= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Mar 10, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #586 of 829
  I did the fabric mod yesterday on my HE-400i and can hear an amazing difference in soundstage. But I broke the plastic ring holding in the grill on one speaker. Has anyone any success getting a replacement from Hifiman?

Pretty sure I've read about a couple people who managed to get a pair for $10 + shipping.  I'm not sure they convinced HFM on the first try, but succeeded after two or more emails.  Good luck!

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #587 of 829
Attempt 2 at the grill mod, and this time was a big success. I used a file holder from Target and put layers of organza on both sides. Finally got the sound right where I want it - extra sound stage and air without a noticeable loss of bass quantity. Here's a pic:

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #588 of 829
I have to thanks to jerg or whoever starts these mod.  Since I have been quite happy with my HE-6 for several years, I rarely worried about modding it even though these mods posted by jerg has been known to me for a long time.

Today, just out of curiosity I took out the stock HE-6 grill, felt, and the cotton blob and started to listen it without anything on the side of driver.  My chain was USB -> AudioGD DI -> BNC -> Ref-7 -> Aleph 3 (recapped) -> HE-6.

Initially, I started to hear some "unfamiliar" details all over the background and pinpoint stuff at foreground in my familiar soundtracks such as Tron Legacy and Oblivion.  After some A/B test, I realized those details was always there but they were diffused/blurred slightly by the grill and dampen material.

Then, I was kind of surprised by the amount of sub-bass, which seemed to be more than usual.  It is especially true for the Oblivion soundtrack.  The bass impact is also much fast and crispier.   At this moment, I was kind of persuaded.  (Some measurement on frequency response confirmed this.)

I was a little bit worry and afraid HE-6 may be too bright without those dampen material.  However, i was surprised there was no hint of unpleasant brightness in my system, which must be the merit of Ref-7 and Aleph 3.  :)

Finally, I switched to my Classical collection.  Usually, I found HE-6 sound a little bit "porous" and "rough".  That was why I preferred my Stax setup with classical.  However, the boundless immensity and endless dynamic range was HE-6 only and Stax cannot touch it.  But this time Classical with HE-6 sounded completely different.  I tried some Bach two piano concerto and violin concerto first.  There was no hint of any porosity and fine graininess anymore.  The piano and violin sound very clean, condense, and accurately positioned.   Very interesting! 

Then, I tried Hillary Hahn's Bach solo violin.  I was totally "stunned" by the sweet and fine decay from the violin and the room echo.  The soundstage and positioning were so accurate, I can "visualize" Hillary's movement.  Wow!  I have never heard such thing in my HE-6 system, even after owning it for more than 3 years.

Now I believed!

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #589 of 829
  I have to thanks to jerg or whoever starts these mod.  Since I have been quite happy with my HE-6 for several years, I rarely worried about modding it even though these mods posted by jerg has been known to me for a long time.

Today, just out of curiosity I took out the stock HE-6 grill, felt, and the cotton blob and started to listen it without anything on the side of driver.  My chain was USB -> AudioGD DI -> BNC -> Ref-7 -> Aleph 3 (recapped) -> HE-6.

Initially, I started to hear some "unfamiliar" details all over the background and pinpoint stuff at foreground in my familiar soundtracks such as Tron Legacy and Oblivion.  After some A/B test, I realized those details was always there but they were diffused/blurred slightly by the grill and dampen material.

Then, I was kind of surprised by the amount of sub-bass, which seemed to be more than usual.  It is especially true for the Oblivion soundtrack.  The bass impact is also much fast and crispier.   At this moment, I was kind of persuaded.  (Some measurement on frequency response confirmed this.)

I was a little bit worry and afraid HE-6 may be too bright without those dampen material.  However, i was surprised there was no hint of unpleasant brightness in my system, which must be the merit of Ref-7 and Aleph 3.  :)

Finally, I switched to my Classical collection.  Usually, I found HE-6 sound a little bit "porous" and "rough".  That was why I preferred my Stax setup with classical.  However, the boundless immensity and endless dynamic range was HE-6 only and Stax cannot touch it.  But this time Classical with HE-6 sounded completely different.  I tried some Bach two piano concerto and violin concerto first.  There was no hint of any porosity and fine graininess anymore.  The piano and violin sound very clean, condense, and accurately positioned.   Very interesting! 

Then, I tried Hillary Hahn's Bach solo violin.  I was totally "stunned" by the sweet and fine decay from the violin and the room echo.  The soundstage and positioning were so accurate, I can "visualize" Hillary's movement.  Wow!  I have never heard such thing in my HE-6 system, even after owning it for more than 3 years.

Now I believed!

Isn`t it crazy?  After my HE-6 mods, my HD800 was sold within a week.  It makes me wonder about the HE-1000: as much I am looking forward to seeing it/hearing it, I can `t help but wonder if it isn`t just a production version of the modded HE-6!.  

Are you going to try some other pads?  I found the Audeze pads improve comfort and hold the drivers slightly farther away from ear, which ads yet more sonic bliss.  

d

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #590 of 829
Yes, maybe a new pad would be a good next step, although it is not free.  
wink_face.gif

May 27, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #591 of 829

loooookin goooood.  I'm loving the new look to my HE-560's. matching Norne Zoetic Cable. 

May 27, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #594 of 829
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3FJYSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

note: one side looks finished, the backside is NOT finished and will be the side you sand down to lower profile.

i bought one sheet of this...made templates... cut them out carefully with precision wire snips...a dremel and thin sanding disc.... I had to shave down the thickness of the last 3-4mm where the grill rests into the he-560 cup...basically get the last 3-4mm of the circle to be abou 1mm thick. then..... I used some gorilla glue, applied very little across the backside of the grille... took the stock he-560 fabric filters off.... soaked them in water and shook them out a little.... layed the wet fabric on top of the gorilla glue side (backside of course).  Don't try to apply the fabric to the glue when dry...it won't stick as well and will likely look like crap. just BE SURE to drop the fabric dead on center where you want it the first time without shifting around. let it dry about 30 min and put it all back together. Now you have a pair of HE-560's that look better than Ether's IMHO.  

this project requires patience....also
dremel tool and misc bits
low profile wire snips (optional)
sharpie marker 
gorilla glue
and the above linked aluminum grille material from amazon.

project takes about an hour.

May 27, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #596 of 829
I personally like what it has done for the sound stage. Further opened it up with a wider feel. It's not dramatic but more subtle. I didn't notice any lack or loss of bass.
The template I made was from the existing grilles. Remember to not cut them too short. It's easy to Dremel off little bits as needed while comparing its size to the original grill a few times during the shaping process. Also... This is aluminum, not steel like the originals. It's lighter!! But also easier to bend the honeycomb shape on the ends.

I chose silver or bare aluminum over the painted versions. Since it requires sanding anyways, it's better to paint after all the sanding if you do decide to paint them black, or maybe gold or copper even!
I prefer silver to match the stitching and type.

May 28, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #599 of 829
May 28, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #600 of 829
Personally, I think those tabs on the outside really bother me. It looks like you were not able to use the trim ring due to it being too thick?

unfortunately those tabs that protrude are what hold it in place via friction. If i trimmed it down to the large grill it wouldn't fit as its smaller than the stock grill. 

If i were to do it again, i would try to find some quality honeycomb mesh instead, although having said that, i don't mind them so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back