HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 30, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #3,031 of 25,604
Tonight is my second night with the Susvara and I am super impressed with what I am hearing. I got to briefly audition them a few weeks back on some killer gear and I had to pick up a pair for myself. Not only are they incredibly transparent, quick, detailed and BIG sounding, but they will help separate out amplifiers that can really drive harder to power headphones. Simply amazing so far!! Oh, and yes, if anyone is curious, both the GS-X mini and Benchmark HPA4 can drive them with outstanding authority!

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #3,032 of 25,604
Tonight is my second night with the Susvara and I am super impressed with what I am hearing. I got to briefly audition them a few weeks back on some killer gear and I had to pick up a pair for myself. Not only are they incredibly transparent, quick, detailed and BIG sounding, but they will help separate out amplifiers that can really drive harder to power headphones. Simply amazing so far!! Oh, and yes, if anyone is curious, both the GS-X mini and Benchmark HPA4 can drive them with outstanding authority!
Is this your first time listening to the Susvara? That's kinda surprising! Yes the Susvara is very good. I'm generally not a planar person however I think the Susvara was very nicely done.

Whilst the GS-X could drive the Susvara, personally for my tastes, it wasn't to my preference. I found speaker amps and some of the other (unfortunately) expensive headphone amps were able to drive the Susvara with greater authority and more importantly, effortlessly. So at least with my limited experience with amps & not wanting to spend a lot (north of $5000 for headphone amps), I found speaker amps to be more cost effective for good synergy with the Susvara. Some folks here have mentioned some amps that are sub $2000/$4000 that can drive the Susvara well however I've not tried them.

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #3,033 of 25,604
Is this your first time listening to the Susvara? That's kinda surprising! Yes the Susvara is very good. I'm generally not a planar person however I think the Susvara was very nicely done.

Whilst the GS-X could drive the Susvara, personally for my tastes, it wasn't to my preference. I found speaker amps and some of the other (unfortunately) expensive headphone amps were able to drive the Susvara with greater authority and more importantly, effortlessly. So at least with my limited experience with amps & not wanting to spend a lot (north of $5000 for headphone amps), I found speaker amps to be more cost effective for good synergy with the Susvara. Some folks here have mentioned some amps that are sub $2000/$4000 that can drive the Susvara well however I've not tried them.

First time at home. :) I've heard it several times at meets, but a few weeks ago, it really grabbed my attention at an audio show here in Toronto.

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #3,034 of 25,604
dCS Bartok with built-in class A headphone amp... for Christmas? Sounds like best Christmas ever!
I think it has potential to be better than the Dave/HMS and Pass XA25 driving my Susvaras. Cheaper too, LOL!!
Steve Guttenberg says the Abyss has more punch than the Susvaras when connected to the Bartok, but not sure if he means not enough power to drive the Susvaras or if he is describing the overall sound quality which is kinda obvious... nothing kicks you in the head like the Abyss.
Darko liked it better than the Dave..."absolutely fantastic" review after review.
Anyone have any experience?

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #3,035 of 25,604
dCS Bartok with built-in class A headphone amp... for Christmas? Sounds like best Christmas ever!
I think it has potential to be better than the Dave/HMS and Pass XA25 driving my Susvaras. Cheaper too, LOL!!
Steve Guttenberg says the Abyss has more punch than the Susvaras when connected to the Bartok, but not sure if he means not enough power to drive the Susvaras or if he is describing the overall sound quality which is kinda obvious... nothing kicks you in the head like the Abyss.
Darko liked it better than the Dave..."absolutely fantastic" review after review.
Anyone have any experience?
No but austinpop's review of the dCS Bartok over a audiophile style is an interesting read imho.

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #3,036 of 25,604

Lots of good words about this dCS. Hopefully I'll hear it in several days during the local show. But after all I know about it, my privy expectations are very high.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Oct 31, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #3,038 of 25,604
Did anyone try pairing ifi ican pro with the Susvara? I am planning to upgrade my amp and that seems like the only amp with acceptable size that can be put on a desk at that price range. Or is there some option that u suggest with similar size?

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #3,039 of 25,604
the ifi pro can will easily drive the susvara...it is a powerhouse...that said there are many more expensive amps that are better.....for the price it is outstanding

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #3,040 of 25,604
Does anyone know how the Susvara pairs with Hifimans EF-6? I think I remember Hifiman giving away EF-6s to like the first 100 who preordered the Susvara, so I figure it is a good match. I could be wrong though. I own an EF6 and I am thinking about getting the Susvara. Thanks

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #3,041 of 25,604
What cables are you all using? My Susvara came today, and the stock cables are surprisingly cheap for a $6K headphone. Other than that, the headphones do sound very good. Much more laid back than my TCs. I see why everybody says the two headphones compliment each other. I look forward to a long night of listening to music. Currently I'm listening to some OSDM, Cerebral Rot's latest, and it sounds pretty good, and pretty different than the TCs (but in a good way) :thinking:

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #3,042 of 25,604
What cables are you all using? My Susvara came today, and the stock cables are surprisingly cheap for a $6K headphone. Other than that, the headphones do sound very good. Much more laid back than my TCs. I see why everybody says the two headphones compliment each other. I look forward to a long night of listening to music. Currently I'm listening to some OSDM, Cerebral Rot's latest, and it sounds pretty good, and pretty different than the TCs (but in a good way) :thinking:
Would you consider them warm or neutral sounding?

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #3,043 of 25,604

the 2 are the very best IMHO and definitely very complimentary

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #3,044 of 25,604
Would you consider them warm or neutral sounding?
They are a bit warm, but not overly so. I'm still getting used to them though, and I'll drop some impressions after a couple of days of intense listening.

I replaced my Utopias with the Susvara, as the Utopias were way too bright, confined, and literally hurt my ears. I blame the TCs I have, as they completely spoiled me....lol. I used to actually like the Utopia sound. Not anymore. The Susvara sounds good out of my amp (WA33), and I feel like I could listen to them casually for a long while . They are brighter and warmer than the TCs though, most definitely.

The Susvara just sounds so laid back and effortless (I remember reading reviews where they said that, but I didn't quite know what they meant. Now I do, and they were right, in that the Susvaras are indeed very laid back and effortless

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #3,045 of 25,604
the ifi pro can will easily drive the susvara...it is a powerhouse...that said there are many more expensive amps that are better.....for the price it is outstanding
Thanks for the impression, is there any similar sized amp to the ican pro that are better? As i don't want to waste money on yet another upgrade if possible :darthsmile:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back