HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 9, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #12,241 of 25,604
My budget would be around $1k for a 6ft cable, if it is really worth it i can probably stretch a little bit.

No need to spend even a quarter of that amount. I used these $20 eBay cables (like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/183544027031) for months before going for a much nicer custom cable. No surprise they sound exactly the same.

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #12,243 of 25,604
I'm using a copper/silver hybrid (FAW Claire Hybrid) but thinking about going 100% silver with Arctic cables. Anyone using pure silver?

Also decided to just go with a Rag 2 for now as I don't want to drop another $8K on a WA33 this month. I know it's not really recommended, but I need to slow down as I'm on too much of a audiophile sugar rush. Might pick up one of those new Yggys too. I can use it later to drive some bookshelf speakers. It will be my humble set-up before going really expensive/ridiculous in 2022 :laughing:

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #12,244 of 25,604
I'm using a copper/silver hybrid (FAW Claire Hybrid) but thinking about going 100% silver with Arctic cables. Anyone using pure silver?

Also decided to just go with a Rag 2 for now as I don't want to drop another $8K on a WA33 this month. I know it's not really recommended, but I need to slow down as I'm on too much of a audiophile sugar rush. Might pick up one of those new Yggys too. I can use it later to drive some bookshelf speakers. It will be my humble set-up before going really expensive/ridiculous in 2022 :laughing:
I’m using a Helix 100% silver sometimes with my Susvara and was listening for a few weeks on that cable along with a WA33. GREAT PAIRING!!! still good with my AHB2 but that WA33 was special in that setup.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #12,245 of 25,604
Can anyone confirm that any repairs to Susvara require shipping to China? I was under the impression they could be fixed in the states, may affect my purchase decisions weither to catch and release or catch and keep a Sus
If you buy from an official Hifiman Dealer (as gievn on Hifiman's website) then you would send it back to them to either repair the Susvara or obtain a replacement.
My first Susvara became faulty, so I returned it back to my UK Hifiman Dealer who in turn sent it to the UK Hifiman Distributor. I received a brand new Susvara.
This was the main reason why I bought my Susvara and EF1000 from an official Hifiman Dealer. When you are paying a lot of money for such products you need that assurance and back-up.

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #12,246 of 25,604
I'd like to point out something I noticed in my research on the Susvara and if they hold up well over time. I looked and looked, it's almost like finding a hd800 with bad drivers, they must really take extra pride in making their Susvaras drivers. I can't find anyone who who has had one go out. I assume that is because the gold traces makes a driver fairly resilient to failing. Plus planners are pretty robust. I'll say this, I really broke no sweat over warranty (all things considered, w/my history and experience with hifiman) on a Susvara, I wouldn't of even considered buying a U or a few others without one.
My first pair of Susvara's did ! See posting I have not long sent before this one.

Nov 10, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #12,247 of 25,604
True, thanks for the suggestion and I think it is really helpful. I am happy to adjust the budget on cable and spend it elsewhere of the chain.
I use the stock Susvara cable out of my EF1000 and the sound is fantastic.
I tried a couple of copper based custom prototype made cables, but preferred the stock cable.
Currently have no reason or want to upgrade from the stock cable.

Nov 10, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #12,249 of 25,604
So I started with Heron 5 excellent! Then I figured my Taurus is magic with Hek V2 so let's give that a try, very nice to, then I remember my M2 Tech Young Mkiii /VGMkII has gain, so I pumped that baby from 5v to 10 and wow, now we are cooking with gas wow! Bass, imaging everything is so nice! I think this just saved me alot of cash in amps, as soon as I boosted the output voltage to 10v every thing filled out really nicely.

The Susvara reminds me of Xelento in that every instrument is so beautifully reproduced, powerful leading edges make it sound like a dynamic driver, it is of course better than Xelento, but I've never heard a iem I preferred for my music taste. I think I can sell the Hek V2 now, I was going to keep both, but now I'm not sure that's necessary.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #12,250 of 25,604
I can tell she's firing on all cylinders because I'm getting the same strength in all registers as I do with Hekv2, amp runs alittle hot at 10 v but that's ok, as long as she keeps pumping beautiful music into these beast lol. The advantage of variable output voltage was a life saver, huge difference. It sounds excellent with 5 but transformed with 10v I recommend buying a DAC with that option.

My Heron 5 was a early production unit that had a 5-8 db jump on its last step, having a preamp to make the volume more linear is also a great save for that option.

Heron 5 with stock cables is excellent.

I highly recommend my buddy Marcos M2 Tech Young Mkiii/VGMkII or his new Mkiv - Sorry about the double post but I'm pumped for Sus

Nov 11, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #12,251 of 25,604
I followed up my Susvara review with a hi-end/summit-fi comparison video:

Enjoy!

Nov 11, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #12,252 of 25,604

Enjoy!

Really enjoying your reviews, and yes, I'm a subscriber!

Nov 11, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #12,253 of 25,604

Enjoy!

u nailed it perfectly, i can not even think of one headphone that is as natural sounding as susvara, and with my vioelectric 590 i feel that bass slams amazingly, to me the susvara does not lack anything, and has the top hand on alot of what u mentioned, while all other headphones mentioned lack something. All this aside with susvara you really are into a journey of natural engaging sound. I listen to alot of electronic music as well, I would not dial in any more bass to susvara at all.

Abyss TC wonky mids, and has an artificial signature
Utopia small sound stage and not as natural as susvara, and its mids are nowhere near the susvara
Susvara: best in everything for me even the bass is how it should be

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #12,255 of 25,604
You're shooting down a review because it doesn't favor any of your headphones?

PitifulDishonestAsp-size_restricted.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back