= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Dec 31, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #556 of 829
Can I do the regrilling mod with the fuzzor mod or am I just supposed to do either or?

You can do both, they compliment each other, IMO.

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #558 of 829
Document stand at Staples huh? Could you gimme a link? I'm getting the HE-500 next monday hopefully, or even better, tomorrow, but I want to know what all the materials I'm gonna need are. I think audiophile and perfectionist compliment one qnother.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #559 of 829
If I'd been smart I would have taken a photo or written what it was actually called. It looked sort of like this and was sized to hold 8.5x11 documents. Located near things like "inbox trays" for documents and so forth.

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #560 of 829
  If I'd been smart I would have taken a photo or written what it was actually called. It looked sort of like this and was sized to hold 8.5x11 documents. Located near things like "inbox trays" for documents and so forth.

Your artwork actually helped me to understand what you were talking about, thanks! :p

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #561 of 829
  Just did this, great instructions; worked perfectly the first time. Hate to state the obvious, but "really opens up the HE-6." I found a document stand at Staples that was made of the wastebasket mesh but had the advantage that it was completely flat. Thanks for the guide!

I bought a folder tray from Staples and did exactly the same thing. Thank Jerg for the guide!

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #564 of 829
  Here are a few preliminary shots of one of the grills I got from InspiredLaserDesign (also on eBay and Amazon, though the latter is more expensive).  I'll post more pix later.  If anyone's curious about the process, just reply and I'll write up something.

Most importantly, sound-wise I have no complaints.

As usual, they look better in person.  I do love the way the flat black spray paint matches the outside part of the cups.  I purposefully left a little overhanging organza, which you can see in the gap between cup and grills.  It's easily trimmed, which I'll probably do to clean up the look.  No going back if I'd trimmed it initially.

The wife approves of the overall aesthetic.

Fair Warning: They are delicate little buggers.

@ThurstonX - How did you actually attach the InspiredLaserDesign fan grills to the HE500? I can't find it anywhere in this thread.

Also, how did you attach the fabric to the grill? Spray mount?  

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #565 of 829
  @ThurstonX - How did you actually attach the InspiredLaserDesign fan grills to the HE500? I can't find it anywhere in this thread.

Just friction.  I filed down the four nubs left over from removing the mounting supports, checking the progress quite often by trying to fit the grill into place.  I started with a larger, rougher file, then switched to a smaller finer file for the fine tuning.  It occurred to me that if one were to over-file such that the grills would not stay in place via friction, one could apply some electrical tape or whatever to make up the space.  It should also be possible to use double-stick tape on the underside to get them to stay in place, though removal would be marginally more difficult.  Fortunately, I haven't had to put those theories to the test, but figured they're worth mentioning.

re: the fabric, I started with spray mount, but it was a really old can, so its adhesive properties may have been lacking.  That, or the small amount of acrylic and the thin fabric may have caused a few parts to come loose.  I used a fine tipped cosmetic swab (more precise than a regular Q-Tip) to pick up the glue from a cheap-o glue stick, then carefully applied it.  If you're not careful with glue sticks, etc., the glue may become visible on the outward facing side between the cutouts in the acrylic.  That's a PITA to clean out.

HTH.

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #566 of 829

@ThurstonX
 - How did you actually attach the InspiredLaserDesign fan grills to the HE500? I can't find it anywhere in this thread.

Just friction.  I filed down the four nubs left over from removing the mounting supports, checking the progress quite often by trying to fit the grill into place.  I started with a larger, rougher file, then switched to a smaller finer file for the fine tuning.  It occurred to me that if one were to over-file such that the grills would not stay in place via friction, one could apply some electrical tape or whatever to make up the space.  It should also be possible to use double-stick tape on the underside to get them to stay in place, though removal would be marginally more difficult.  Fortunately, I haven't had to put those theories to the test, but figured they're worth mentioning.

re: the fabric, I started with spray mount, but it was a really old can, so its adhesive properties may have been lacking.  That, or the small amount of acrylic and the thin fabric may have caused a few parts to come loose.  I used a fine tipped cosmetic swab (more precise than a regular Q-Tip) to pick up the glue from a cheap-o glue stick, then carefully applied it.  If you're not careful with glue sticks, etc., the glue may become visible on the outward facing side between the cutouts in the acrylic.  That's a PITA to clean out.

HTH.

That is super helpful. Thank you!

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #567 of 829
Thanks for these instructions and all the tips : excellent forum contributions !  

I decided to go with GOLD, because, I guess I`m just that kind of guy . . .  .

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #569 of 829
  Thanks for these instructions and all the tips : excellent forum contributions !  

I decided to go with GOLD, because, I guess I`m just that kind of guy . . .  .

Looks great.  I think the HE-6 deserves gold 
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #570 of 829
I know some of you have used Laser Designs for your grill mod.  I got a few of their 80mm items and modded them to fit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back