Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Dec 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #616 of 862
I picked up the RE 262's a few months ago and have thoroughly enjoyed them. At times I think the quality of their sound rivals that of my home setup, macbook pro -> dac19 -> DNA Sonett -> DT880 600 ohm! Specifically, the organic liquid mids are incredible. The highs are just right - not too harsh - and the bass is definitely noticeable. I could see how one might want a little more bass at times, though. I just picked up a pair of Klipsch x10's so I'm interested to see how they compare (supposedly they're really bass heavy). I will A/B them against a pair of UE Triple Fi 10's in the near future. I had the RE0's before and the 262's are a definite step up in my book - they're much more full of life. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #617 of 862
Yeah, I'm still enjoying these IEMs.  I recently sold off my Hifiman HM-601 and went to a iPhone 4s + cMoyBB set-up.  The cMoy puts a little more less-colored, power into the 262s.  Loving the 262's even more now.  At $150 the 262 are making it tough to try another IEM.

Quote:
I picked up the RE 262's a few months ago and have thoroughly enjoyed them. At times I think the quality of their sound rivals that of my home setup, macbook pro -> dac19 -> DNA Sonett -> DT880 600 ohm! Specifically, the organic liquid mids are incredible. The highs are just right - not too harsh - and the bass is definitely noticeable. I could see how one might want a little more bass at times, though. I just picked up a pair of Klipsch x10's so I'm interested to see how they compare (supposedly they're really bass heavy). I will A/B them against a pair of UE Triple Fi 10's in the near future. I had the RE0's before and the 262's are a definite step up in my book - they're much more full of life. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #618 of 862
Just bought these headphones from Head-Direct. There service was awesome. Got it on 12/24 on a saturday.
Now the only problem is, I can't seem to be wowed yet! This is my first set of IEM high end headphones. I can't seem to be overly wowed! Does a FiioE11 amp really change this thing to a beast? Help!

Dec 25, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #619 of 862
I don't know about the E11 but the 262 does require an amp to bring out the dynamics.  You can use it un-amp'd but I was never wow'd doing it that way.   I'm using a JDS cMoyBB portable amp and it really brings the 262 to life.  Until amp'd it's just a sleeping beauty......

Quote:
Just bought these headphones from Head-Direct. There service was awesome. Got it on 12/24 on a saturday.
Now the only problem is, I can't seem to be wowed yet! This is my first set of IEM high end headphones. I can't seem to be overly wowed! Does a FiioE11 amp really change this thing to a beast? Help!

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #620 of 862
btw , allow 100 listening hours to pass before full judgement on the 262

burn-in is a reality , imo

and yeah , these need a good amp to really shine

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #621 of 862
Yeah, I've been letting it run on my ipod for about 10 hrs now. i'm thinking about letting it burn some more for the rest of today and tomorrow.
I think my music are a little "muddy" (not sure if that's the right word, but not clear and crisp). Is it either my music quality isn't high enough (128bits) or I need a amp to clear the sound?

Dec 25, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #622 of 862
The both, you have to use at less 320kbps or better FLAC files, you also need amp, the impedance is 150 ohm for a sensitivity of 95db, not the easier IEM to drive.

Quote:
Yeah, I've been letting it run on my ipod for about 10 hrs now. i'm thinking about letting it burn some more for the rest of today and tomorrow.
I think my music are a little "muddy" (not sure if that's the right word, but not clear and crisp). Is it either my music quality isn't high enough (128bits) or I need a amp to clear the sound?

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #624 of 862
128 kbps for use with a 262 ?

oh man , this is like having a ferrari and putting gas of 30% purity

do yourself a favour and flac/320kbps your tracks

and you will enjoy it even without an amp

but at 128 kbps...you are simply commiting sonic suicide.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #625 of 862
I just picked up the 262 a couple of days ago unlike most people here, I don't really like them. I'm still burning them in but I'm doubtful they will change enough for me to keep them. They just sound... muffled I guess is the best word for it. As if someone was holding a pillow over it. I'm wondering if I did the foam reposition mod or just took it out all together if it would help? Is it correct to say that you can't tell that you've taken the foam out once you replace it (so I could still return them after)? They are a little off of my normal sound sig (I'm coming from q-jays/re-zeros) but idk they just sound bad to me. Makes me wonder if it's a fit/seal issue...

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #626 of 862
Well they aren't for everyone but they shouldn't sound muffled.  They are actually very transparent.  Have you tried the biflange tips?  With a proper seal they should sound very clear.  You still may not like them but at least you'll know you had the proper fit.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #627 of 862

Quote:
I just picked up the 262 a couple of days ago unlike most people here, I don't really like them. I'm still burning them in but I'm doubtful they will change enough for me to keep them. They just sound... muffled I guess is the best word for it. As if someone was holding a pillow over it. I'm wondering if I did the foam reposition mod or just took it out all together if it would help? Is it correct to say that you can't tell that you've taken the foam out once you replace it (so I could still return them after)? They are a little off of my normal sound sig (I'm coming from q-jays/re-zeros) but idk they just sound bad to me. Makes me wonder if it's a fit/seal issue...

If it is not the sound signature you like, I doubt foam mod will really help. By the look of your previous IEM, you are probably more of an analytical listener.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #628 of 862
Hey V4,

I'm with SS, in that they shouldn't sound muffled, but when I had my 262s, well at first yuck! and was also super doubtful that they would change aswell, and the only reason that I knew that they would was, that my first pair was bought second hand from the sales forum, and so they didn't need alot of play time to sound totally awesome!!! the second hand pair started out mediocre, but after 2 days of intense play time, and after I went to listen to them in morning, whalla! it was a night and day difference, these are IEMs that I can live with, kasweet!! and then the worst happend, just as quickly as I fell in love with the sound, the right side quit on me, AAHHHHG! talk about bummed, but I jumped thru some hoops and Head-Fi replaced them with a brand new pair, awesome customer service! and thats when I found myself where your at now, yuck! and wholly SH!T whats going on, man I wanted those second hand pair back!! but I got to working on them and slowly but surely these 150 imp IEMs started to come around! just like the first pair I had, they just needed ALOT of burn in time, I started getting satisfied with them after around 150 hours of use, I played them nightly with all kinds of funky stuff, some times at full blast, and listened to them during the day with what I like to listen to, and then when after they started to opened up, wholly cow! did they ever! and I fell in love with them! one thing that also helped in opening up the sound was modding the large bi-flange tips, I cut the bottom flange off and trimmed it flush, it helped with a better fit, and it seems like the longer stem of the bi-flange helps with the sound also, in fact although I no longer have the 262s, I sold them off after hearing the EX600s! I still use the large bi-flange tips and filters along with my 600s, in fact I've bought two more sets, and I no longer have to mod them, as my ears have enlarged and can easily accomidate them nicely! I hope some of this helps, happy listening!

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #629 of 862

Quote:
Well they aren't for everyone but they shouldn't sound muffled.  They are actually very transparent.  Have you tried the biflange tips?  With a proper seal they should sound very clear.  You still may not like them but at least you'll know you had the proper fit.

Ok I just played around with these for a couple more hours and decided to throw some complys on em and was finally able to hear them properly - they are much clearer. I knew something had to be wrong...
blink.gif
so it was definitely a seal issue - I went back and tried all the stock tips again and the only ones I was able to get a proper seal with were the large bi-flanges but even then it won't stay very well if I move, and they hurt my ears cuz I have to twist them in so hard. I've never had this problem with other IEMs, I just dont think these fit my ears very well.

Quote:
If it is not the sound signature you like, I doubt foam mod will really help. By the look of your previous IEM, you are probably more of an analytical listener.

Yeah I wanted to try something a little different
redface.gif

Quote:
Hey V4,

I'm with SS, in that they shouldn't sound muffled, but when I had my 262s, well at first yuck! and was also super doubtful that they would change aswell, and the only reason that I knew that they would was, that my first pair was bought second hand from the sales forum, and so they didn't need alot of play time to sound totally awesome!!! the second hand pair started out mediocre, but after 2 days of intense play time, and after I went to listen to them in morning, whalla! it was a night and day difference, these are IEMs that I can live with, kasweet!! and then the worst happend, just as quickly as I fell in love with the sound, the right side quit on me, AAHHHHG! talk about bummed, but I jumped thru some hoops and Head-Fi replaced them with a brand new pair, awesome customer service! and thats when I found myself where your at now, yuck! and wholly SH!T whats going on, man I wanted those second hand pair back!! but I got to working on them and slowly but surely these 150 imp IEMs started to come around! just like the first pair I had, they just needed ALOT of burn in time, I started getting satisfied with them after around 150 hours of use, I played them nightly with all kinds of funky stuff, some times at full blast, and listened to them during the day with what I like to listen to, and then when after they started to opened up, wholly cow! did they ever! and I fell in love with them! one thing that also helped in opening up the sound was modding the large bi-flange tips, I cut the bottom flange off and trimmed it flush, it helped with a better fit, and it seems like the longer stem of the bi-flange helps with the sound also, in fact although I no longer have the 262s, I sold them off after hearing the EX600s! I still use the large bi-flange tips and filters along with my 600s, in fact I've bought two more sets, and I no longer have to mod them, as my ears have enlarged and can easily accomidate them nicely! I hope some of this helps, happy listening!

Ya I'm gonna continue to burn them in to see if the sound changes anymore, I like them but I don't think I'm going to keep them. Actually the right phone is messed up on these too so I have to return them anyway - if I tap the strain relief it cuts in and out.

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #630 of 862
yes that was and is a common problem with the 262s ?, they cut out and the cable will get brittle and break open an inch or two from the strain relief ? where you are already having problems at, which is part of the reason why I sold my almost brand new pair on the sales forum, but the other is the EX600 just blew both the 262 and theTF10 out of the water! it has the best of both! I loved the 262s clearity smoothness and uber detail and instrument seperation, but I was missing the bass punch of the TF10s which after hearing the 262s, they made the TF10s sound muddy as heck! but with the EX600s! kazowies! I get all of that and not a smidge of any muddiness, and even much more better sounding after you get the harsh and sibilant mids underwraps ?,

as for the large bi-flange tips, they will hurt until your ears stretch/get callouses/or get more used to them, but in the end they are awesome! like I said I had to mod my first set to be able to use them effectively, the modded ones did stay in my ears better and made for a much easier fit! than the unmodded ones, but now that my ears can accomidate them with no issues, I can cram them in until it sits perfect, and it never moves, and I'm out and about walking me dog most of my listening time or at least on the go somewheres, I find them to be sweet, and will probably use them on any future IEMs that I might try out, oh and when I sent my first set of 262s back to Head Direct they ask that you send the IEMs only none of the accessories, and when they shipped them back to me they had another set of large bi-flange tips on then! which was very helpful, cuz I had modded one set already, but since they are still under warrenty, send them back for a refund, with the poor connection issue and along with the brittle cord concern ?, which I suggested to the fella that I sold them to to treat the cord with some armour all once in a while to help prevent it from getting brittle ? plus there are alot of other IEM alternatives around, but it sure is nice to hear first hand what everyone else is posting about, makes for a better point of reference when in the future Head-Fiers use them in comparring them to other IEM sound signitures, that plus you aren't in a pinch for a replacement pair, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back