= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Nov 10, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #541 of 829
thanks to ThurstonX I was very happy to NOT touch panty hose material.
and indeed, the grills from him were SO easy to press-n-install, it actually felt like too simple of a process to be labelled a legit "mod".

hope this photo shows the quality fit:

How is the sound with this grill?
Where to get this..and what meterial is made of...

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #542 of 829
How is the sound with this grill?
Where to get this..and what meterial is made of...

I like the sound.  It's flamin' hot!  See this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-regrilling-mod/480#post_10867657

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #544 of 829
  ThurstonX

thanks for the link...
do you mean that the one in the website will fit He560 without any mod?
Interested in getting a pair.

rgds

No, it takes some work to mod the acrylic fan grills to get them to fit.  I thought I posted the steps in this thread.  Have a search (Advanced on my name).  If not, I'm sure I PM'd the steps to someone, so PM me and I'll try to dig it up.

Briefly, you'll need to trim the fan mounts (I used a hacksaw; perfect tool), then carefully file them down until the grills slide in with enough friction to hold them in place.  Carefully sanding (medium, then fine) the top sides is recommended, as they're unlikely to come through unscathed.  The sanding makes it easier to spray paint.  I used a flat black, which is what you see in the photos.  Attaching a dust screen is a matter of taste, but I used spray adhesive to stick the organza fabric.  It was a little hit and miss, so I touched up jexby's with a little glue stick paste strategically applied with a cotton swab.

HTH.

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #546 of 829
Okay, I'm looking to create a few new sets of grills for me and a friend. The latest hexagon mesh that I've sourced makes snapping the retaining rings back in near impossible.

Can I get some suggestions on material to use that is thin enough to allow the retaining rings to snap in easily?

thanks...

Matt

Also, if someone has a micometer and could measure the thickness of the original grills I'd be grateful.

http://www.amazon.com/CCG-Perforated-Grill-Mesh-Sheet/dp/B00F3FJYSQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417008232&sr=8-2&keywords=honeycomb+metal+mesh

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #547 of 829
Also, if someone has a micometer and could measure the thickness of the original grills I'd be grateful.

I measured 4 places and got between 0.34 and 0.38 mm.

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #548 of 829

No, it takes some work to mod the acrylic fan grills to get them to fit.  I thought I posted the steps in this thread.  Have a search (Advanced on my name).  If not, I'm sure I PM'd the steps to someone, so PM me and I'll try to dig it up.

Briefly, you'll need to trim the fan mounts (I used a hacksaw; perfect tool), then carefully file them down until the grills slide in with enough friction to hold them in place.  Carefully sanding (medium, then fine) the top sides is recommended, as they're unlikely to come through unscathed.  The sanding makes it easier to spray paint.  I used a flat black, which is what you see in the photos.  Attaching a dust screen is a matter of taste, but I used spray adhesive to stick the organza fabric.  It was a little hit and miss, so I touched up jexby's with a little glue stick paste strategically applied with a cotton swab.

HTH.

Can you quickly confirm the diameter you ordered from stock or did you order a custom diameter?

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #551 of 829
I just found this thread and decided to give it a try.  Popping off the outer ring is easy, just be careful and go slow. I removed just the cloth and put it back together.  My initial impressions is that the treble was indeed cleaned up.

Regarding replacing the outer grill: wouldn't it be just as effective to drill several holes in the stock grill instead of replacing it?  If the goal is to get more air moving in-and-out then that ought to do the trick just as well.

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #552 of 829
I just found this thread and decided to give it a try.  Popping off the outer ring is easy, just be careful and go slow. I removed just the cloth and put it back together.  My initial impressions is that the treble was indeed cleaned up.

Regarding replacing the outer grill: wouldn't it be just as effective to drill several holes in the stock grill instead of replacing it?  If the goal is to get more air moving in-and-out then that ought to do the trick just as well.

You could, but, I think most want to save the old grills so they can return the HP's to stock in case they sell them or need to return them to be serviced.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #553 of 829

Give the fuzzor mod a shot, that really cleans up the treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back