Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Jul 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #572 of 862

Quote:
I'm really itching to get one of these, but after reading some people's complaints on how RE0 breaking on them
after a couple of months use, I'm having second thoughts. 

This will be a major upgrade for me, plus I'm a college student so yeah... I don't have a lot to spend 
cool.gif

Hey Iggizaki

Yea I know about them breaking first hand, I got mine second hand from a fellow Head-Fier, and had them for 2 days before they broke on me? they were unbalanced with the 90 degree right angled plug, which is there first version I belive, and it is that particular version that people are having the breaking problem with also?? and Head-Direct still replaced them with a BRAND NEW set, the unbalanced ones, but this one has the *70 degree* right angled plug with it!!!! and I think they fixed the breaking problem on the 70 degree angled plug versions? because I haven't been reading about the problem but only in the earlier reviews, and nothing as of recent? but I could be wrong? but GGOOO Head-Direct, they have awesome customer service, and the 262's do come with a 30 day refund, and a 1 YEAR REPLACEMENT!! so even if you do have a breakage problen you won't have a customer service one with Head-Direct
smile.gif

so get them second hand or directly from them, but if you go second hand and have the unbalanced version, and wind up needing a replacement, you might get a balanced set in return, and if thats the case you'll have to get the adapters at $25.00 for the set and $15.00 to ship, because you won't get then along with your replacements? I tried for another Head-Fier because that was his case, but sweet  Ms. T. aka Pleasant Lady! gave me the same deal aswell? 

anyway FYI for you

I hope you get them because they are AWESOME!!! way better than the now dethroned TF10's that I had and thought the world of, but that was being paired with the GS Voyager, which doesn't pair well with balanced armatures, and in getting the 262's I heard first hand what the reviewers meant, because in comparision, the muddiness of the TF10's stands right out, next too what the 262's brings to the table, excelent sound stage and instrument seperation, and well defined, clear, clean, bass notes, KA-SWEET!!! 100x's more engaging than my traded out TF10's, so any day now I'll be compairing them to the sony EX600's!!
L3000.gif

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #573 of 862

Quote:
Hey Anderoan, I tried the mod and didn't improve anything for me.  The un-modded double-flange tips work best for my ears.  So in the end, people should do their own individual experiments to see what works.  I was able to do side-by-side comparisons.  The mod made it easier to get to that correct fit but at the cost of some environment noise isolation and snugginess.  Un-modded tips, it may take a second or two longer to find the correct position but I get the same sound quality as with the mod while keeping the isolation and snug fit in my ear.  

Also, take into account initial impressions.  My initial impressions w/ the unmodded tips was like your feeling with the modded tips so I was good from the get-go.  However, if people are initially underwhelmed by their 262's then try the mod, you then can be overwhelmed like the rest of us.  I never get tired of these 262's.  Still don't feel any upgraditis with the HM-601 + 262 combo.  I would like to demo the 272 but hard to justify forking over the $249 when the 262 are still kicking strong.

Hey WNBC,

sorry to hear that, and good advice as to trying stuff out the way it is before cutting things off,

my mod seems to be hitting the SWEETEST spot for me!! ggrrr!! and I 2000% agree with you, that  these 262's are freaking off the chart! they are 100x's more engaging than my dethroned TF10's, and thats saying alot, cuz I loved those IEM's, but they went to good use in a trade for some Sony EX600's that should be ariving anyday now!!
popcorn.gif
I can't wait to compare the two of them!! 
L3000.gif
 if they are better than the 262's, I'll just die!! Happy as a clam that is!!  

and yea I hear ya on the 272 point, but at $100.00 more, I can't imagine, just like the sony EX1000 vs. the EX600, two very similair sound signitures, as I've been reading, but at more than twice the price??    

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #574 of 862
As good as the RE262 are, I can't wait to be rid of them, their lack of bass extension specifically. I have many tracks in my library I really can't enjoy on my IEMs until I get better. Have to resort to listening to these on my speakers/sub setup to get proper bass. Some of the songs the bass line is so low the RE262 just doesn't play anything at all.

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #575 of 862

Quote:
As good as the RE262 are, I can't wait to be rid of them, their lack of bass extension specifically. I have many tracks in my library I really can't enjoy on my IEMs until I get better. Have to resort to listening to these on my speakers/sub setup to get proper bass. Some of the songs the bass line is so low the RE262 just doesn't play anything at all.

Hey Maxvla,

what tracks/music are you referring to? that you play on your speaker/sub setup, to get the full effect, I would love to give them a listen, is the bass extension that your talking about, referring how deep it needs to go to be able to really appreciate the music?

well I wish I new more of sound speak, and what good bass extension would sound like, I'm sure as I expand my IEM experience I'll have some first hand experience of what all the lingo refers to and means? all I know for now is that pairing the 262's along with the GS Voyager, it seems to add bass to them, and makes them very engaging

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #576 of 862
Hey Maxvla,

I just reread your post, know I re-understand what you mean, der, about the bass extension or lack there of, lol, well I just answered my own ?
confused_face.gif
, er your post did I mean, and yep, it don't go low enough, I get it

but let me know what your playing I'd like to give it a listen

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #577 of 862
The main one is this track from Love Spirals Downwards - I'll Always Love You (quality is not so stellar on this youtube embed, but you should still hear the bass) The bass starts around 13 seconds in and is more or less constant the rest of the song.

Extension typically refers to frequency reproduction. In this case my RE262 simply can't produce the bass notes with appreciable volume to play a meaningful role in presenting the song. I'm not hurting for amping either so it's not that. The Woo Audio 6 is one of the best IEM amps available.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #578 of 862
WOW!!! Maxvla,
basshead.gif

I just got around to giving it a listen!! nice very very nice I like it alot, this stuff has a good sound and I can see where your coming from, about the bass going low, and needing some good equipment to really giving it some room to get the most out of it!!

whats some other music that you listen too, I would enjoy being educated, thanks much, I'm listening with some Sony XB500's by the way, a little better but I would like to get it on my I-pod and pump it thru my Voyager ta boot
atsmile.gif
 that should get it somewhere!!

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #579 of 862
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who listens to more genres than I do. I listen to many languages and just about anything but rap (except old rap which actually was musical) and popular country. If you are wanting some good drum and bass and other electronic stuff, a page I frequent often is RT24 on Soundcloud. One of my favorite DJs. My only criteria for enjoying music is 1) high quality production (if possible) 2) the artist(s) sound like they are really trying and putting their soul into it, that's it, so you can see how I end up listening to just about anything.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #580 of 862

".....1) high quality production (if possible) 2) the artist(s) sound like they are really trying and putting their soul into it, that's it, so you can see how I end up listening to just about anything..... ...."

Yep I hear you, and agree 100%,

and since I picked up My Voyager, and have been on Head-Fi, I've been rediscovering all kinds of music, genres, and cultures, so much and many thanks to Head-Fi, and to all the very helpful and informative people here, such as your self, so thanks alot for your time, and very much for the info and education!
atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #581 of 862
hi. i have some questions about hifiman re-262:
1) how are this IEM with sansa clip+?
2) the hifiman will drain battery of sansa very quick? 
3) the fiio e5 is a good amp to give sansa more battery life and a better sound on re-262? or is a waste of money?

thanks

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #582 of 862
I don't know about questions 1 and 3 but I have the Hifiman HM-601 and the 262 does drain the battery quicker than other low impedance, high efficiency IEMs.  Instead of the 8 hour battery life I may get 5-6 hours.  

Quote:
3) the fiio e5 is a good amp to give sansa more battery life and a better sound on re-262? or is a waste of money?

thanks

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #583 of 862

I never thought about the E5 as a way to extend battery life, but it will surely do that.

As far as SQ, I've always thought it was marginal at best with the 262.

Quote:

thanks

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #584 of 862
First I tried out this recording with re-262's being plugged directly to notebook with built-in soundcard. Okay, lowest end is quiet and very subtle. Amping with E11, even with level 2 bass boost - adding approx 8-9 dB in low frequency - did not change things much.

But moving on to my monitor stereo speakers plugged into professional soundcard on my PC did not provide a feeling of deep and satisfying bass as well. It is definitely there on some of my recordings and of excellent quality and quantity, full sounding and I can physically feel every vibration and slightest nuances. That said, I did not hear anything like while listening to the track you provided. Still very subtle bass representation.

And I must say that 262's can go really deep. The only real drawback of these IEMs I was able to notice so far is that they somewhat exaggerate mids bringing them closer than they should be and also sub-par cabling. In two months of not really frequent use it became totally rigid and finally fractured in several places. I hope head-direct will provide replacement.

Quote:
The main one is this track from Love Spirals Downwards - I'll Always Love You (quality is not so stellar on this youtube embed, but you should still hear the bass) The bass starts around 13 seconds in and is more or less constant the rest of the song.

Extension typically refers to frequency reproduction. In this case my RE262 simply can't produce the bass notes with appreciable volume to play a meaningful role in presenting the song. I'm not hurting for amping either so it's not that. The Woo Audio 6 is one of the best IEM amps available.

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #585 of 862
Not sure what you are saying. Are you unable to hear the bass or are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back