HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 11, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #12,256 of 25,603
Yes, Susvara is most boring and overpirced HP on that shoutout.
definitely u r trying to stir up this thread with describing the susvara as boring, well it seems u r bored and looking to stir up some excitement in this thread :)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #12,257 of 25,603
I mean sure, sometimes perfect can be boring. I enjoy my TC (not boring) but also I just keep going back to the Sus because it just sounds correct.

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #12,258 of 25,603
u nailed it perfectly, i can not even think of one headphone that is as natural sounding as susvara, and with my vioelectric 590 i feel that bass slams amazingly, to me the susvara does not lack anything, and has the top hand on alot of what u mentioned, while all other headphones mentioned lack something. All this aside with susvara you really are into a journey of natural engaging sound. I listen to alot of electronic music as well, I would not dial in any more bass to susvara at all.

Abyss TC wonky mids, and has an artificial signature
Utopia small sound stage and not as natural as susvara, and its mids are nowhere near the susvara
Susvara: best in everything for me even the bass is how it should be
I've got Susvara, Utopia, and ZMF VO; I like the mids on the Utopia better than any of them; it has a sense of depth that nothing else I've heard has matched. Susvara is great, but in a totally different way. It's like it splays the music open in front of me and I can hear everything very clearly, which is usually great but sometimes a distraction. I find that for me, Utopia pulls the music together and integrates the various parts of it better. So for me it's 50% Utopia, 50% Susvara, with ZMF being kind of the 'odd man out' - it sounds really excellent, but there's nothing particularly distinctive about it to me, either, and I like a headphone with a 'personality'. Using Holo May DAC and Auris Nirvana amp, through which the Susvara sounds superb and muscular.....

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #12,259 of 25,603
I've got Susvara, Utopia, and ZMF VO; I like the mids on the Utopia better than any of them; it has a sense of depth that nothing else I've heard has matched. Susvara is great, but in a totally different way. It's like it splays the music open in front of me and I can hear everything very clearly, which is usually great but sometimes a distraction. I find that for me, Utopia pulls the music together and integrates the various parts of it better. So for me it's 50% Utopia, 50% Susvara, with ZMF being kind of the 'odd man out' - it sounds really excellent, but there's nothing particularly distinctive about it to me, either, and I like a headphone with a 'personality'. Using Holo May DAC and Auris Nirvana amp, through which the Susvara sounds superb and muscular.....
Perhaps you should consider getting a tube amp. The VO will shine in the right set up. I have Utopia, VC, HE1000v2 and I just got the Susvara and the VC is very different than the others to me.

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #12,260 of 25,603
Perhaps you should consider getting a tube amp. The VO will shine in the right set up. I have Utopia, VC, HE1000v2 and I just got the Susvara and the VC is very different than the others to me.
I think his Auris Nirvana is already a tube amp?

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #12,261 of 25,603
Thank you for your suggestion, but Pashmeister is correct - the Audis Nirvana is most definitely a tube amp - I only use tube headphone amps; I've also got an Eddie Current Studio B, which is awesome for the Utopia and VO, and gets loud enough for Susvara, but the meat is a bit thin on the bones. It will be interesting to see how they all work with the Donald North Stratus that I've ordered and should show up by sometime next Summer!

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #12,262 of 25,603
I think his Auris Nirvana is already a tube amp?
Yuppers, and a fine and beautiful one at that. Upgraded the stock tubes, which needed doing, and yow! That's a powerful 6.5 watts that sucker puts out for those Susvaras, and I feel no need to try to find something more powerful, which I thought I might have to do when I heard it with the stock tubes, before break-in....

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #12,264 of 25,603
It will be interesting to see how they all work with the Donald North Stratus
The Susvara will react much the same way it does on the Eddie Current, it gets them plenty loud, but it's not the best experience.
Works well with the Verite, but IMO the Verites open and closed are a fairly obvious step down technically from the usual TOTL suspects.

Nov 11, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #12,265 of 25,603
The Susvara will react much the same way it does on the Eddie Current, it gets them plenty loud, but it's not the best experience.
Works well with the Verite, but IMO the Verites open and closed are a fairly obvious step down technically from the usual TOTL suspects.
That's a point, and it could be why they are less expensive, too. But they are fine headphones, and I know a lot of people are passionate about ZMF. But for me personally, they just come off as a bit more 'dry' than I care for, certainly more 'dry' than the Utopias. But that's just my opinion with my ears and brain. Susvara is just too different from either to do a real comparison. And that's what I figured about the Stratus - I didn't buy it for powering the Susvaras; just hearing a DNA amp will check and important box on the ol' bucket list!

Nov 11, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #12,266 of 25,603
u nailed it perfectly, i can not even think of one headphone that is as natural sounding as susvara, and with my vioelectric 590 i feel that bass slams amazingly, to me the susvara does not lack anything, and has the top hand on alot of what u mentioned, while all other headphones mentioned lack something. All this aside with susvara you really are into a journey of natural engaging sound. I listen to alot of electronic music as well, I would not dial in any more bass to susvara at all.

Abyss TC wonky mids, and has an artificial signature
Utopia small sound stage and not as natural as susvara, and its mids are nowhere near the susvara
Susvara: best in everything for me even the bass is how it should be

What songs do you recommend to best show the strengths of the Susvara.

What are your favorite songs to listen when you want to blow minds off?

Nov 11, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #12,267 of 25,603
Hey, would welcome some advice. Finally getting round to purchasing a good enough amp to drive my Susvara’s. Options appear to be within £3500 max. Considering Sparkos Aries and the Benchmark AHB2. Anybody had experience of any or is there any other amps worth considering (solid state).

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #12,268 of 25,603
Hey, would welcome some advice. Finally getting round to purchasing a good enough amp to drive my Susvara’s. Options appear to be within £3500 max. Considering Sparkos Aries and the Benchmark AHB2. Anybody had experience of any or is there any other amps worth considering (solid state).
You have 819 pages of conflicting opinions at your disposal. :D

Nov 11, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #12,269 of 25,603
I've been asking similar questions several pages back along with literally hundreds of similar posts. Depending on who you ask they will tell you the two amps you are considering are awesome and perfect for the Susvara while others will tell you they're total dumpster-fire garbage. The amps that have some sort of semi-consensus (?) are all out of the budget you set for yourself (and for me too). I think there is some obvious love for the Bakoon 13R and WA33 on this thread along with many others. I decided I'm not going to drop another $6K to $8K on amps this year after spending about $25K on this hobby in 2021, so I intend to settle with the Rag 2 or GSX Mini until next Spring when my wallet comes out of hibernation and I go BIG and REALLY STUPID :joy::joy::joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back