HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 21, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #1,636 of 25,444
I can say Pass HPA-1 is a wonderful piece of audio hardware. I had a loaner for several weeks and even though I haven't heard it with Utopias, it should be a great match. Informative character of these cans should go really nicely with it.

I was looking at this amp as well. The thing that put me off is to only has SE output for the phones, and I find balanced tends to sound better. It certainly does on my V281.

Aug 21, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,637 of 25,444
Balanced is definitely better on V281 (and plenty of other amps) but that's due to their topology. Others, such as the Auralic Taurus mkII, sound slightly different but overall pretty evenly matched no matter which output you choose.

The Pass amp is a single-ended design so you are getting the most out of it already. Adding a balanced jack for "convenience" like Woo Audio sometimes does would not bring any improvement, so why bother?

But I will say some DACs do best via their XLR outputs, and so the Pass would in fact be at a disadvantage in those situations. But still, it's a wonderful amp.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #1,638 of 25,444
20180823_071106.jpg

The Susvara is exceptional at keeping a 5 year old sitting still. Great as stocking stuffers.

Aug 23, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #1,639 of 25,444

The Susvara is exceptional at keeping a 5 year old sitting still. Great as stocking stuffers.

That is cool, get the kids interested! Did he find it too loud, those 'new' ears LOL.

Aug 23, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #1,640 of 25,444
That is cool, get the kids interested! Did he find it too loud, those 'new' ears LOL.

I actually don’t let kids into my office. He woke up early today and found me in my office. If he starts to get interested, I may get him his own. You don’t need Susvara to listen to Terminater soundtrack. :darthsmile:

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,642 of 25,444
Balanced is definitely better on V281 (and plenty of other amps) but that's due to their topology. Others, such as the Auralic Taurus mkII, sound slightly different but overall pretty evenly matched no matter which output you choose.

The Pass amp is a single-ended design so you are getting the most out of it already. Adding a balanced jack for "convenience" like Woo Audio sometimes does would not bring any improvement, so why bother?

But I will say some DACs do best via their XLR outputs, and so the Pass would in fact be at a disadvantage in those situations. But still, it's a wonderful amp.

Exactly. If I know that in a given device XLRs are added just for convenience, I won't use them if I can go SE.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Aug 24, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #1,643 of 25,444
Has anyone explored aftermarket earpads for Susvara? The stock is fine just maybe a few mm too thin. Sometimes the driver touches my ear.

Aug 24, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #1,644 of 25,444
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #1,645 of 25,444
Careful, you're introducing your kids to an expensive habit...
(Of course, there are far worse habits they could get into, so this may not be a bad thing. Nothing like wholesome pastimes like high-end audio.)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #1,646 of 25,444
Careful, you're introducing your kids to an expensive habit...
(Of course, there are far worse habits they could get into, so this may not be a bad thing. Nothing like wholesome pastimes like high-end audio.)

True, like sports cars and haute horology. Those two hobbies kill. Once they start down those roads, it’s the beginning of the end.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #1,648 of 25,444
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #1,650 of 25,444
Although a Susvara 2 is likely within the horizon in a year time, do y'all think Hifiman will soon integrate wifi capabilities into their higher grade tech due to the increasing improvement of wireless capabilities?

I doubt it because of the eccentric belief among audiophytes that it will decrease the sound quality. Likewise, if they did it would probably raise the price stratospherically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back