Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Aug 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #601 of 862
Hey Varley, hows it going?

just sharing some of my Hysteria!! lol, 
tongue_smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took these from my posts from the EX600's thread? read at your own, but this is what I've experienced in owning the TF10's>RE262's>now graduated to the victorious Sony EX600's!
and since have sold off the TF10's and the 262's?
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

to me the 600's sound like a cross between the TF10's and the RE262's, fun and engaging bass like the TF10's, but with the clearity and detail, and mids of the 262's 
gs1000.gif
!!! the best of both worlds! and then throw in a ZO or two, well a Voyager!!

KA-ZOWIES batcan! I believe we have an audio caper afoot
ph34r.gif
!! who is this ZO, and what could his dasterdly plans be batcan! could it be audio domination!! stay tuned next week for the final conclusion of "ZO vs. Hi-Fi!!" in a duel to the deaf, as they battle it out for audio supremacy!! lol, 

and in the end I bet they get married and live happily ever after!! creating heavenly tunes forever and ever, and have lots of little ZO versions to carry on with the lagacy
wink_face.gif
!! well it could happen 
blink.gif
, in some alternate universe, or sumptin like dat! lol  

One day there was a TF10 and she met a 262, and they got married and had a baby, and called him EX600! and he had a bestest of friend named ZO! lol, what, it might have happened that way, lol  

alright, alright already than! but whatever the story was or wasn't, the combo of the two is pretty awesome sounding regardless. OutKast "I love the way you moove!!" as I'm listening to it right now! couldn't sing it better,

A combo for all seasonings!!!!!!!!!!!
                           ~~~~~
basshead.gif
tongue_smile.gif
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif
ksc75smile.gif
blink.gif
popcorn.gif
o2smile.gif

eek.gif

atsmile.gif
~~~~~       

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm selling (sold!) my 262's on the sales thread right now, hands down I luv the 600's 7x's better than the 262's. thats how it was with my TF10's that I originally started out with as my first pair of higher end IEM's. I luved those TF10's they sounded awesome, very very fun sounding!! a nice soundstage, great bass and treble, but the mids were lacking, so I matched them up with a solid silver wired LOD, and that did alot for bringing out the mids, and balancing out the sound alot more!! 

and then I got ahold of a set of the 262's
atsmile.gif
!! they wound up being 10x's better than the TF10's 
mad.gif
!! drats cuz I luved those dag blasted TF10's, but compared to the 262's I could now clearly hear how muddy and conjested the sound actually was with the TF10's, darn, but good, cuz now I'm being baptized into Hi-Fi more, the 262's have clearity and awesome smooth mids! great sound stage, with alot of detail and instrument seperation!! not alot of bass, but with my Voyager bass is never a problem!!

I should have ended it there and never came back to this forum, 
wink_face.gif
, because it wasn't long before I started to read up on these 600's, and when Majin listed a trade for his 600's for some TF10's, I knew it was fate at work, lol,

but anyways, now the 262's sound dry and lifeles compared to the 600"s!! the 600's seem as if a TF10 and a 262, were merged together!!! it comes with a deep and extended well defined clear and punchy low end, along with awesome mids and treble, and the soundstage is as if the two were comined together, cuz it is freaking the best!!! very airy but engaging to the nth degree!!

but you have to get the harsh mids and alot of sibilance under control first!!! cuz it was almost a deal breaker for me, I was on the verge of putting up the 600's, and not the 262's onto the sales thread,

well what was it that came along and made up my mind you ask? well hold on now I'll tell you no problem, 

well I was there, sitting alone in the dark like I usually spend my tuesday nights, deep into meditation, and a tub of Ben and Jerry's cherry Garcia, I do my best chaneling that way, its a gratefully NOT dead kinda thing, ask my therapist, lol, when along came ZO!! yep it wasn't until I hooked that little puppy that I had finally found the #$#^%^&%*&^%*#@ing sweetest spot, if ever I could  have only imagined what music actually should sound like
tongue.gif
!!! after all of my tweaks, fixes, and with all of the sugestions that everybody was talking about, on how to "The Taming of the MIds" lol, good book I never knew it was based on a true story, lol, sorry OT, again, lol,

but all that had only gotten it 65% of the way to where I was hoping that I could go with it, and it was a struggle to get it there? because the 600's provide an awesome platform to work with? it just took some working around to get everything set up just right!! but still it was only 65% of the way to where I was hoping,

and then the utterly fantastic Mr. ZO, easily took it the rest of the way, to what I can only describe as heaven!!!
atsmile.gif
 I've only had the three sets of higher quality IEM's, and I can honestly say that each one is AWESOME, in its own right!!!  and has unique and fantastic qualities!! but with the 600's I'm speachless, lol, yea right!! but the harsh mids and alot of sibilance issue has been fixed to almot 96.2% of the way, with just the right amount left to making them supremace sucumbus! anyways, I like um alut!! I liked the TF10's>but the 262's 10x's more than the TF10's> but the 600's I like 7x's more than the 262's!!! 
atsmile.gif
 but to get there was a process of progressive appreciation, because I had the TF10's I could really appreciate what the 262's could do and bring to my ears? and henceforth because of having the 262's, I can whopulously, lol, appreciate the hellout of the now title champoin, the wonderful 600's, which none of it would have been possible without the litlle powerhouse of a ZO!!!! anyway, just my .02 worth
blink.gif
!!!  

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #602 of 862
Hey Anderoan!

I'm good thanks
redface.gif

Right, well this will probably next month or so now, and If you're ZO is still up and the new one isn't out I'll probably be picking that up as well!

The only problem I can possibly see myself having with the EX600's is the fit of them, they seem huge and very fixed into where they will sit, whereas the 262's seem very small and petite (much more suitable for my dwarf ears!) - I really do like the comments you've made and the 600's seem an overall better package (including accecs/tips etc) but I feel like I will end up getting the 262's either way
rolleyes.gif

I will have a ponder about it and read some more impressions!

Cheers

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #603 of 862
Oh and also, you're saying that the ZO makes both the 262 and the 600's shine? Which one is preferable un-amped (just incase I don't pick up the ZO)?

I know the 262's are a tad harder to drive than most, I sold all my more expensive portable amps as I just never used them, I have the E11 and maybe a ZO I'd pair with the J3, and I usually just use my Clip on its own, and play around with certain user set EQ's!

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #604 of 862
Quote:
Oh and also, you're saying that the ZO makes both the 262 and the 600's shine? Which one is preferable un-amped (just incase I don't pick up the ZO)?

I know the 262's are a tad harder to drive than most, I sold all my more expensive portable amps as I just never used them, I have the E11 and maybe a ZO I'd pair with the J3, and I usually just use my Clip on its own, and play around with certain user set EQ's!

If I may, while the synergy between the two (with the Zo) are both exceptional, unamped, I'd have to side with the EX600 10 out of 10 times. Much like its bigger brother (EX1000), amped or not, it does everything just right IMO.

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #605 of 862
Oh right, thanks for that input
redface.gif

How do you find the fit then? I don't think I have small ears, but my ear canals are smaller than average, I'm just directly comparing the 2 in size, the EX600 (due to the dome driver?) looks absolutely huge, almost awkward, I've also seen a lot of people end up selling due to not being able to find the correct seal, - EX600 is a bit more expensive and I'm not all that keen on having to return/re-sell it if it doesn't fit?

Persuade me otherwise and I might drop the bomb on the Sony's!

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #606 of 862
As with anything, there are no guarantees my friend. If it's fit we're primarily referring to, the 262's would gain the edge if I'm to be completely honest. In other words, I would find it much harder to believe that anyone is experiencing fit issues with the RE262, while with the EX, there has been more than one account. Bare in mind however, if and when you do find the right tips for the EX (assuming you have enough tips on hand to experiment with), the distinction between the two is barely even noteworthy, and they both can worn for hours on end. In fact, the EX remains amongst the top most comfortable in-ears I've worn to date, but as variable as it tends to be from use to user, the RE262 is most probably the 'safer bet', if you will.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #608 of 862
With the EX coupled with the Monster tri-flanges (my exclusive tips), I've personally never encountered a better seal/insertion from any other tips. Similarly, the 262 bi-flanges work just as well, and since the 262 can be worn cable down, it makes for an even more comfortable fit in my case.
smile.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #609 of 862

Quote:

Hey Varley

sorry for being obtuse, as to being more direct, regardless of the ZO, the 600's beat out the 262's, for me at least, hands down, and by a long shot, there as fun as the TF10's regarding the bass! but with none of the negatives, the muddy bass, recesed mids, and with all the positives of the 262's, detailed, punchy, alot of instrument seperation, and what seems like a combined and awesome soundstage of the two of them! 

but the only hurdle, besides the ear fit, which isn't a problem for me, and the 600 are an easier fit than the 262's were, although the 262's gave me more of a suction cup seal, but with the 600's a suction cup seal doesn't seem needed? but I am curious to see what a suction cup seal would do to the sound signiture of the 600's? but it's the harshness and sibilanance of the mids, that was the hardest to figure out for me, if you can work around those then I recommend the 600's, which as you say are alot easier to drive, and I'm sure would work nicely straight out of your clip, especially with the user EQ. settings, which would probably overcome the mids issue in a snap! to sound their best the 262's might need an amp to get the most out of them?

I hope putting it more directly helps to clearify what I was hysterically getting at 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #610 of 862

Quote:
but anyways, now the 262's sound dry and lifeles compared to the 600"s!! the 600's seem as if a TF10 and a 262, were merged together!!! it comes with a deep and extended well defined clear and punchy low end, along with awesome mids and treble, and the soundstage is as if the two were comined together, cuz it is freaking the best!!! very airy but engaging to the nth degree!!

Now, I'm wondering why the 262s are so power hungry where the 600s can be fully powered by my iPod Touch.  150 ohms vs 32 ohms.  Any ideas?

Also, wondering what ZO is.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #611 of 862

Quote:
Now, I'm wondering why the 262s are so power hungry where the 600s can be fully powered by my iPod Touch.  150 ohms vs 32 ohms.  Any ideas?

Also, wondering what ZO is.

hey jb. I don't have an iPod Touch, but my mom does! I'll have to try that out, she has alot of the same music that I have uploaded, well - a few? so it would be easy to see how they would run off of her's? but I'm sure the Touch would respond better with the 600's, mainly because of the 150 vs. 32 ohms? but I'll give it a try tomorrow with my mums iPod Touch and see how it does?
but between the 2 the 600's seemed to power more effortlessly than the 262's, which is what probably was a big contributor towards the 262's sounding dry compared to the richness of thre 600's?

but the ZO, is a one touch electronic subwoofer, with a 32 step attenuator, its a small wonder of a powerhouse, it boost the whole sound spectrum! bass, mids, and treble booster, when its at its lower setting it effects each somewhat equally, but as you go up it effects everything but tends to lean more so towards the bass! the first version has no volume control, so it needs the HO. or run it thru an amp, I use my Voyager! awesome it is!

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #612 of 862

Quote:
hey jb. I don't have an iPod Touch, but my mom does! I'll have to try that out, she has alot of the same music that I have uploaded, well - a few? so it would be easy to see how they would run off of her's? but I'm sure the Touch would respond better with the 600's, mainly because of the 159 vs. 32 ohms? but I'll give it a try tomorrow with my mums iPod Touch and see how it does?

but the ZO, is a one touch electronic subwoofer, with a 32 step attenuator, its a small wonder of a powerhouse, it boost the whole sound spectrum! bass, mids, and treble booster, when its at its lower setting it effects each somewhat equally, but as you go up it effects everything but tends to lean more so towards the bass! the first version has no volume control, so it needs the HO. or run it thru an amp, I use my Voyager! awesome it is!

Hm, well, I was looking at the E11 amp, so it would work well with the ZO?  (assuming i can get my hands on one)  I guess I'll probably have to buy the 600s soon.  Just have to wait a few days until pay day.  :D  I was going to have to save up some more so I could buy the headphones+amp together, but since these technically operate at full capacity from my iPod, I can get them now and the amp later.  Perhaps hearing them un-amp'd will make me appreciate the amp more...but I don't think it'll be a night and day difference.

Any ideas on how to get a ZO?  Their site says it's out of stock, basically.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #613 of 862

Quote:
Yea, the EX600 seems a bit more of a 'extravagant' design if you like, which draws me to try it even more...Heck, I might just get both...

Hey Varley,

don't know if this would help but Majin got his EX600's that I traded my Tf10's for at this store 
http://www.flevowebwinkel.nl/product/995292/sony-inear-headphone-mdrex600-mdrex600-ae.html?ref=2 

and this is what he paid for them????? 70 euro?  
basshead.gif
 well roughly translated, he stole them, lol, or, er um, got them for a steal! they're not listed at that price, but he said something about they should still be avaialable for around that price? I don't know if they're in your neck of the woods, but if you can get them for that cheap? it might just be worth getting them, if you don't like them, then you could easily get dbl. your money selling them to a bloke here in the US. on E-Bay that is, lol, and not on Head-Fi? 

~~~~~~~~invoice? below~~~~~~~~~

[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Factuurdatum [/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=xx-small]23-06-2011 [/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Factuurnummer [/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=xx-small]F310867/1 [/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Klantnummer [/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=xx-small]142760[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Order/deel [/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=xx-small]310867/1[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Art.nr Omschrijving Aantal Stukprijs Subtotaal[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]995292 Sony Inear Headphone MDREX600 1 € 53,70 € 53,70[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small](01504532)[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Garantie: 12 maanden[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Betaald[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]€ 69,89 betaald per Per bank of giro op 09-06-2011[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Subtotaal ex BTW € 53,70[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Vaste verzendkosten (Selektvracht) NL € 5,03[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Totaalbedrag ex BTW € 58,73[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]BTW (19%) € 11,16[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Totaalbedrag inc BTW € 69,89[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Betaald bedrag € 69,89[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Te betalen € 0,00 [/size][/size]

Quote:

Hm, well, I was looking at the E11 amp, so it would work well with the ZO?  (assuming i can get my hands on one)  I guess I'll probably have to buy the 600s soon.  Just have to wait a few days until pay day.  :D  I was going to have to save up some more so I could buy the headphones+amp together, but since these technically operate at full capacity from my iPod, I can get them now and the amp later.  Perhaps hearing them un-amp'd will make me appreciate the amp more...but I don't think it'll be a night and day difference.

Any ideas on how to get a ZO?  Their site says it's out of stock, basically.

yes they will run easily off of your iPod

where to get one? wait till the version 2 comes around, with its volume control? and then get a LOD to run off of your iPod, it will be a cleaner sound, and then I set my EQ. to treble reducer to help with the mids? but if you go to the digizoid site, http://www.digizoid.com/the-zo/ , and click on the where to buy section, they'll ask you to contact them? worth a try, they might just have some available?

awe shucks I just sold my last one to, drats, but yes appreciating something in its basic state, and then adding to it is usually the best, I always start out my listening day, with just my Voyager on, which with the 600"s, sounds great! none of the other IEM's ever grabbed my attention as such? but then when I get an itching to take it up a notch, thats when I'll switch on the ZO, after I've turned down the volume of course, and let the head thumping commence,  
gs1000.gif
 and let me tell you YES! it definately is a NIGHT and DAY difference!

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #614 of 862
Alright awesome
redface.gif
I'm hoping the 600's will be to my taste, I think I'll get these first then maybe pick up the 262's down the line, - I'm hoping the fit is fine for me!

And in reference to the independence, the ex600's will be a lot easier to drive anyhow, the sensitivity on both is similar (107 to 96 I think?) - I have plenty of IEM's so If I felt like using my Clip and wasn't in the mood for carrying an amp on the go with me I'd use another pair!
biggrin.gif

It's weird actually, when I started here I was a huge fan of full sized cans and only had a pair of Klipsch S4's!
Now I have 4 full sized cans (probably won't be adding anymore) and like 24 different IEM's! I'm just so much more impressed with what they can produce, it seems like true synergy comes from powering full sized cans with a fantastic source and amp, whereas the majority of IEM's seem to sound incredible either way
redface.gif

Ahhhhhh.

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #615 of 862
~Picked up the 262's - Amped or EQ'ed (BBE ViVa) on the J3 these are the most engaging and impressive IEM's I have heard - Very very similar to the enjoyment I get from the GR07's - But I'm going to be honest and say they've blew the 600's out of the water for me
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back