Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Apr 9, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #4,246 of 4,251
With Topping, you know you're going to get a clean sounding device. With Schiit, you know you're going to get a magical sounding one. I choose magical, anytime. But it's not my purchase, so it's really up to the buyer, what they're looking for.
Both are clean. Pretty much every headphone amp is clean. Any distortion that is audible is orders of magnitude more due to the headphones than the amps. A "magical" sounding amp is whichever pairs best with your headphone(s). My Schiit Vali 2+ doesn't sound all too magical with the Sundara, even after trying two other tubes. I have not tried other Schiit amps, besides the Asgard 2 and OG Mjolnir, neither of which has the warmth needed to pair well with the Sundara. Newer Schiits seem to be warmer, according to impressions. The Sundara seems to prefer warm sounding amps that are virtually unlimited by current output, i.e. speaker amps, via speaker taps. Now, those can be "dirty," with significant noise floor.

I think what many refer to as "clean" is actually just an overdamped sound. This is the type of sound that often feels thin, dry and lifeless, lacking naturalness and body/presence. True cleanliness is simply an output signal that is faithful to its input, and this is measurable. However, every modern headphone amp is capable of levels of cleanliness that are far beyond human detection, such that any "dirtiness" is imperceptible compared to a theoretical 0% THD + noise signal.

Two amps can have virtually identical distortion measurements and still sound quite different. These electrical signals outputed by different amps may measure identically, but behave differently when driving transducers, and this discrepancy even varies in degree by different headphones. The Sundara, for example, goes from "okay" sounding with my HP amps to completely transformed through my speaker taps. My HE-6se v2 doesn't seem to exhibit quite the same drastic change. It is intriguing.

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #4,247 of 4,251
My Sundara's sound good with my Magni 3+ and even better with my Asgard 3. I pair them with a MMB2 and Loki Mini. Not as much so with my Vali 2++. Where they really lit up was when I put the jumper in my Emotiva BasX A-100 and they got the full power going to the speaker terminals. They love power.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #4,248 of 4,251
Lavricables.
the one i posted in previous posts is spot on, 19,99~ revolving around that price, but from China

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #4,249 of 4,251
Hi all, I am thinking of upgrading to a Fiio K7 BT to power my sundara.
currently using a styleaudio HD1V from eons ago.

Just to check what would be the noticeable difference(s) if I switch to the K7?
Fiio k7 non-BT would do well, as i use it now, but i had fiio k5 pro also, but never tested with Sundara, but i am guessing k5 pro would have done plenty for those cans, juicy enough DAC

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #4,250 of 4,251
i prefer a all-in-one option rather to have separate amp/dac.
Have ordered the K7 BT (because the BT and non-BT options pricing not much difference).
Cant wait for it and thanks all for your inputs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back