1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMan Susvara

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ostewart, Jun 18, 2017.
First

Back
191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200
202 203 204 205 206
Next

Last
  1. llamaluv
    I never heard the HPA4...

2. iFi audio
    Yes, power amps feeding Susvaras from taps directly might sound scary, but one would have to go to really loud unlistenable levels to break them.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ info@ifi-audio.com
  3. tunes
    Bimmer100 has an opinion:

Is the HPA4 driving the Hifiman Susvara enough or will I need to use the ABH2 speaker taps to get the most out of the Susvara?

the HPA4 has more than enough power to drive the susvara. I own both HPA4 and AHB2 and would never consider using the AHB2 with the susvara's. I'm quite happy with the performance and few amps have the grunt for the susvara's. however HPA4 will deliver.

4. jlbrach
    the speaker amp craze here is out of control....good high end headphone amps are made for headphones and sound excellent

5. MacedonianHero Contributor
    I'm with you on this!

6. cladane
    Hello,
    Of course manufacturers actually provide very good headphone amps and very often now they design their amps with totl cans in hands and vice-versa.
    Just to see specific pairings like Abyss-Formula S or Utopia-Arche among others.

Quality of parts doesn’t make now really a difference since headphones amps can be highly priced also.

It remains that listening to Susvara with some speaker amps is an experience to live. Those headphones have a synergy with high power supplies and, for me, big output transformers (tube amps) designed for good speakers.

Oregonian and Mystel like this.
  7. Matez
    Since we're talking power amps, I was wondering about output impedance of a typical power amp in relation to Susvara's own impedance during connection to that amps's taps. Anyone knows anything? Any amps in particular to avoid?

8. llamaluv
    Solid state speaker amps have an output impedance under 1 ohm, almost invariably, so in that sense, are a good match, impedance-wise, for the Susvara or any other headphone.

9. cladane
    About tube amps, impedance can vary a lot between models and power supply filtering matters, two elements bringing hum to sensitive headphones like Utopia (hum can be very low).
    No problem for Susvara, Abyss, LCD4, MySphere 3.2 and alike.

So power tube amps are more difficult to choose to drive headphones than SS amps. But, imho, tubes bring more airiness or cathedral effect (for imaging) to the listening experience. With big OPT, bass below 100hz are very good. Slam can be less percussive than SS amps according power supply (at least hybride or SS but common for tubes speakers amps).

Thenewguy007 likes this.
  10. Mystel
    A couple of people here just make statements without even trying, its ok, their loss :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Oregonian and llamaluv like this.
  11. Matez
    Yes, that's true, Class AB cases oftentimes go way way below 1 ohm. Noob question on my end :L3000:

12. hrq12345
    Recently got my newly built EC Studio Jr. It really drives the Susvara superbly!

13. tunes
    How does the Studio Jr compare to the Eddie Current Zana Deux?

14. hrq12345
    I've never heard the ECZD, but have heard the ECBA. Studio Jr has more power to drive planar headphones.

15. Matez
    After all that's been on in this thread, a fair question to ask would be whether you had the chance to listen to Susvaras on a speaker amp. If so, how your Studio Jr. is in comparison?

First

Back
191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200
202 203 204 205 206
Next

Last