HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 19, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #1,621 of 25,484
Aug 19, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #1,622 of 25,484
Thanks for that. A good review BTW. Where are you on amps now with the Susvara? I got the V281 recently and love it (balanced out).

I am stuck with Dave (DAC mode) > iFi Pro iCan (Solid-State mode, 0dB gain, XBass Off, 3D off) > balanced Susvara

And I recently received the HE adapter to try Susvara with my speaker amps: My long-time favourite Leben CS-600 has not beaten the iFi Pro iCan via headphone out or speaker outs with the HE-Adapter... I would like to try my other speaker amps one day but I do not feel any urge to do that as I am really happy with the Dave>iFi iCan combo.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,623 of 25,484
Your link is not working.

Weird, it worked the day I posted it but then stopped. It's been fixed.

Anyone find a good tube amp that does justice to Susvara? Of all the models I tried, the older TTVJ 307A did the best... assuming I listened at fairly low volumes. Anything beyond that and it began falling apart a bit.

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,624 of 25,484
As for speakers amps and Susvaras (or any other difficult headphones), is it actually safe to match these? OK, I admit, I've tried Susvaras a good while ago with FirstWatt F7 and was happy. But aren't most stereo amps designed to handle loads of far lesser impedance, say 4 or 8 ohms?

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Aug 20, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #1,625 of 25,484
Weird, it worked the day I posted it but then stopped. It's been fixed.

Anyone find a good tube amp that does justice to Susvara? Of all the models I tried, the older TTVJ 307A did the best... assuming I listened at fairly low volumes. Anything beyond that and it began falling apart a bit.
I use The Eddie Current Studio & also have tried the Eddie Current aficionado which cost less then the Studio, both amps does justice to the Susvara.

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #1,626 of 25,484
I use The Eddie Current Studio & also have tried the Eddie Current aficionado which cost less then the Studio, both amps does justice to the Susvara.

Nice, haven't had an opportunity to try either of those yet. I absolutely love the Balancing Act but it isn't potent enough for the Susvara.

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #1,627 of 25,484
Anyone find a good tube amp that does justice to Susvara?

Boy, I'd love to hear more feedback on how it does with the WA33. There have been some brief comments along the way in this thread, some positive and some on the slightly skeptical side. Would love to hear more...

Aug 20, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #1,629 of 25,484
Boy, I'd love to hear more feedback on how it does with the WA33. There have been some brief comments along the way in this thread, some positive and some on the slightly skeptical side. Would love to hear more...

I tried to get one of those here for my Niimbus review project but ran out of time. I've heard it once, just for a quick 15 minute listen. I was.... conflicted. Sounded absolutely beautiful with a 2nd gen T1 (a headphone I don't generally tend to love). But sounded pretty questionable with an LCD-4. The only specs I could find at the time were "up to" 10 watts per channel, but no mention of impedance for that figure. Is that into a 50 ohm load, or is it a worthless 8 ohm figure like Luxman used to use for their P-1u, or....?

Aug 21, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #1,631 of 25,484
Let me suggest an Audioquest Jitterbug between CCK And USB cable. The impact was clearly way above the (low) cost...

I got the CCK adapter and hooked it to ipad pro and pro idsd. It would play like 2 seconds and lose connection. Did you have to do anything for iDevice to see the DAC reliably?

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #1,632 of 25,484
The Niimbus review has me thinking about Pass HPA1 from the nice comments about it (notably the subjective synergy with the Utopia).
That was one great review. Some of the finest writing I have seen. It came across as very un-biased, fair and balanced.

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #1,633 of 25,484
Pass HPA1 from the nice comments about it (notably the subjective synergy with the Utopia).

I can say Pass HPA-1 is a wonderful piece of audio hardware. I had a loaner for several weeks and even though I haven't heard it with Utopias, it should be a great match. Informative character of these cans should go really nicely with it.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en

Users who are viewing this thread

Back