Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Mar 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #647 of 862
hi guys.
i need help here.
i got some questions to ask.

i received my pair yesterday, and my first impression is that the sound specially the vocals, is somewhat shouty? is this natural? though i find the presentation to be musical, yet relaxing, the timbre is one of the best ive heard (just like the cc51, fx700).
2nd, can i use my ipod shuffle straight here straight to ? just for casual listening? i also use my e6, and found the vocals somewhat shouty.
3rd. does this need burn in?

i was under the impression that the vocals is as good as the sm3/530.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #648 of 862

Quote:
i received my pair yesterday, and my first impression is that the sound specially the vocals, is somewhat shouty? is this natural? though i find the presentation to be musical, yet relaxing, the timbre is one of the best ive heard (just like the cc51, fx700).

It will settle after 50+ hours and the overall sound will be more smooth give them time :wink:
TBH re262 sounds best with female vocals and folk like music at least for me.
For example I am really enjoying AniDifranco witch these iems this type of music sounds UNBELIEVABLE with re262!

Every other music I put on them is sounding not so entertaining due to the middle centric sound sig.
For example when I compare yuin pk1 to re 262, yuins are too bassy and lack resolution but they are much much better with rock trance etc.

I think I will need to look for another more universal sounding iems for more types of music.
RE262 are not good as universal iems which can handle everything good, its specific iem for specific kind of music imho.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #649 of 862
i also find to the 262 to be picky in the kind of tracks i listen to.
its bad on my rock kind of songs.
and it shines so well with my blues and jazzes.
its just simply...magnificent on the perfect kind of tracks.

burn in mode now, 262.

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #650 of 862
I made the plunge on the Re262 yesterday. Hopefully its turns out to be my dream IEM just as i hoped. I listen to mostly female vocals and instrumentals. I hope it can handle rock music though, the post above worries me :frowning2:

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #652 of 862

Quote:
I used it with rock/heavy music and it did fine for me when amped.

O okay thanks!!that eases my worries. I'm planning on using it on my super portable rig; clip zip + Fiio E6. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #653 of 862
I wouldn't pay too much attention to "strait-out-of-the-box new" listening impressions. The bass does come out more after a few hours of burn-in and the overall frequency response gets smoother. 50 hours should get you most of the way there. Bass extension is very good and the amount of bass is probably neutral, but the reason I love my RE-262s is for its mid-range clarity. These IEMs have no problem playing death metal or rock music since they excel at vocals and guitar work. If you listen to a lot of R&B or rap, you might look elsewhere since the 262s do tend to take some impact off of heavy thumping bass tracks.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #654 of 862
afternoon all,

closet audiophile here, thats never really taken the plunge and splashed out on some higher end kit.

currently running a little e5 between my phone and an aging set of MDR-EX500's and I'm looking in the next few months to relegate them to a backup solution, and upgrade to some of these here 262 jobbies..

I noticed a few people say that they've been running these from an e11, and also a ZO. I do like a bit of bass, and love my 500's and have noticed a few people championing the 600's in this thread (yes,I trawled through all of it, and others!) but at the same time, i do like definition and from what i've read the 262's are almost flawless in this respect (?)

Just wondering what people think of their e11/262 combination? I've read a few more reviews on here, and i get that the e11 is "clean and tight" whereas the ZO is "fun"

At the moment I'm erring towards the e11/262 pairing as the idea of clarity is what is spurring me on (my eyes, and ears, were opened after I bought the MDR-EX500's two years ago and again with my e5 last year)

I don't want to spend too much more than these two are going to set me back, but am very willing and open to others suggestions of alternativevs....

Also, i listen to a lot of electronic music, not all fast though and possibly as much of this as this as all others combined, and i've read the debates about the relative speeds of the headphone...I was wondering if this was really a factor when properly amped?

thnaks for the help everyone, as a relative novice to all this, the site is amazingly informative

Max

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #655 of 862
well...
i own both the zo and the 262.
and they are heaven when paired.

the 262 will bloom like a flower, even the zo is at max.

you should also try this:
eph100, miles davis iem, cc51 by meelec.
i own all of this and they all have different signatures.
and they would be really worth your while.

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #656 of 862
I don't think the RE262 is the optimal phone for electronica.  I listen to a lot of electronica too (more on the downtempo, ambient DnB, electro, dubstep, jazzy/deep house side of things than trance, prog house, or techno).. and while the RE262 turns out a fantastic soundstage & incredible detail, it might not possess the speed & decay that certain types of electronica demand.  Again, it won't disappoint, but it isn't the most suited phone for electronica (depending on what subgenres/styles).

I use the RE262 almost exclusively for acoustic/folk, soft/prog rock, jazz/fusion, latin, blues, orchestral, and soul.. anything that possesses lot of live, traditional instrumentation & vocals (opposed to synthetic instruments).  It's a heavenly phone with the genres I mentioned.. while still doing great with hip hop, disco, and pop.  The RE262's bass might not have the prerequisite presence and punch the uninitiated might expect.  It's a colored, energetic phone.. but presents those characteristics in a very refined, sophisticated, elegant manner.

I'd suggest looking into the FXT90 as a viable alternative which might more appropriately suit your needs.

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #657 of 862
I have come to discovery when I was using my clip+ with re 262s and was amazed by how stunning it sounds without amp.

Try this: On rockboxed clip+ go to Settings/Playback settings/Replaygain/Preamp and set it to 5.5 db and also set Replaygain type to track.
Now re 262 sounds incredible defo better than cmoyBB + fuze lineout combo what an incredible difference this makes I am floored and getting another clip+ to compensate battery life.
I cant believe this
atsmile.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #658 of 862
     Quote:

It will settle after 50+ hours and the overall sound will be more smooth give them time :wink:
TBH re262 sounds best with female vocals and folk like music at least for me.
For example I am really enjoying AniDifranco witch these iems this type of music sounds UNBELIEVABLE with re262!

Every other music I put on them is sounding not so entertaining due to the middle centric sound sig.
For example when I compare yuin pk1 to re 262, yuins are too bassy and lack resolution but they are much much better with rock trance etc.

I think you should definitely try the Final Audio Piano Forte II.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #659 of 862
Apr 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #660 of 862
     Quote:
I think not.

Well he said the mid-centric sig is very entertaining to him, and I think the PF II is the best earbud for mid-centric vocal pop sound like Celine Dion or whatever, and it's resolution improves with source, despite the low price.

So, with his taste in music/sound, I think he'll find the Final Audio Vocal Forte II quite entertaining next to his PK1, with the right music from a good DAC/Amp.

Edit:  Since I don't believe earbuds can be as high resolution as, say... the Hifiman RE272, I like them to have a special signature to keep me entertained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back