= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
May 28, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #601 of 829
Personally, I think those tabs on the outside really bother me. It looks like you were not able to use the trim ring due to it being too thick?

Yeah, the Inspired Laser Designs plastic 80mm computer fan grill material is about 1/8" thick and no way could you use the stock HFM holder with them. The depth is actually exactly right for the HFM undercut and look good IMO.

As stated, the tabs are trimmed and press fit in place.  Hold extremely well, as I've sent a friend's HE-6 across the country via UPS with them in place after I did the mod for him and no movement.

May 28, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #603 of 829
Yeah, the Inspired Laser Designs plastic 80mm computer fan grill material is about 1/8" thick and no way could you use the stock HFM holder with them. The depth is actually exactly right for the HFM undercut and look good IMO.

As stated, the tabs are trimmed and press fit in place.  Hold extremely well, as I've sent a friend's HE-6 across the country via UPS with them in place after I did the mod for him and no movement.

Same here, they fit snugly without movement.

May 28, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #604 of 829
  How easy is it to trim those Inspired Laser design grills?

I used a hacksaw to trim them initially, then a couple files (rough, then finer) to reduce and shape them.  With those tools, it's quite easy.  Prior to the hacksaw I tried a couple three knives, but it was painfully slow.  If you measure first, then mark (with a knife or whatever), you can avoid cutting off too much of the tabs.

May 28, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #605 of 829

Simple.  I used a side cutter to precut them close to the diameter needed (KEY point as if you go too small they are ruined), then used a bench grinder to fine tune the fit.  They are a very tight press fit.

Jun 1, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #606 of 829

Simple.  I used a side cutter to precut them close to the diameter needed (KEY point as if you go too small they are ruined), then used a bench grinder to fine tune the fit.  They are a very tight press fit.

What was the original size of the grill? Inspired Laser design offers several choices, e.g. 80mm, 92mm etc.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #607 of 829
  What was the original size of the grill? Inspired Laser design offers several choices, e.g. 80mm, 92mm etc.

80mm is the size to order from them. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #609 of 829
i just tried the grill mod and listen without grill .... there is a difference all in all......( But the possibilities to damage the driver or to put dust in  is not worth the slight improvement in the higher frequencies ) BUT if you want to transform really the he 400..... its not this mod not the velour pad  mod but the greatest mod i had try is  this one :   12 patches of sorbothane (1/8 inches 30 duro ) around the exterior of each  cup of the he 400 transform it greatly, more major improvement than the grill mod or velour pad.....i now prefer he 400 to my basic stax system (at least the he 400  are different but on par with it)

.....(no more v-shaped, more u-shaped,less recessed mids, better soundstage) This mod alter anything, this is self gluing sorbothane cut from a sorbothane sheet.....the most important mod probably for headphone and the least costly with no works , very simple is explained on this most important thread  :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-resonance-distortion-of-stax-phones-with-sorbothane-lambdas-srxiii-pro-sr003-sr007-and-finally-the-sigma

the discovery on this thread apply to any headphones not only stax....
biggrin.gif

IMPORTANT UPDATE : the duro 70  is better for audio damping....for details read the thread on sorbothane

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #611 of 829
Yes. Remove both fibres and foam from outer grill of the HE-6.

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #613 of 829
  If anyone else has a 400i, I'd like to hear their thoughts on it without the grill to see if they match mine. I won't say how I feel, just to keep it unbiased

I off the grill, but I'm not sure is an improvement. The soundstage now seems little bigger but not realistic.
I do appreciate more soundstage only with classical music, but is not the headphone for that kind of listening (however the Bethoveen 5th has good punch and enough detail).

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #615 of 829
  what's the red material? is that a dust cover?

I got a few colors of organza from a local fabric store.  It's nice and thin, while providing adequate dust protection.  It easy to apply with some spray adhesive or carefully applied glue stick glue, so you can test with no protection vs. organza.  It also hides the internals somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back