Nov 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #646 of 903

The Meizu MX4 Pro might be the new SQ king of smartphones: http://www.meizu.com/en/products/mx4prohifi.html (the other more relevant smartphone specs seem to one-up the G3's as well) But goodness, they decided to use the horrible, horrible (absolutely illogical) marketing term "Retina Sound".

I don't need another phone but holy mother of god, that are some awesome specs! It would be fun if they offered it in tablet size or simply as player w/o phone.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #647 of 903

The Meizu MX4 Pro might be the new SQ king of smartphones: http://www.meizu.com/en/products/mx4prohifi.html (the other more relevant smartphone specs seem to one-up the G3's as well) But goodness, they decided to use the horrible, horrible (absolutely illogical) marketing term "Retina Sound".

I've just heard about them. I do tend to prefer phones from major makers(like samsung, LG, apple, motorola...), as the hardware isn't everything. Even when I shifted from GS3 to G3, I noticed that even with better specs, the UI is slower on the G3. Software and hardware tuning is about everything IMO. While specs to matter, specs shouldn't be the only thing you look at when you are buying a phone.

On the bright side, the audio chips in MX4 seems amazing. I just hope they optimize the hardware well.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #648 of 903
   I don't need another phone but holy mother of god, that are some awesome specs! It would be fun if they offered it in tablet size or simply as player w/o phone.

Yes. If they offered just the DAP part (perhaps with a lower resolution screen and a basic Android interface), it'd probably sell quite well. Meizu was apparently one of the first DAP makers in China, and they're supposedly returning to their roots with this phone. Perhaps they'll make their own iPod Touch to the iPhone; if you watch their keynote, they practically copy everything about Apple keynote presentations. The audio stuff was last, with "One More Thing..." as the leading slide... *rolls eyes*

I've just heard about them. I do tend to prefer phones from major makers(like samsung, LG, apple, motorola...), as the hardware isn't everything. Even when I shifted from GS3 to G3, I noticed that even with better specs, the UI is slower on the G3. Software and hardware tuning is about everything IMO. While specs to matter, specs shouldn't be the only thing you look at when you are buying a phone.  
On the bright side, the audio chips in MX4 seems amazing. I just hope they optimize the hardware well.

In China, Meizu is a "major" manufacturer. It is up there with Xiaomi, Oppo, Lenovo, etc. The thing about this MX4 Pro is that it does indeed seem to have been optimized for audio. It's not just about the ES9018K2M/OPA1612, but also about the fact that it actually has advanced power filtering and jitter reduction. They're making a lot of bold claims, but who knows if they're truly real.

Indeed, smartphones are about the whole package these days; I think the G3 suffers at times in performance because of its crazy PPI screen. Otherwise, for an Android phone, it's about as high-end as it gets.

Anyway, this is all promising for portables (paired with CIEMs/IEMs). I'm still waiting for something that performs admirably for <$300, and has a better interface than the FiiO units (apologies to FiiO, but they're really quite flawed in the UI).

While my iPhone 6 allows my CIEMs and IEMs to perform fine, there is something missing to the sound --- just instinct.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #649 of 903

Yes. If they offered just the DAP part (perhaps with a lower resolution screen and a basic Android interface), it'd probably sell quite well. Meizu was apparently one of the first DAP makers in China, and they're supposedly returning to their roots with this phone. Perhaps they'll make their own iPod Touch to the iPhone; if you watch their keynote, they practically copy everything about Apple keynote presentations. The audio stuff was last, with "One More Thing..." as the leading slide... *rolls eyes*

In China, Meizu is a "major" manufacturer. It is up there with Xiaomi, Oppo, Lenovo, etc. The thing about this MX4 Pro is that it does indeed seem to have been optimized for audio. It's not just about the ES9018K2M/OPA1612, but also about the fact that it actually has advanced power filtering and jitter reduction. They're making a lot of bold claims, but who knows if they're truly real.

Indeed, smartphones are about the whole package these days; I think the G3 suffers at times in performance because of its crazy PPI screen. Otherwise, for an Android phone, it's about as high-end as it gets.

Anyway, this is all promising for portables (paired with CIEMs/IEMs). I'm still waiting for something that performs admirably for <$300, and has a better interface than the FiiO units (apologies to FiiO, but they're really quite flawed in the UI).

While my iPhone 6 allows my CIEMs and IEMs to perform fine, there is something missing to the sound --- just instinct.

Personally, I never considered Xiaomi, Oppo, or Meizu a major manufacturer. Their sales are very limited to China and few countries(although they are gaining more recognition around the world). 

Anyhow, if MX4 Pro does have a good UI and softwares, I see a very powerful high-fi mobile phone coming. I may even consider buying one, if I didn't have a G3. LG G3 sounds wonderful with IEMs.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #650 of 903

Yeah, Meizu was very popular in Poland for its mp3 players, they were very good.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #652 of 903
  When will Astell and Kern make a phone? :p
iRiver made a phone before... they might as well make something like AK100 II Phone version.

with simple and humble charge of 3500$ yes......

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #655 of 903

I would pay something like $2000 to get the SQ of AK100II in a phone(assuming that the phone itself isn't ****).

that means that the AK Phone would be 7000$……you have to be realistic in life bro

biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #658 of 903

The phone looks great from an audio point of view, but what is that Flyme operating system?  Is it something in-house or their version of Android?  It would be wonderful if they made a DAP with those specs.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #659 of 903

The phone looks great from an audio point of view, but what is that Flyme operating system?  Is it something in-house or their version of Android?  It would be wonderful if they made a DAP with those specs.

I'm pretty sure it's an android, but we've never had a phone with such specs. I honestly just prayed for an competent android with good audio. LG G3 got close to it, but it seems like MX4 Pro might be taking it a step further in terms of audio. As a phone though, I doubt it'll beat the G3.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #660 of 903
  I'm pretty sure it's an android, but we've never had a phone with such specs. I honestly just prayed for an competent android with good audio. LG G3 got close to it, but it seems like MX4 Pro might be taking it a step further in terms of audio. As a phone though, I doubt it'll beat the G3.

I should have edited my last post. According to a Chinese friend, Flyme is Meizu's own skin that goes on top of Android. I have to say this type of phone ticks all the boxes for me, as I'm interested in a smart phone that's a decent audio player first and the phone functions are secondary. The only off-putting thing is the lack of a Micro SD slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back