= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Jan 27, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #573 of 829
Very nice all!

I got mine in place for some beta testing as well. Was going to sand and re-paint next, but I'm on the fence about keeping the mod. I love the soundstage improvement, but I'm losing 1-2db of bass... and at the end of the day, I love the bass more. So I'm torn. Anyway, here's a pic:

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #574 of 829
Just removed the stock mesh. Currently no plans to add another grill but will definitely have to be careful and stores these in the original Hifiman box so that dust doesn't accumulate.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #575 of 829
Very nice all!

I got mine in place for some beta testing as well. Was going to sand and re-paint next, but I'm on the fence about keeping the mod. I love the soundstage improvement, but I'm losing 1-2db of bass... and at the end of the day, I love the bass more. So I'm torn. Anyway, here's a pic:
If you miss the bit of impact lost, turn it up......:p

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #576 of 829
  If you miss the bit of impact lost, turn it up......
tongue.gif

Haha! I'm going to try a medium mesh and add a fabric screen next.

I over-simplified the last post a bit. The fan screens were thicker than I thought, so the sharp edges also create some ringing that would have to be damped out. Too many variables to deal with after I spent so much time tuning the pads to be just right. Masked detail in the bass guitar was just my primary gripe. I'm sure there is a happy medium out there.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #577 of 829
You know, I tested my HE-560 tonight by taking the grills off just to see if I could hear a difference.  I may have, but it was pretty slight.  It could have been placebo.  But for all that, I think I'm going to try the mod anyhow.  If nothing else, some of those mods looks really cool and it's always reversible.  

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #578 of 829
If anyone else has a 400i, I'd like to hear their thoughts on it without the grill to see if they match mine. I won't say how I feel, just to keep it unbiased

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #579 of 829
  If anyone else has a 400i, I'd like to hear their thoughts on it without the grill to see if they match mine. I won't say how I feel, just to keep it unbiased

I wrote a long post on that in the 'grill mod' thread a long time ago.
I think the HE-400i and the HE-560 benefited equally from the mod and thus the difference remained more or less the same. The 400i might have benefited ever so slightly more if I remember right.

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #580 of 829
Preliminary pics of my regrill.

The organza is burgundy but it looks too pink so I might just go with black. I haven't glued it on yet or trimmed it fully.

I also broke one of the suns and had to glue it together so it looks a little janky on one side. Debating whether to replace it or not.

EDIT - Phone spelling errors

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #581 of 829
Preliminary pics of my regrill.

The organza is burgundy but it looks too pink so I might just go with black. I havent glued it on yet or trimmed it fully.

I also broke one of the suns and had to glue it together so it looks a little hanky on one side. Debating whether yo replace it of not.

Congrats!  They remind me of mine 
wink.gif

I still have the red organza on my HE-500s, but I switched to a silvery lavender color on the HE-560s.  There were so many colors from which to choose, I let my wife have the final vote.  For me, black organza didn't allow the the grills to stand out, which was the whole point.  YMMV, of course.

I also snapped one grill at one point in the middle - very annoying 
mad.gif
 - but after some super glue, sanding, and a new coat of spray paint, I couldn't tell.  So it may be worth repairing.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #582 of 829
Congrats!  They remind me of mine :wink:

I still have the red organza on my HE-500s, but I switched to a silvery lavender color on the HE-560s.  There were so many colors from which to choose, I let my wife have the final vote.  For me, black organza didn't allow the the grills to stand out, which was the whole point.  YMMV, of course.

I also snapped one grill at one point in the middle - very annoying :mad:  - but after some super glue, sanding, and a new coat of spray paint, I couldn't tell.  So it may be worth repairing.

Do you have a picture of the silver? :)

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #583 of 829

Congrats!  They remind me of mine 
wink.gif

I also snapped one grill at one point in the middle - very annoying 
mad.gif
 - but after some super glue, sanding, and a new coat of spray paint, I couldn't tell.  So it may be worth repairing.

Yeah, I was hoping the red would be a lot darker as I wasn't crazy about the red on yours (no offense).  I'm thinking about adding a 2nd layer of organza, but I'm worried that might affect the sound too much.

And yeah, I might go ahead and sand down the gluey parts and respray it.  Worse comes to worst, I'll completely screw it up and buy a new one, which is pretty much my only other option right now anyhow.

Unless I find a really nice color for the organza, I might not even keep the mod.  The sonic benefits are really questionable on the HE-560 (vs the older HiFiMans) and I think the stock looks is rather sharp.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #584 of 829
Do you have a picture of the silver?
smily_headphones1.gif

Somewhere 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Thought you could see them in a recent photo, but seems not.  I'll try to dig one up.

Easier to take new ones:

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #585 of 829
I did the fabric mod yesterday on my HE-400i and can hear an amazing difference in soundstage. But I broke the plastic ring holding in the grill on one speaker. Has anyone any success getting a replacement from Hifiman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back