HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 16, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #1,606 of 25,592
How does the HE-adapter protect the headphones from damage? Does it have fuses or some other inbuilt device to limit the power output of the speaker amp?

I am also interested in knowing which speaker amps are best suited for use with the Susvara.

Jeff.

p.s. By the way, I am willing to sell my Ican Pro (which is in mint condition) for $1,000 if any person is interested - because I am not using it at all.
Here's what the inside of the Hifiman HE-Adapter looks like:

2592182.jpg
7604952.jpg

It's just a series resistors that limit current so you don't blow up your headphones or amp. It helps with eliminate hiss and makes low Independence headphones easier to drive. I might be over stating it but that really all there is too it. As simple as it is it works beautifully and protects your gear.

If you plan on getting a speaker amp you might as well hang on to the Pro iCan. It can also be used as a pre-amp. It sounds and works great at those duties as well. What are you using to drive your Susvara's?

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,607 of 25,592
Here's what the inside of the Hifiman HE-Adapter looks like:

2592182.jpg
7604952.jpg

It's just a series resistors that limit current so you don't blow up your headphones or amp. It helps with eliminate hiss and makes low Independence headphones easier to drive. I might be over stating it but that really all there is too it. As simple as it is it works beautifully and protects your gear.

If you plan on getting a speaker amp you might as well hang on to the Pro iCan. It can also be used as a pre-amp. It sounds and works great at those duties as well. What are you using to drive your Susvara's?

Thanks for the info and the images.

I am presently using a V281 headphone amplifier to drive my Susvara headphones. I have the V281 headphone amplifier's gain setting at zero and my Wyred-4-Sound 2v2SE 10th Anniversary Limited Edition DAC's volume control setting at 48 (because it outputs 8.3V at full volume in balanced XLR mode) and that allows me to operate the V281's volume control range between 11 - 1:30 o'clock. My Susvara (driven by a V281) outputs a tremendously powerful bass, and the Susvara's sound is already very clear and open, and it is not understandable to me how using a speaker amplifier can be of greater benefit - but I remain open-minded about this issue.

Jeff.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #1,608 of 25,592
personally i cannot imagine needing more power than the 281 in balanced mode provides my susvara.....

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #1,609 of 25,592
probably a novice question that I've been wondering for a while. can someone explain how the adapter hooks up? do you only need to use one pair of speaker cables to connect it to a power amp but it has 2 pairs? is the volume still controlled by my preamp?

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #1,610 of 25,592
probably a novice question that I've been wondering for a while. can someone explain how the adapter hooks up? do you only need to use one pair of speaker cables to connect it to a power amp but it has 2 pairs? is the volume still controlled by my preamp?

You need a banana plug to XLR adapter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Balanced-X...bc:m:mA6EGZFDrySZv-X4Tr63CIA&var=471512956346

FYI, if you have a solid state amp that's less than 100W, you don't need the HE adapter. If you have a tube amp, you must use the adapter. I use speaker tabs out of MHA100. No need for HE adapter.

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #1,611 of 25,592
Thanks for the info and the images.

I am presently using a V281 headphone amplifier to drive my Susvara headphones. I have the V281 headphone amplifier's gain setting at zero and my Wyred-4-Sound 2v2SE 10th Anniversary Limited Edition DAC's volume control setting at 48 (because it outputs 8.3V at full volume in balanced XLR mode) and that allows me to operate the V281's volume control range between 11 - 1:30 o'clock. My Susvara (driven by a V281) outputs a tremendously powerful bass, and the Susvara's sound is already very clear and open, and it is not understandable to me how using a speaker amplifier can be of greater benefit - but I remain open-minded about this issue.

Jeff.
If you're happy with the V281 then I would stay the course. No need to spend more money trying out power amps unless you just want more output.

I just so happen to have the Burson amp in another setup I was using. Now I'm utilizing both and prefer that sound.

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #1,612 of 25,592
the Big Boys are here, my KGSSHV Carbon arrived today :ksc75smile:

20180818_111118.jpg

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #1,613 of 25,592
Aug 18, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #1,614 of 25,592
Let me suggest an Audioquest Jitterbug between CCK And USB cable. The impact was clearly way above the (low) cost...
Too me Jitterbug was very dissapointing... yes less noise, but very forward and tiring, very colored.
Yesterday i got Ifi Nano usb 3 and difference between jitterbug and nano is huge. No way i ever listen music whitout it again. Way more details, way more neutral, more analog, more energy whitout being aggressive. Jitterbug is garbage in comparison.
Im Ifi fan now :D might as well save up for igalvanic :D

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,615 of 25,592
the Big Boys are here, my KGSSHV Carbon arrived today :ksc75smile:

You must review them all!

I was going to do an SR-009 vs Susvara vs Abyss Phi (CC) review, but upon hearing the SR-009 + KGSSHV Carbon + Chord Hugo 2, I decided it was far too ahead of the HE1000, LCD-4, Utopia, and Abyss AB-1266, that non-electrostats would never stand a chance to my ears, so I sold all my non-electrostatic stuff. With that said I can definitely understand people preferring the HE1000 or Susvara, I just know I don't and won't.

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #1,616 of 25,592

I was going to do an SR-009 vs Susvara vs Abyss Phi (CC) review, but upon hearing the SR-009 + KGSSHV Carbon + Chord Hugo 2, I decided it was far too ahead of the HE1000, LCD-4, Utopia, and Abyss AB-1266, that non-electrostats would never stand a chance to my ears, so I sold all my non-electrostatic stuff. With that said I can definitely understand people preferring the HE1000 or Susvara, I just know I don't and won't.

sadly my "used" SR-009 have issue with the right driver, its too old, i bought it from here, and seller mentioned that it had issue yet he got it fixed with price japan. he had it since 2014. i used it today, and the right side was soooooo weak compared to the left side ;-;

i need a new one for sure.... at this point ><;

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #1,617 of 25,592

009S is an incredible headphone. Detailed and natural mid-range/treble timbre. A little more clarity/forward midrange than the Susvara. The soundstage is not as pervasively coherent (read as: natural) as the Susvara. But, for what it brings into the mid-range and treble with timbre, the 009S is a nice contrast for a different flavor of listening. Both have sometimes incredibly lifelike presentations, albeit in slightly different ways.

The one annoying thing with the 009S is extreme panned instruments. Bass in particular when extreme panned can create an odd suction sensation in your ear. All headphones do this with extreme panned sound, but I’m finding it’s a little more awkward/visceral feeling with the 009S with certain content (perhaps due to the material that creates the renowned Stax farts), particularly percussive instruments. A good example of this is with Dave Brubecks original Take Five drums. I’ve messed around with the fit for awhile, and while it can be alleviated a bit, it’s never quite right when you get that kind of content. Don’t get me wrong, that track’s drum location is never quite right on any headphone and is always fairly bothersome, but the suction effect is more irritating than usual.

My amplifier pairings are in my signature. For recent comparisons I’ve been using the PC to Auralic Vega to McIntosh MCH150 via unbalanced and to BHSE via balanced.

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #1,618 of 25,592
I just finished a several-month-long comparison with tons of amps, using Susvara (and many others) and a bunch of DACs too. Figured I would cross post it here.

Bottom line, for me, is that the new Niimbus amp (sort of a big brother to V281) is the best I've heard with Susvara. The XI Formula S with PSU upgrade is excellent as well. V281 is still amazing as well, if not quite on the same level as those two.

I have played with speaker amps in the past (though not during this comparison) and I don't think there's much to be gained going that route, at least for my low-to-moderate listening style. That said, a good speaker amp may in fact be a more affordable way of achieving great sound.... there are a lot of excellent deals on the used market.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #1,619 of 25,592
I just finished a several-month-long comparison with tons of amps, using Susvara (and many others) and a bunch of DACs too. Figured I would cross post it here.

Bottom line, for me, is that the new Niimbus amp (sort of a big brother to V281) is the best I've heard with Susvara. The XI Formula S with PSU upgrade is excellent as well. V281 is still amazing as well, if not quite on the same level as those two.

I have played with speaker amps in the past (though not during this comparison) and I don't think there's much to be gained going that route, at least for my low-to-moderate listening style. That said, a good speaker amp may in fact be a more affordable way of achieving great sound.... there are a lot of excellent deals on the used market.

Your link is not working.

Aug 19, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #1,620 of 25,592

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back