Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Apr 18, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #1,036 of 4,250
I wanted to give an update to my journey looking for after market pads now that I've arrived at my destination...
This is an update: Dekoni actually sent out the correct pair of pads free of charge, so now I'm listening with the Dekoni TH-900 Elite Hybrids.

These pads are very, very similar to Sundara's stock pads, which I've figured out are the HIFIMAN PaliPads. They are more or less exactly the same in all dimensions, and the way the ear cavity walls are perforated are largely the same. The differences are:
  • The velour on the Dekoni is the typical sort of slightly fuzzy velour you'd expect on most velour pads. The PaliPad uses a sort of mechanically woven, not-fuzzy-at-all mesh. The PaliPad's mesh looks more premium, but the Dekoni velour is oh-so-soft and better feeling on the skin.
  • The PaliPad has protein leather outer and perforated protein leather inner, while the Dekoni uses real lambskin both outside and along the inner ear cavity wall.
  • The PaliPad uses some sort of regular foam that deforms gradually over use. The Dekoni uses memory foam that much better molds to my face, earlobe, and glasses.
And that's it.

With the felt-tape-modded ZMF Universe pads, the sound was very close to the stock sound, but the deeper ear cavity did make the sound a tad more closed with a tad less microdynamics than with the PaliPad. But with the Dekoni TH900 Elite Hybrids, I literally cannot hear a difference compared to the stock PaliPads. To my ears, they are sonically identical.

However, due to the memory foam, the softer velour, and real lambskin, the Dekoni is more comfortable and higher quality. There you have it: the Dekoni TH-900 Elite Hybrids are my highest recommended aftermarket pads for the Sundara if you want to preserve the Sundara's stock sound while making your ears happier!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #1,037 of 4,250
I always found something satisfying with pad rolling the Hifiman headphones. The Sundara pads are pretty much some of the nicest if not the nicest pads Hifiman has come out with. Think only pair of Hifiman I haven't swapped pads on was the HE-1k for a few reasons.
I agree that the stock PaliPad is the nicest pads HIFIMAN has ever produced. I used them every day for almost two months before pad rolling. However, unless I manually tucked all of my ears into the cavity, the foam just wasn't soft enough to prevent parts of my lobes from hurting after extended listening sessions. The Dekoni memory foam fixes this.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #1,038 of 4,250
I have a question to Mr Hifiman, why are you presenting the Sundara in various shows with the '' PaliPad '' pads, whereas at reception of my Sundara in Europe I had the old focus pads ? Which of course are available in options on the store at $ 49 ! I find this commercial practice hateful, because I based on picture and finaly I have old pads that are particularly unpleasant ...

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/palipad.html

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #1,039 of 4,250
Hmm, so I have a unusually large head, and the Sundara, at its largest band setting, is still a tad snug. I constantly wish the earpads were just a bit lower.

I'm thinking maybe I could cut and remove the faux leather head strap and wrap some sort of leather memory foam padding around the spring steel head band and use the headphone that way. What do people think?

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #1,040 of 4,250
Hmm, so I have a unusually large head, and the Sundara, at its largest band setting, is still a tad snug. I constantly wish the earpads were just a bit lower.

I'm thinking maybe I could cut and remove the faux leather head strap and wrap some sort of leather memory foam padding around the spring steel head band and use the headphone that way. What do people think?

I have a big head and my HE560 is a little small. I push slider over the topmost click but still slightly small.
I just bended head band tighter (at the point above the sliders. bent open at the corner and bent the top area tighter) so the end of the head strap get closer (left to right) which means it fits your head better and the end of the strap comes to a bit lower point.
(to bend the head band so the end of head strap comes near to side of your head)
It helped a little. Ear cups came down slightly and now I can use the sliders at the topmost click. (no need to go over that)
This is HE560 but I think it is the same thing which works at Sundara.

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,041 of 4,250
Not many reviews of these headphones that I (personally) would take seriously on the web. I think the Tyll review is brilliant. (wasn't impressed with his review of the HEX though..) He explains what he wants but very effectively shows objectivity - and ends up putting it on the Wall of Fame even though its not his type of hp :D Anyhow, got these coming tomorrow to give a go. Don't do that many reviews but these are desperate for more! Lets hope the buggers work for starters...

I normally post initial impressions (which are vital!) and then once my brain has accustomed.

Stay tuned if interested :D

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #1,042 of 4,250
My perfect Sundara, headband HE400i with logo paint in black, and second headband Stax Lambda !

20180419_201033.jpg
20180419_201119.jpg
20180419_201157.jpg

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #1,045 of 4,250
The transformation of the headphone is final we can not go back to the original headband, it is also necessary to enlarge the holes on cup Sundara. It is easy to disassemble and reassemble, for me the comfort is much better !

I still do not understand why Hifiman did not keep the old headband ... Ok the design is new, but the comfort is **** and sela complicates the transport of the headphone. With the old models we could put them flat in a bag and it was gone ..

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #1,046 of 4,250
Few very early impressions. Super comfortable and light. They look expensive and look classier than both the HE400i and HEX. Soundwise; really impressed with the imaging - it's pretty much perfect: The HEX go deeper and taller but width is the same. Very airy and open. The bass is also fantastic, deep and uncoloured. Very natural lows that only appear when there are lows in the recording - no added warmth. Mids, I was expecting these to be further back from what I'd read. This is not the case to me, they are flat as the rest of the spectrum. Treble is as extended as it gets and with no irregular peaks (Both my other hifimans have slight irregular peaks). They are bright - they put a huge spotlight on the music, I was concerned to begin with that they may become fatiguing but up to now they haven't. Objectively they are highly detailed and neutral sounding. But I know where Tyll is coming from with the top end.

99% of my listening is classical that's why I had a gut feeling I would like these. I'm not disappointed. If I was into rock or pop I may have found them lacking a bit grunt and beef.

To be continued :)

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #1,047 of 4,250
These are nothing like the HE400i. Other than they sound planar... I haven't heard the 560's so can't comment on them. They're are different to the HEX as well, though the HEX have a more pleasing and natural tonality especially with vocals and solo instruments. The Sundara are actually a little more cohesive as a whole. The HEX are midcentric with an emphasised bottom - the Sundara's are flat throughout and more extended (free sounding). Analytical but pleasing, sharp but not dry... There is nothing I feel that I'm missing in the music. The main difference between the much more expensive model (and has already been mentioned) is the more 3D holographic sound. The Sundaras have depth, but don't have that "around" instrument depth.

The air and detail is what it is about here. These sound high end to me I must add!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back