Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Oct 28, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #196 of 862
Quote:
Oh, one thing thats been puzzling me ...the balanced trrs jack.
Assuming the HM-602 also has a balanced output , do re262s benifit form balanced configuration (when paired with HM-602 and when paired with other DAPs).
Also if i remember correctly  re-zero also had a trrs stereo jack anyone tried the zeros with HM-602?

Quote:
What makes you think the RE262 has a balanced plug? ...because they don't

what kind of balanced plug do the zeroes have? is it compatible with the protector? it'd be nice if the 262s came like this. i'd love to hear them balanced (well, i want to hear them se too.....)

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #197 of 862
Quote:
what kind of balanced plug do the zeroes have? is it compatible with the protector? it'd be nice if the 262s came like this. i'd love to hear them balanced (well, i want to hear them se too.....)

They've got a TRRS jack. Like an iPhone jack only with <L+|R+|L-|R-| instead of <L|R|Ground|Mic.remote|.
I'm not sure whether we actually will ever get a balanced DAP to pair with teh ZERO at this point, considering that there are less than a thousand people who could use it.

IIRC there are TRRS to double XLR adapters, but they're bulky and cost something like $50. You could probably make your own if need be.

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #198 of 862
Just out of curiosity but if I solder the last RS of the plug and make it a ground will it be usable as a normal TRS plug? Of course it will void the warranty and my skills would have to be good enough.

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #199 of 862
The RE262 (at least the one I have) comes with a completely standard single ended trs plug.

As I understand it there is a balanced amp module in the works for the HM-801.

Quote:

Quote:
They've got a TRRS jack. Like an iPhone jack only with <L+|R+|L-|R-| instead of <L|R|Ground|Mic.remote|.
I'm not sure whether we actually will ever get a balanced DAP to pair with teh ZERO at this point, considering that there are less than a thousand people who could use it.

IIRC there are TRRS to double XLR adapters, but they're bulky and cost something like $50. You could probably make your own if need be.

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #200 of 862
I got my re262 and to my disappointment, my RE-Zero is better in most ways, and they were quite similar. Although the instrument separation and the vocals are better, I think they don't deserve the $250 price tag. Just my first impression(and my friend's too) Do they improve a lot with burn in?

I'm to tired to make any reliable statement(but I can't sleep either). I will say something tomorrow, if I have to.

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #202 of 862
I'd love to see a head to head comparison between the 252 and 262

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #203 of 862
Quote:
Just out of curiosity but if I solder the last RS of the plug and make it a ground will it be usable as a normal TRS plug? Of course it will void the warranty and my skills would have to be good enough.

Yes, it will work as normal TRS, but you should just get a new plug instead. You won't want the lead falls off when you are plugging it into a DAP and has the fallen lead shorts the circuit.

Quote:
I got my re262 and to my disappointment, my RE-Zero is better in most ways, and they were quite similar. Although the instrument separation and the vocals are better, I think they don't deserve the $250 price tag. Just my first impression(and my friend's too) Do they improve a lot with burn in?

Not that they don't deserve the $250, just that the RE-ZERO is too good for $100. You need to understand that RE0 used to be sold for $199, and RE-ZERO could easily be sold for higher price as well. They do improve after burn-in, and you should check my post a few page back for foam reposition as well.

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #204 of 862

Quote:
Not that they don't deserve the $250, just that the RE-ZERO is too good for $100. You need to understand that RE0 used to be sold for $199, and RE-ZERO could easily be sold for higher price as well. They do improve after burn-in, and you should check my post a few page back for foam reposition as well.

Thanks for the reply, and yes I do understand the RE-Zero is too good for $100, forget my previous comment, I was just too tired and all. I will do the foam reposition after a good sleep. 

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #206 of 862
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, and yes I do understand the RE-Zero is too good for $100, forget my previous comment, I was just too tired and all. I will do the foam reposition after a good sleep. 

You have noting to apologized for. I'll probably feel the same coming from RE-ZERO to RE262 on the first time. They are just two completely different sound and you definitely need time to get used to it (which is why I commented before that if you are looking for RE0 / RE-ZERO / RE252 type of sound, then RE262 will not fit what you are looking).

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #208 of 862

Quote:
How about if you are looking for the e-Q7 type of sound, but with a little more bass and treble extension?

RE262 is definitely warm and thicker than e-Q7. In that regard, I think RE262 is close to SE530 or UM2 than e-Q7. But RE262 does have a tiny better sparkle than e-Q7 and more texture bass, just not as open and wide.

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #209 of 862
RE262 is definitely warm and thicker than e-Q7. In that regard, I think RE262 is close to SE530 or UM2 than e-Q7. But RE262 does have a tiny better sparkle than e-Q7 and more texture bass, just not as open and wide.

Thanks for the info. Argh, I don't think I'll ever be able to find a more affordable replacement for my e-Q7. How is the RE-Zero in this regard? Is it a bit closer to the e-Q7 signature than the RE262?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back