Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Apr 22, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,051 of 4,255
So second day with these and unfortunately... The brightness is starting to annoy me :frowning2: This is such a shame as I truly think these are a remarkable headphone. Everyone has their own individual tolerances in regards to treble. These are just above mine. Otherwise they would have been keepers. I can hear more detail than the HD800 from the mids up and they are smoother - but to my ears they are also a fair bit brighter overall.

Here's a photo :frowning2: Goodbye my lover, goodbye my friend...

DSC_3530.jpg

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #1,052 of 4,255
So second day with these and unfortunately... The brightness is starting to annoy me :frowning2: This is such a shame as I truly think these are a remarkable headphone. Everyone has their own individual tolerances in regards to treble. These are just above mine. Otherwise they would have been keepers. I can hear more detail than the HD800 from the mids up and they are smoother - but to my ears they are also a fair bit brighter overall.

You find these brighter than your HD800?

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #1,053 of 4,255
I found the HD800 to have a brighter top end but the Sundaras do have a more forward presentation in the mids-highs which may sound too energetic for some I guess.

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #1,054 of 4,255

What part of the spectrum are you most sensitive to? Upper-mids treble (3-5k) or lower treble (6-9k)?

Like the poster above, the Sundara may come off a bit more than necessary at about 4-5k, but above that it's definately leveled than HD800 peaks.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,055 of 4,255
I instead find my HD800 S too bright. To me the HD800 S is as bright as my HE-560. I like both (HD800 S and my HE-560) but the Sundara is what I would listen for hours without a problem.

Is your HD800 modded?

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #1,056 of 4,255

-

You've faced the harsh reality and overcome the odds.
(applause).

-
upload_2018-4-22_10-42-11.png

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #1,057 of 4,255
I instead find my HD800 S too bright. To me the HD800 S is as bright as my HE-560. I like both (HD800 S and my HE-560) but the Sundara is what I would listen for hours without a problem.

Is your HD800 modded?

No mods.. Putting the HD800 on after a day with the Hifimans, they sounded veiled to begin with. I do realise you have to have time to get accustomed again, so that is taken into consideration. Yes its weird, unless I've been sent an extra bright pair? Either way, the treble got the better of me. Strings sound superb and detailed. As did chorals works (if a little light) but brass instruments in particular I found too bright and became harsh as time went on. I think it is lower treble that has always bothered me more than higher up. The HD800 has one annoying peak - it is there, I hear it but it has never bothered me unless I really focus on it. But I do think the Sundara has a brighter signature. The HD800 tend to be more flexible in regards to what they are plugged into. They can actually sound quite warm :)

Anyhow I documented all the plusses, including the air/imaging and bass - which I think are as good as it gets! I'm pleased I finally got the hear them. Been watching them for a while.

Was going to do a review - but I don't think I can add anything more than what Tyll has already said.

It's only a shame for me. Don't want to cast a shadow over this great headphone - It's my ears that have the problem :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #1,059 of 4,255
Ray, you are not alone feeling that high clamping pressure that causes a fairly heavy point load on the top of the head, which never really goes away (after a month) and it is always a relief to remove them from the head.

To me, the overall sound is quite good but I could find it a little in your face and irritating on some tracks and I found it can lack a bit of body in the mids which I would have liked - but then it probably would lose that airy open feeling that makes it different from others.

It is probably something about the emphasis in the upper mids/lower treble that I have a problem with (but not with all music).

It seems to do best with female vocals rather than male (but it is still decent).

I think that the Sundara is good but like most stuff it has its flaws and overall I could not justify keeping it - so I have returned mine to Amazon UK.

I will stick with my Fidelio X2 (with modded cable) and have also returned my Beyer DT1990 (which I have owned twice, which is good but a bit bland for me).

So far I have resisted the urge to go for a desktop setup and will remain with a practical portable DAP for use around the home, etc.

My challenge will be to continue looking for the value for money stuff that I can recommend to family, friends and fellow Head-Fi'ers.

I am looking for an all-rounder and I believe the Sundara does not tick that box...................................... the journey continues...........................:ksc75smile:.......................OOPs...:yum::dress:

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #1,060 of 4,255
Ray, you are not alone feeling that high clamping pressure that causes a fairly heavy point load on the top of the head, which never really goes away (after a month) and it is always a relief to remove them from the head.

To me, the overall sound is quite good but I could find it a little in your face and irritating on some tracks and I found it can lack a bit of body in the mids which I would have liked - but then it probably would lose that airy open feeling that makes it different from others.

It is probably something about the emphasis in the upper mids/lower treble that I have a problem with (but not with all music).

It seems to do best with female vocals rather than male (but it is still decent).

I think that the Sundara is good but like most stuff it has its flaws and overall I could not justify keeping it - so I have returned mine to Amazon UK.

I will stick with my Fidelio X2 (with modded cable) and have also returned my Beyer DT1990 (which I have owned twice, which is good but a bit bland for me).

So far I have resisted the urge to go for a desktop setup and will remain with a practical portable DAP for use around the home, etc.

My challenge will be to continue looking for the value for money stuff that I can recommend to family, friends and fellow Head-Fi'ers.

I am looking for an all-rounder and I believe the Sundara does not tick that box...................................... the journey continues...........................:ksc75smile:.......................OOPs...:yum::dress:
Have you tried the HD660S? Its less airy but also less in your face compared to the Sundara

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #1,061 of 4,255
Have you tried the HD660S? Its less airy but also less in your face compared to the Sundara

Not yet but probably will at some stage.

Several guys on here have said that they preferred the Sundara but we will never know until we try for ourselves.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,062 of 4,255

Picky picky... :grimacing:

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,063 of 4,255
Not yet but probably will at some stage.

Several guys on here have said that they preferred the Sundara but we will never know until we try for ourselves.
Personally i do like the Sundara more but it seems like the 660s would fit your preference more.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #1,064 of 4,255

I found Sundara better than hd660. I agree with your assessment. But you will have a hard time finding a better one at $500.:ksc75smile:

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #1,065 of 4,255

So you find the Sundara can be a little harsh or irritating but never had that problem with your DT1990’s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back