= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Oct 26, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #526 of 829
Grill less, I have car grills in mine, actually come too think of it, they were a recommendation from Thurston! I did really like my 560's naked, but for safety sake I added open grills. What do you prefer about the open grill sound?

Thurston, good luck on changing laptop screens, definitely out of my league, unless it comes as a whole and you just have to wire it together (or since your a fellow Southerner Duct Tape will do) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, and attach the hinges, then I might give it a shot. Let me know how it goes, my youngest Daughter spilled something on mine, and one of the corners is a wee bit funky, so if it's not difficult, I'll give it a shot.

I do like those Custom Car Grill aluminum grills, so they may get switched back in eventually, just to keep it interesting.  Glad they're working out for ya 
beerchug.gif
  And I pay tribute to the Head-Fier who first mentioned them!

Thanks.  I've disassembled a few laptops to do repairs or replace dying components, so I can do the mod, just hoping it'll work.  There's evidence it does, and the replacement part is seemingly identical in dimension and design to what I'm staring at right now.

I know about spilling things on laptops.  I was Skyping with my future wife when I knocked over a glass of wine onto an old HP Pavilion.  Ended up buying a system board from a FL eBayer.  The board was from Poland, I think (had -PL at the end; definitely from Europe).  One RAM slot is flaky, so I'm stuck at 2 GB, but damned if it's not still running.  And it's new name: Drunken Laptop 
biggrin.gif
  We still smile about it when I drag it out for occasional use.

If you can track down the Maintenance/Service Manual for yours, and then feel confident about disassembling it, it's doable, as long as you can find the part(s).  There are a couple good sites for laptop screens.

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #527 of 829
^ It's an ASUS, do you know a good source for parts and potentially a service manual? So Thurston, is your Wife European? Mine is Ukranian, though we meet here in the States. She was my Nurse after one of my many knee operations, when she gave me that shot of Dilauded, it was love, or at least something close too it. We Skype with my In-Laws frequently.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #528 of 829

I'll try to find the pix of my other pair of grills that use a different color.

Perspex.... uh oh.  Time for you to do the 'splainin'.  I know what it is (had to learn, being a fan of Robyn Hitchcock; see, Perspex Island).  Most Yanks won't know.

Lol, oops that's a kleenex moment right there. Perspex is a local acrylic supplier.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #529 of 829
Lol, oops that's a kleenex moment right there. Perspex is a local acrylic supplier.

Kleenex moment... love it.  I'm tearing up.  I think I need a... tissue :wink:  As names go, that's not a bad one for an acrylic supplier.  If/when you get it, show us what you go.

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #530 of 829
Hey, guys.

I think I found a type of fabric that would sound almost entirely open: bird's cage protective skirt/cover.

It attenuates very little of what a fully open grill would cover, and will still give more protection than having no fabric at all.

Fully enjoying my grill-modded HE-560 right now. My only regret now is not listening to you folks when you told me to do it.

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #531 of 829
  Hey, guys.

I think I found a type of fabric that would sound almost entirely open: bird's cage protective skirt/cover.

It attenuates very little of what a fully open grill would cover, and will still give more protection than having no fabric at all.

Fully enjoying my grill-modded HE-560 right now. My only regret now is not listening to you folks when you told me to do it.

Interesting, thanks for the tip.

No  regrets.  I think you're HE-560s have a wee bit o' life left in them 
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #532 of 829

Interesting, thanks for the tip.

No  regrets.  I think you're HE-560s have a wee bit o' life left in them 
wink.gif

Yeah... I thought of all types of fabric, and then I thought... what about those covers they usually put on bird's cages?

If it is thin enough for the birds to survive, it should be thin enough to let air in while offering decent protection.

And I was right.

This HE-560 is about 99% the way to becoming my end-game setup. The 1% is when I finally finish my DIY amp and make a final build of it to match the aesthetics of the headphone. And then I'll be done.
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #533 of 829

Yeah... I thought of all types of fabric, and then I thought... what about those covers they usually put on bird's cages?

If it is thin enough for the birds to survive, it should be thin enough to let air in while offering decent protection.

And I was right.

This HE-560 is about 99% the way to becoming my end-game setup. The 1% is when I finally finish my DIY amp and make a final build of it to match the aesthetics of the headphone. And then I'll be done.
beerchug.gif

Time for you to update your avatar pic then 
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #534 of 829
  Time for you to update your avatar pic then 
tongue.gif

Yeah, I've been lazy. 
redface.gif

Honestly, though, my memories may not be the best, but... I heard a Stax SR-009 like... 2 days ago.

And this HE-560 sounds almost like the SR-009. The difference is probably less than 5% in speed and extra detail retrieval. I think that difference comes down to the HE-560 being such a smooth and lush performer, so it trades speed for a more organic presentation, which I'd prefer all the time.

But those are just from memories. If there is a chance any time soon, I'll definitely do a thorough comparison.

And all things considered, I'm confident my modded HE-560 can handily beat the HE-6.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #535 of 829

Yeah, I've been lazy. 
redface.gif

Honestly, though, my memories may not be the best, but... I heard a Stax SR-009 like... 2 days ago.

And this HE-560 sounds almost like the SR-009. The difference is probably less than 5% in speed and extra detail retrieval. I think that difference comes down to the HE-560 being such a smooth and lush performer, so it trades speed for a more organic presentation, which I'd prefer all the time.

But those are just from memories. If there is a chance any time soon, I'll definitely do a thorough comparison.

And all things considered, I'm confident my modded HE-560 can handily beat the HE-6.

Stock HE-6? Most likely.
Highly doubt it modded vs modded.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #536 of 829

Stock HE-6? Most likely.

Actually, we will have to see.

Depending on the implementation of the mod, the HE-560 does have an edge in acoustics thanks to its single-sided magnet structure.

Even at stock, I still prefer the HE-560 to the HE-6's somewhat hotter and more peaky treble behavior.

Also I think the HE-560 has better bass extension. The HE-6 has very good impact, but not a lot of sub bass.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #537 of 829

Actually, we will have to see.

Depending on the implementation of the mod, the HE-560 does have an edge in acoustics thanks to its single-sided magnet structure.

Even at stock, I still prefer the HE-560 to the HE-6's somewhat hotter and more peaky treble behavior.

Also I think the HE-560 has better bass extension. The HE-6 has very good impact, but not a lot of sub bass.

True on all accounts.

Yet, the HE-6 has (much) better texture rendition and overall weight to the sound. Really, on the Ragnarok there's no comparison between my modded HE-6 and stock HE-560 (either pads).
HE-6's sound-stage is deeper, but HE-560 does transient and imaging better (focus); too bad it does not have that depth and weight. More stat-like for sure.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #538 of 829
  True on all accounts.

Yet, the HE-6 has (much) better texture rendition and overall weight to the sound. Really, on the Ragnarok there's no comparison between my modded HE-6 and stock HE-560 (either pads).
HE-6's sound-stage is deeper, but HE-560 does transient and imaging better (focus); too bad it does not have that depth and weight. More stat-like for sure.

The mod I posted for HE560 (specifically, part 3 of it) gives it better tautness/texture and weight on the low end.

I have a guess that the imaging depth of HE6 is due to the strategically-placed foam pieces on its drivers, just a hypothesis though.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #539 of 829
Stock HE-6? Most likely.

Totally agree. Had them both side-by-side with my Pioneer Spec amps HE6 clearly was better to me out of speaker taps. Then I modded the HE-6.....

To each their own tho.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #540 of 829
  True on all accounts.

I wouldn't say the HE-6 has much better texture rendition and overall weight, because I did compare a stock HE-560 and HE-6 just a few days ago. The differences between them just boil down to:

HE-6 has less sub bass, HE-560 has more bass extension (likely the cause for some saying its bass is "slower")
HE-6 has a higher treble peak, resulting in a sharper tone, HE-560 is softer with regards to the peak, resulting in a more rounded sound that's easier to listen to.

All else being equal, they sound almost exactly the same.

I'd pick the HE-560 over the HE-6 anyway because it is far more comfortable, and the softer treble peak allows a greater genre bandwidth since I don't have to be reserved about bad recordings with inherent treble peaks. Plus in a sense, the HE-560 sounds more neutral to me than the HE-6, which has a slight V-shape sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back