Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Feb 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #631 of 862
Hi guys,

I'm having a right channel problem as well, but the reason seems odd.

Sound from the right channel cuts out completely when I create any vaccuum in my ear. I go to put them on, pressing them firmly into my ear until I get a good seal and they sit comfortably. Ok no problem, music is still playing. As soon as I take my finger off of the right ear piece, the sound will cut in and out until the pressure in my ear equalizes with the ambient air pressure. This seems very strange to me. It's like the driver is weak in one direction...

Sound while pushing them in is fine (higher pressure in the ear), but when I release them, the bi-flange tip relaxes and pulls the ear piece out of my ear, ever so slightly (lower pressure in the ear) resulting in no sound for short bursts. When I yawn -- which apparently pushes air out of my ears -- the vaccumm created when my muscles relax is enough to disable the right driver momentarily.

Has anyone else had this problem? I just sent an email to Nankai describing the issue. I'll report back with his response. :xf_eek:

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #632 of 862

Quote:
I just picked up the 262 a couple of days ago unlike most people here, I don't really like them. I'm still burning them in but I'm doubtful they will change enough for me to keep them. They just sound... muffled I guess is the best word for it. As if someone was holding a pillow over it. I'm wondering if I did the foam reposition mod or just took it out all together if it would help? Is it correct to say that you can't tell that you've taken the foam out once you replace it (so I could still return them after)? They are a little off of my normal sound sig (I'm coming from q-jays/re-zeros) but idk they just sound bad to me. Makes me wonder if it's a fit/seal issue...

I have owned my RE-262-s for a month (properly burned in ~100h) and i struggled to get results from them as described by many who love their sound. I had problems with all the included tips, and while larger bi-flanges were comfortable and made the IEM-s better sounding than other tips, there were still problems. I scanned the freq response with sine sound generator and noticed many over 6dB peaks in midrange and treble, witch explained their poor performance even with classical and pure vocal music. Also soundstaging was annoying, some mid bass cut through my head. I was about to give up on them.
   Then one day i found something by chance. Everything changed drastically when i stumbled across Sony single-flanges from cheap Sony in-ears, they fitted nicely. I must say for my ears RE-262-s are the most tip dependent IEM-s i have tried. I then rescanned their frequency range and as if magically everything turned out smooth, no peaks, only slight (2..3dB) bumps were left. Soundstage is nice too and they are spectacular with every genere of music i throw at them. 
I guess ear canals are very different and mine are more unconventional than most people's. 
   I love details and i love my Genelec studio monitors and loved CK-10-s(until i broke them). I must say through some eq tweaking RE-262-s can even be made pretty balanced sounding.
They are unquestionably more musical, inviting, seducing (their arena name) than my Genelecs or CK-10-s(memory) with most tracks.
    For anyone not satisfied with their pair of RE-262  sound wise i recommend trying as many different tips as possible. I tried different Monster Turbine's tips, Maximos's tips, Audio Technica's tips and finally Sony's which were the only ones that really worked for me.

Have anyone made foam repositioning (as ClieOS)? If so what are your impressions?

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #634 of 862
Hi guys,
I'm having a right channel problem as well, but the reason seems odd.
Sound from the right channel cuts out completely when I create any vaccuum in my ear. I go to put them on, pressing them firmly into my ear until I get a good seal and they sit comfortably. Ok no problem, music is still playing. As soon as I take my finger off of the right ear piece, the sound will cut in and out until the pressure in my ear equalizes with the ambient air pressure. This seems very strange to me. It's like the driver is weak in one direction...
Sound while pushing them in is fine (higher pressure in the ear), but when I release them, the bi-flange tip relaxes and pulls the ear piece out of my ear, ever so slightly (lower pressure in the ear) resulting in no sound for short bursts. When I yawn -- which apparently pushes air out of my ears -- the vaccumm created when my muscles relax is enough to disable the right driver momentarily.
Has anyone else had this problem? I just sent an email to Nankai describing the issue. I'll report back with his response. :xf_eek:

have an update:

ok guys, I sent it in after Head-Direct customer service said they would probably send me a new one. Also, they had me keep all the accessories (box, tips, adapters, etc), but I'm thinking this is kind of a wash as they were still in mint condition, I had them broken in, the tips aren't that great anyway, and shipping was $12 for UPS with a tracking number... What??? :xf_eek: They should get it on Monday so I'll just report back when I get a package at my doorstep. I've enjoyed the sound of these so much I can image it will take some time before I find others I like more... that means I'm not selling them NIB :p

More and more I'm noticing that the included bi-flange tips (RE-Zero AND RE-262) really start to itch after an hour or so of listening. No, that's not me doing damage to my eardrum... maybe the type of silicon blend they used??? Does anyone else have this problem? For me, the single flanges don't fit at all because they're too stiff and don't seal.

Are most RE-users recommending the Sony Hybrids? I can imagine having the driver closer to the eardrum might improve the bass quantity ever so slightly over the stock bi-flanges.

Cheers everyone,

KF

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #635 of 862

Quote:
have an update:
ok guys, I sent it in after Head-Direct customer service said they would probably send me a new one. Also, they had me keep all the accessories (box, tips, adapters, etc), but I'm thinking this is kind of a wash as they were still in mint condition, I had them broken in, the tips aren't that great anyway, and shipping was $12 for UPS with a tracking number... What???
redface.gif
They should get it on Monday so I'll just report back when I get a package at my doorstep. I've enjoyed the sound of these so much I can image it will take some time before I find others I like more... that means I'm not selling them NIB
tongue.gif

More and more I'm noticing that the included bi-flange tips (RE-Zero AND RE-262) really start to itch after an hour or so of listening. No, that's not me doing damage to my eardrum... maybe the type of silicon blend they used??? Does anyone else have this problem? For me, the single flanges don't fit at all because they're too stiff and don't seal.
Are most RE-users recommending the Sony Hybrids? I can imagine having the driver closer to the eardrum might improve the bass quantity ever so slightly over the stock bi-flanges.
Cheers everyone,
KF

Hmm I never had a problem with itching. I actually think the stock bi flanges are the best tips on the RE262 and also perform very well on other IEMs. I didn't find an increase in bass response with the hybrids but even if there is, it's hardly noticeable. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #637 of 862
I would NOT suggest hybrids with these. The midrange loses it's magic. You need a tip as wide as the nozzle.

Something that's been mentioned (on the e-Q5 thread) re: the hybrids is to cut off approx. half of the tip's rubber stem (the hybrid's green/blue/orange/yellow sleeve (depending on size) that slides on the nozzle of the IEM).  When you install the tips onto the IEM, you'll notice the hybrid tip's bore is as wide as the IEM nozzle's bore.

Worked on the e-Q5.. should work on the RE262.  It's irreversible since you're chopping up a small part of your tips but definitely worth a shot, IME.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #638 of 862
If someone can verity the e-Q5 also takes T400s, then I'll probably give that a shot... thanks FlySweep!

one more question:
I've been looking at getting a closed circum-/super-aural headphone for work (going for minimal sound leak). Does an RE-262 equivalent exist as far as presentation, SQ, FR, and detail (etc)? I could stand a touch more bass and an ever so slightly brighter sound overall if that helps. Is there another company whose house sound is comparable to the RE-262?

:ksc75smile: --> :dt880smile:

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #640 of 862
Quote:
Something that's been mentioned (on the e-Q5 thread) re: the hybrids is to cut off approx. half of the tip's rubber stem (the hybrid's green/blue/orange/yellow sleeve (depending on size) that slides on the nozzle of the IEM).  When you install the tips onto the IEM, you'll notice the hybrid tip's bore is as wide as the IEM nozzle's bore.

Worked on the e-Q5.. should work on the RE262.  It's irreversible since you're chopping up a small part of your tips but definitely worth a shot, IME.

AMAZING! I never would have thought of that. I think I may have to order the RE262's again then.

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #641 of 862
Tonight, I was doing some comparative listening between the HiFiMan HE-500 & Sennheiser HD580.  Both were phones I recently acquired and am thoroughly in love with (the HE-500 in particular.. wow!).  My playlist was blues heavy with the main test file being a personal favorite: Eric Clapton's (widely revered) classic, "Layla" (the acoustic version from "Unplugged).  This track sounded absolutely gorgeous through both phones.  The HD580's airy, crisp treble accentuated Clapton's guitar notes & the drummer's cymbals perfectly.  Their laid back sound presented the entire track in such an easy listening manner that matches the tone of the song quite well.  The HE-500 proceeded to take this song to another level with it's incredible detail, nimbleness, and a uniquely liquid (but neutral) ortho midrange that simply must be heard to be fully appreciated.

Since those two phones (and the UM Miracle) arrived, my trusty RE262 had (unfortunately) been collecting dust.  I decided to grab it see what Clapton's blues classic sounded like with the RE262's unique coloration.  What a beautiful experience!  The RE262 immediately reminded me of why I fell in love with it in the first place.  It's slightly warm but impeccably clear, smooth sound & airy, intoxicating, liquid midrange left me in a hypnotic trance.  The RE262 brought such life to this song.  The bluesy piano was delicate but vibrant as Clapton's rhythm guitar playing was ripe with texture.  I could easily distinguish every nuance in his soulful guitar solo as the RE262 showed off its fantastic detail retrieval and deep note weight.  Clapton's meditative vocals came through so astonishingly clear..I heard that slight gruffiness in his throat other phones could in no way retrieve as he croons..it felt like I was right there at the set.

It was fun to go from a pair of full sized phones to an IEM and still feel a live, open soundstage.. a real strength of the RE262.  You would think the stark coloration of the RE262 would be a bit jarring considering only moments before, I was listening to the same song through a pair of cans that are revered for their neutrality and balance.. and that cost nearly five times as much (HE-500) !  The RE262 met the challenge head on and showed off its own prowess by reproducing the song with an unrivaled musical twist.  It's the RE262's sophistication that facilitates such an effortless transition between signatures on (seemingly) opposite ends of the spectrum.

I can't recommend listening to a HQ rip of this track through a well amped RE262 enough.. it's simply stunning & will make you appreciate all the wonderful things that are so often spoke about this unique phone.  It's a pinnacle in musicality for me.  Listen to the 'right' music with the RE262 (amped, of course) & you'll be gleefully picking your jaw off the ground over & over again.

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #642 of 862
Right on.  I had the LCD-2 and now the HE-500.  Even though I use full-size headphones at night I feel no let-down using the 262s at work or during my commute.  I still look forward to using the 262 everyday.  I wonder if I need a backup pair of 262 that I store away or will Hifiman continue to produce winners.  I was thinking about getting another pair of IEMs in the $100-300 price range for an upcoming work trip.  If my 262s croak on me I won't have an opportunity to pick up anything.  Maybe something complementary to the warm 262s.  Something closer to neutral and detailed.  Mostly to be used with jazz trios and female vocals.   Feel free to throw out suggestions.  The Westone 3 or 4 (used) would be something worth exploring or even the HD-25. 

Quote:
Tonight, I was doing some comparative listening between the HiFiMan HE-500 & Sennheiser HD580.  Both were phones I recently acquired and am thoroughly in love with (the HE-500 in particular.. wow!).  My playlist was blues heavy with the main test file being a personal favorite: Eric Clapton's (widely revered) classic, "Layla" (the acoustic version from "Unplugged).  This track sounded absolutely gorgeous through both phones.  The HD580's airy, crisp treble accentuated Clapton's guitar notes & the drummer's cymbals perfectly.  Their laid back sound presented the entire track in such an easy listening manner that matches the tone of the song quite well.  The HE-500 proceeded to take this song to another level with it's incredible detail, nimbleness, and a uniquely liquid (but neutral) ortho midrange that simply must be heard to be fully appreciated.

Since those two phones (and the UM Miracle) arrived, my trusty RE262 had (unfortunately) been collecting dust.  I decided to grab it see what Clapton's blues classic sounded like with the RE262's unique coloration.  What a beautiful experience!  The RE262 immediately reminded me of why I fell in love with it in the first place.  It's slightly warm but impeccably clear, smooth sound & airy, intoxicating, liquid midrange left me in a hypnotic trance.  The RE262 brought such life to this song.  The bluesy piano was delicate but vibrant as Clapton's rhythm guitar playing was ripe with texture.  I could easily distinguish every nuance in his soulful guitar solo as the RE262 showed off its fantastic detail retrieval and deep note weight.  Clapton's meditative vocals came through so astonishingly clear..I heard that slight gruffiness in his throat other phones could in no way retrieve as he croons..it felt like I was right there at the set.

It was fun to go from a pair of full sized phones to an IEM and still feel a live, open soundstage.. a real strength of the RE262.  You would think the stark coloration of the RE262 would be a bit jarring considering only moments before, I was listening to the same song through a pair of cans that are revered for their neutrality and balance.. and that cost nearly five times as much (HE-500) !  The RE262 met the challenge head on and showed off its own prowess by reproducing the song with an unrivaled musical twist.  It's the RE262's sophistication that facilitates such an effortless transition between signatures on (seemingly) opposite ends of the spectrum.

I can't recommend listening to a HQ rip of this track through a well amped RE262 enough.. it's simply stunning & will make you appreciate all the wonderful things that are so often spoke about this unique phone.  It's a pinnacle in musicality for me.  Listen to the 'right' music with the RE262 (amped, of course) & you'll be gleefully picking your jaw off the ground over & over again.

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #643 of 862
Right on.  I had the LCD-2 and now the HE-500.  Even though I use full-size headphones at night I feel no let-down using the 262s at work or during my commute.  I still look forward to using the 262 everyday.  I wonder if I need a backup pair of 262 that I store away or will Hifiman continue to produce winners.  I was thinking about getting another pair of IEMs in the $100-300 price range for an upcoming work trip.  If my 262s croak on me I won't have an opportunity to pick up anything.  Maybe something complementary to the warm 262s.  Something closer to neutral and detailed.  Mostly to be used with jazz trios and female vocals.   Feel free to throw out suggestions.  The Westone 3 or 4 (used) would be something worth exploring or even the HD-25. 

ORTOFON e-Q5.  Hands down.  I'll be commenting on it in the e-Q5 thread more extensively.

Couldn't be happier with.. I place it up there with the RE262 as among my favorite universals.  The GR07 is an afterthough to me after owning the e-Q5.  If there's one suggestion you blindly take me up on, it's this one.

wink_face.gif

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #644 of 862
Based on the looks of the bullet style e-Q5 it would seem the 262 would be easier to get a good fit.  Am I wrong with this assumption?  And where does someone buy the e-Q5?  Doesn't seem to be found on Amazon.

Quote:

ORTOFON e-Q5.  Hands down.  I'll be commenting on it in the e-Q5 thread more extensively.

Couldn't be happier with.. I place it up there with the RE262 as among my favorite universals.  The GR07 is an afterthough to me after owning the e-Q5.  If there's one suggestion you blindly take me up on, it's this one.

wink_face.gif

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #645 of 862
Based on the looks of the bullet style e-Q5 it would seem the 262 would be easier to get a good fit.  Am I wrong with this assumption?  And where does someone buy the e-Q5?  Doesn't seem to be found on Amazon.

I actually get an easier fit with the e-Q5. The RE262's oblong shape is a little tougher to get a deep fit with unless using using a double flange.

I posted on how to buy it on the eQ5 thread, too. I saw a pair in the FS forum quite recently as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back